EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Closed Thread

Old 2 Feb 2006, 05:23 PM   #1
King Of Email
Cornerstone of the Community

Arrow New free email service

Takemail.com is offering 100MB free email accounts with WAP/Imode access, and spam/anti-virus. It has a pretty good looking inbox and more compose fonts than most. It also has free e-cards as a part of its service and it's based on Ajax(?) technology, whatever that means.

It's a good substitute for users kicked out of Galaway's "free" service after they went to Runbox and hit users up for money for what was promised to be free. At least this service isn't based on Hivemail, Socketmail, Squirrelmail, or other well known, but poor-average quality email applications.

Old 2 Feb 2006, 10:18 PM   #2
theog
= Permanently banned =

wow... that was nice! It has a fast, no-nonsense setup. Finally, a new service gets that no one likes to have to hunt around the net to figure how to join the service or fill out ridiculous forms and questions.

I tested for about 5 minutes, so I can’t say anything about reliability… but when I sent and email from the account… a simple “test” that I use with all new email service, it was caught in my spam trap. Rated a “10” in everyone.net. This was really odd, since NO email service, especially, a new email address ever rated with my everyone.net spam control. This was only my second false-positive in years. The first was an email joke littered with stuff that should have been caught (it was an email joke sent from a friend).

Hmm… I sent the same message from several of my other test accounts without incident. I put the takemail IP through a system to see if it was labeled as spam, it was not.

I still like the service though… I’ll have to test more and see what others say.

I did not see IMAP…
Old 2 Feb 2006, 11:24 PM   #3
stonecypher

Looks real good to me . . . except for the lack of IMAP and secure login.
Old 2 Feb 2006, 11:25 PM   #4
rmns2bseen
Master of the @

Nahhh...100 MB storage limit, 60 day inactivity cutoff period, no POP3 or IMAP, "targeted ads", no forwarding (although it can poll external accounts)...seems this service's main selling point is the Ajax interface, and most SquirrelMail implementations I've seen are far more useful, if not as pretty.
Old 3 Feb 2006, 12:05 AM   #5
jeffpan
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
tls-mail.com
I test it for some times,following my feeling,it's not a stable service.maybe it's so new...
Old 3 Feb 2006, 01:01 AM   #6
rmns2bseen
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by jeffpan
maybe it's so new...
That's true...maybe they'll add new features as time goes on.
Old 3 Feb 2006, 04:26 PM   #7
King Of Email

More free ones

Try TR64.com. It's a 500 MB Hivemail based box with a nice short address.

Also go to Caribgo.com, a very nice looking 500 MB Socketmail based box with other useful features.

And, if your want Squirrelmail, go to Hismail.com or Hermail.com. It's a 100 MB box just like Galaway was.

Finally, there is Freekat.com. This is a 3 GB Hivemail based free email service that I registered for and got, but did not get an activation link at my alternative email address. I tested my alternate address and it was working fine, so either they are slow, in beta, or they aren't on the level.
Old 3 Feb 2006, 08:55 PM   #8
ReuvenNY

Welcome to the forum, King Of Email!

Those are some interesting email services. How did you find them? Any additional?
Old 4 Feb 2006, 12:51 AM   #9
King Of Email

Lightbulb Free email; where to look

Quote:
Originally posted by ReuvenNY
Welcome to the forum, King Of Email!

Those are some interesting email services. How did you find them? Any additional?
Believe it or not, through MSN searches, NOT Google. Google seems to be dropping the ball on its original mission, being a top notch search engine first and foremost.

Also, some of these services only appear one or twice in search engine algorithms even though they are active.

An additional free email service is: Galaxysurf.com, a 250 MB Hivemail based email box. http://www.galaxysurf.com/mail/
Old 4 Feb 2006, 02:53 AM   #10
theog
= Permanently banned =

Re: More free ones

Quote:
Originally posted by King Of Email
Try TR64.com. It's a 500 MB Hivemail based box with a nice short address.

Also go to Caribgo.com, a very nice looking 500 MB Socketmail based box with other useful features.

And, if your want Squirrelmail, go to Hismail.com or Hermail.com. It's a 100 MB box just like Galaway was.

Finally, there is Freekat.com. This is a 3 GB Hivemail based free email service that I registered for and got, but did not get an activation link at my alternative email address. I tested my alternate address and it was working fine, so either they are slow, in beta, or they aren't on the level.
I was looking for a system to replace an everyone.net account I had with one of my sites (free email). Thanks for the hivemail and socketmail info, that was great. I was also able to do some reasearch on another project...

Thanks,

OG
Old 4 Feb 2006, 03:22 PM   #11
King Of Email

Thumbs up Freekat update

You're welcome theog.

BTW, all, I just got my activation link for Freekat.com free 3 GB Hivemail based email account. It took a day or so, but it seems on the level. Go here to signup:

http://mail.freekat.com/main.html

*Make sure to use an active, working alternate email account to sign up for this service.
Old 6 Feb 2006, 02:29 AM   #12
glebarr
Essential Contributor

tried takemail, but it was too slow on the 3 computers I used....caribgo works really good though and looks great
Old 6 Feb 2006, 03:09 AM   #13
SAS

At first glance I thought that caribgo was a really dumb domain name, but now that I've seen it, I understand it. I really like the interface and so far the rest of it seems quite nice, too.
Old 6 Feb 2006, 06:09 PM   #14
pyedka

I have no good impression about Hivemail or Socketmail.

Besides, a test mail sent from carbigo to gmail fell into the spam folder; the mail sent from hismail has 4 taglines.
Old 8 Feb 2006, 05:32 PM   #15
King Of Email

Spam wars

Quote:
Originally posted by pyedka
I have no good impression about Hivemail or Socketmail.

Besides, a test mail sent from carbigo to gmail fell into the spam folder; the mail sent from hismail has 4 taglines.
pyedka, I've noticed a lot of cross "warfare" between different email providers all because of attempts to stop spam at the server level. Whereas before I never had any trouble sending email to other accounts, now there is a good likelyhood that legitimate email sent will never arrive because the system classifies it as either spam or a threat and it never gets there.

Also, now it is hit or miss getting legitimate, wanted and solicited emails from newsgroups and websites to your mailbox as they also have been identified as spam and blocked by system algorithms.

Due to these various automatic filters, I've had to go back to basic "no frills" free email services just to be able to receive email from businesses and websites I want. So far, I've haven't had a lot of blockage from Outblaze based free email services which are usually only 5 MB of storage.

There are many like this. I use http://www.web.com/html/email/index.html also an Outblaze based service but 100 MB.

Unfortunately, problems with spammers and virus authors have made using and sending email, difficult and unpredictable.

Finally, if all else fails, sign up for a free email service based on older, earlier email applications. They are basic, no frills, but don't seem to reject mail sent. http://www.satline.net/cgi-bin/cwmail.cgi a 10 MB box is one example of this.

Last edited by King Of Email : 8 Feb 2006 at 05:41 PM.
Closed Thread