EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Early Warning...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Early Warning... If an email service has closed down or changed the services it offers, or if there are indications it is about to do so, post about it here.

Old 31 May 2005, 06:43 AM   #1
xbot
Cornerstone of the Community

Representative of:
xxos.us
BeanRack offline

I was informed by Steve this morning that Beanrack had been down for 4-5 hours. I confirmed this. Originally, I didn't want to junk up the forums with petty downtime, but it has now been offline the entire day. I'm attempting contact with my host at the moment, and hopefully we'll be back online soon.

UPDATE: I have contacted my host. Apparently the servers are being moved, and by the end of the day Beanrack should be back online. No exact time has been set, however.

UPDATE2: Still no joy. I'm concerned as to what is taking so long for things to be moved. The admin did mention to me he was switching to Fedora, but certainly that doesn't take 2 days. Hopefully beanrack can be back online soon.

Last edited by xbot : 2 Jun 2005 at 06:18 AM.
xbot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 2 Jun 2005, 07:31 AM   #2
jedilizagain
Essential Contributor

I hope so, too. I need to download emails.

Thanks for keeping us informed!
jedilizagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Jun 2005, 08:39 AM   #3
xbot

Representative of:
xxos.us
Quote:
Originally posted by jedilizagain
I hope so, too. I need to download emails.

Thanks for keeping us informed!

Good news. My host has informed me the reason for the downtime: trouble with the DNS server. However, the problem has been fixed, and access should be restored shortly. Currently your access to Beanrack depends on your ISP, as it may take some time for your ISP to recognize the latest DNS server updates. Sorry for all the downtime as a result of this, but in the end you should have a faster, more reliable connection to Beanrack.
Old 5 Jun 2005, 08:24 AM   #4
Trip
Master of the @

Representative of:
Runbox.com
BeanRack is still unreachable for me. Even after flushing my DNS cache.

xbot, any updates?

Trip
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Jun 2005, 08:32 AM   #5
jedilizagain
Essential Contributor

me neither, haven't been able to download emails since the 30th

Maybe by Monday......after all this week did begin with a holiday and maybe things just went slow.
Old 5 Jun 2005, 08:36 AM   #6
xbot

Representative of:
xxos.us
I'm getting extremely concerned over this issue.

But I have confirmed that this is indeed a DNS issue - I was able to get through to the new server's IP. I'm still working with my host on it, and I've never seen Steve more angry at air
Old 9 Jun 2005, 11:10 AM   #7
xbot

Representative of:
xxos.us
BeanRack: Problems Fixed!

After a week of being down, our host has located the problem. An error in the conf file allowed connections only by the server itself. This has been fixed. We also learned the nameservers changed, but we have made changes to our nameservers to reflect the new names.

Service should be restored within the next 24-72 hours, depending on how often your ISP updates it's DNS. If you have any trouble with your email, please post them here. I'll do my best to fix them, being that my ISP hasn't fixed the problem either. But I can still access cPanel, which is what matters
Old 9 Jun 2005, 11:49 AM   #8
Trip
Master of the @

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Re: BeanRack: Problems Fixed!

Quote:
Originally posted by xbot
After a week of being down, our host has located the problem....But I can still access cPanel, which is what matters
Maybe what also matters is that your users can finally access their email? I'm sure they can all embrace such a friendly outlook for so long, but being anything less than explanatory and responsible duing such prolonged downtime may not exude the most professional appearance, especially in light of that fact that people pay for your services.

Something to think about down the road?

Trip
Old 9 Jun 2005, 11:58 AM   #9
xbot

Representative of:
xxos.us
Re: Re: BeanRack: Problems Fixed!

Quote:
Originally posted by Trip
Maybe what also matters is that your users can finally access their email? I'm sure they can all embrace such a friendly outlook for so long, but being anything less than explanatory and responsible duing such prolonged downtime may not exude the most professional appearance, especially in light of that fact that people pay for your services.

Something to think about down the road?

Trip
I intended that meaning for the time being.

By the way, a bit more trouble seems to have arisen. During the switch, the domains aren't being controlled by the DNS anymore. Normally I would be able to just add those back in.

But they are still listed in the conf file.

However, you MIGHT be able to access your mail. This isn't guaranteed to work, however, it should in theory. Make sure to use POP.

Change the server address from 'beanrack.com' to 'xxos.us'. This is a temporary [potential] fix, until we get Beanrack back online. I'm working on fixing it right now.
Old 11 Jun 2005, 02:08 AM   #10
jedilizagain
Essential Contributor

the 'xxos.us worked!

Oh man, the week downtime made me have a backlog of emails..........almost 2000!
Old 12 Jun 2005, 06:24 AM   #11
Trip
Master of the @

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Still is down for me....You guys still running the service or what?

Trip
Old 12 Jun 2005, 11:37 AM   #12
jedilizagain
Essential Contributor

no emails received after the 30th of May were downloaded into my inbox and other folders in OE. Is it possible they weren't received or is it because I had to use the xxos.us for the server?
Old 12 Jun 2005, 12:51 PM   #13
xbot

Representative of:
xxos.us
beanrack.com would normally be the server address.

Hopefully such a switch won't have to happen again. The new server, by the way, is a FreeBSD Server, with 1TB of storage (A series of 157GB drives), 3GHz processor, and 1GB of RAM.

The storage/bandwidth is being shared with a game server, but this is a dedicated server paid for by my host, so there shouldn't be any major conflicts. Which hopefully will be a better set up than xMail was

I don't know how long it will take to fix this domain problem. I've figured out a solution, but I'll need my host to be able to carry it out. It won't cause any loss of current email.

NOTE: The 'xxos.us' fix only allows access to the mail already in youf older. Any mail you've received during both the downtime and the DNS mayhem may not be received.
Old 14 Jun 2005, 09:47 AM   #14
jedilizagain
Essential Contributor

any idea when I'll start receiving new email again? I don't know how many emails I missed but if there were any important ones......I'll be a tad upset......
Old 14 Jun 2005, 10:24 AM   #15
xbot

Representative of:
xxos.us
Quote:
Originally posted by jedilizagain
any idea when I'll start receiving new email again? I don't know how many emails I missed but if there were any important ones......I'll be a tad upset......
I have my host working on it right now.

You can now access mail. But not much else. Mail can't be sent or received yet. This is because the server is still denying mail protocol requests. I'm working with my host on this as I type this