EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 22 Jul 2005, 08:27 AM   #1
jedilizagain
Essential Contributor

Ability to search ALL folders

I want the ability to search **all** my folders. It would make it easier to get emails I need to file the right away and also to get ones I need to delete to the trash folder.

for example:

I search for an email with the subject of "Historical Quotes" and the I would search ALL folders and then get the email search results for each folder.

If this could be implemented, I would be so grateful!
jedilizagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 30 Jul 2005, 07:56 AM   #2
PhiloVance
Essential Contributor

I'll me-too that. I was utterly dumbfounded that fm did not have this.
PhiloVance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Aug 2005, 01:48 AM   #3
MagicDavid

I agree - this would be very useful - at the moment I either have to use my mail client or go into each of my folders on Fastmail - which takes some time!

Last edited by MagicDavid : 10 Aug 2005 at 01:56 AM.
MagicDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Aug 2005, 03:46 AM   #4
theukrainian

+1 (i do think this one comes up once in a while)
theukrainian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Sep 2005, 10:27 AM   #5
jedilizagain
Essential Contributor

I hope its not wrong to bump this to page 1. I'm trying to find an email related to a password and its going to take forever to find it (if it exists) and it'd be so nice to enter the keyword and search ALL FOLDERS so I can find it (if it exists). I have a LOT of folders and its going to take forever to search them all individually.
Old 8 Sep 2005, 11:12 AM   #6
ReuvenNY

This has been requested many times in the past. Fastmail doesn't feel that this feature is important enough to give it priority.
ReuvenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Sep 2005, 01:40 PM   #7
pcs
Essential Contributor

Just to add to the chorus: I do hope that fastmail makes a "universal search" function, a priority. This is the one thing that I would probably use on an almost daily (and certainly weekly) basis that fastmail really lacks. At some point, hopefully fastmail will respond with some action to their users demand for this function.
pcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Sep 2005, 04:55 AM   #8
Rolf

I agree, this functionality would be REALLY nice! Keep this thread alive :-)

\Rolf
Rolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Sep 2005, 05:30 AM   #9
Sherry

Quote:
Originally posted by jedilizagain
I'm trying to find an email related to a password and its going to take forever to find it (if it exists) and it'd be so nice to enter the keyword and search ALL FOLDERS so I can find it (if it exists). I have a LOT of folders and its going to take forever to search them all individually.
Can you set up an IMAP account in an email client. Most will search all folders. I use OE and the searches are very fast...

(might need to be careful of BW use if you download all messages at once?)

Sherry
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Sep 2005, 06:43 AM   #10
jedilizagain
Essential Contributor

I do have that set up with Thunderbird, so I guess I could try that.......and then move messages to and from folders? Would that work?

Eventually, I'd like to do it with the webmail rather than the mail client (i.e. Outlook Express).
Old 26 Sep 2005, 06:54 AM   #11
Sherry

Quote:
Originally posted by jedilizagain
I do have that set up with Thunderbird, so I guess I could try that.......and then move messages to and from folders? Would that work?
I don't use Thunderbird so I'm not sure what you mean by moving messages to and from folders or why you would do that. If it works like OE then just look for the feature in Thunderbird to search for messages, do the search and it should list all emails that match what you asked for? From that screen you should be able to open each email till you find the one you want.

Sherry
Old 26 Sep 2005, 07:20 AM   #12
Sherry

Perhaps This will help.

When you get there look down to the one that says "Thunderbird:Help Documentation:Finding Information in Messages ..." (I think it's the third hit) That should take you to a page explaining how to do your searches...

Sherry
Old 26 Sep 2005, 08:22 PM   #13
eggman
Essential Contributor

until fastmail offer multiple folder search I will just have one big archive folder which all old mail is filed into.

The search works fine but I would expect it uses loads of resources for a ~ 500mb search...

This is kind of my way of implementing g-mail style functionality.
eggman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Oct 2005, 11:00 AM   #14
ao1
Essential Contributor

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by ReuvenNY
This has been requested many times in the past. Fastmail doesn't feel that this feature is important enough to give it priority.
Huh?

What better indication of an important feature than it "has been requested many times in the past"?
ao1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Oct 2005, 11:51 AM   #15
jedilizagain
Essential Contributor

this is way too complicated to do in IMAP. I need to delete a bulk of emails (clean up folders) but its very hard to do this folder by folder and takes a lot of time and patience. I'd love to be able to search for an email across ALL folders via the webmail and not using the downloading client.

Please, fastmail consider this.........