EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

View Poll Results: System Font Change - Poll
Like it 27 57.45%
Don't like it 20 42.55%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 20 May 2016, 05:59 PM   #16
robn
Master of the @

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Quote:
Originally Posted by gareth View Post
Thanks Rob that's interesting. I would suggest that Roboto doesn't work well on large screens at small sizes (same with source sans pro for me really) and would plead for Roboto to appear after Droid Sans if that wouldn't set a cat amongst the pigeons
Roboto has to have higher priority than Droid Sans, because older Android devices only have Droid, but newer ones have both. If Roboto was after, it would never get selected.
robn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2016, 06:00 PM   #17
gareth

Why not allow users to choose from a selection of web fonts? Impact on speed maybe... (not a font suggestion!)... what's wrong with fixedsys anyway? It looks nice on bank statements
gareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2016, 06:04 PM   #18
gareth

Are you able to offer whatever it was you used before, or was that a different list of local fonts?
Old 20 May 2016, 08:12 PM   #19
horatio8

I'm not sure how to vote because I think it looks really good on my Mac, but terrible on the Windows machine I have to use at work. On Windows 7 it's too lightweight and harder to read.
horatio8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2016, 09:09 PM   #20
Clive T

Quote:
Originally Posted by gareth View Post
New font looks extremely wishy-washy on Ubuntu/Chromium, Firefox slightly less so, but only slightly.

It also seems to be a lighter shade of grey (and smaller font size?) which makes reading on the web interface difficult for me.

Please would you undo this change or provide the old font as an option somehow?

Thanks
Gareth
I agree. It's v difficult to read here.
Clive T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2016, 12:23 AM   #21
horatio8

Switching to the San Francisco system font on my 5k iMac is a very nice option. I would vote a strong thumbs up for the font change on MacOS, but I still think it is too lightweight and hard to read on Windows.
horatio8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2016, 01:15 AM   #22
gareth

FWIW I think if you use the web interface on a phone where you're closer to the screen than with a laptop, desktop or tablet, it might look OK, but on anything else, it seems to me that Source Sans Pro just doesn't aid readability at small sizes. Its capitals don't seem too distinctively higher than lower-case letters, and its ascenders and descenders are a bit minimalist, so in the middle of a word, for example, "y" and "v" can look similar from a distance. The kerning also seems to be very close - which in light grey makes for a difficult reading experience in which you (or I at least) have to concentrate on deciphering the text before the meaning of what I'm reading.

Substituting this for "system font" (which, as robn has explained, on a non-phone or tablet device really seems to mean one of several you might have installed, rather than one actually used as your system font) is better... I find Roboto bearable but Ubuntu just as bad - nothing seems to be as clearly legible as whatever was used until recently - I really would like that option back

G
Old 22 May 2016, 03:06 AM   #23
CyberDyne
Master of the @

Personally. I like it on Firefox, but I'm finding it's too small on the iOS (iPhone) App. and it seems much more difficult to read from the same distance I've always used my phone.
CyberDyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2016, 03:13 AM   #24
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

A better poll would have been "Which did you prefer? Old font, new font". I don't dislike the new font, but I prefer the old font.
sflorack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2016, 03:27 AM   #25
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflorack View Post
A better poll would have been "Which did you prefer? Old font, new font"
Feel free to set up your own poll.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2016, 02:42 PM   #26
rnkn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberDyne View Post
Personally. I like it on Firefox, but I'm finding it's too small on the iOS (iPhone) App. and it seems much more difficult to read from the same distance I've always used my phone.
Huh? The new fonts are like 150% the size as the old on iOS....
rnkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2016, 01:11 PM   #27
SteveMetro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberDyne View Post
It's too small on the iOS (iPhone) App. and it seems much more difficult to read
Both the system and the Sans Pro are also small on the FM iPad app. I wish there was an option to make the email body font slightly larger, not as large as the larger font template
SteveMetro is offline   Reply With Quote