EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

View Poll Results: Another poll: Which FM user level(s) are you at?(sorry if this has been asked before)
Guest 18 12.95%
Member 30 21.58%
Full 41 29.50%
Enhanced 54 38.85%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Old 30 Nov 2002, 04:08 AM   #46
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

To me, mailhaven.com has a Tolkeinesque feel to it...

("One mailbox to ditch them all" [spammers, that is]... )
robert@fm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Nov 2002, 04:31 AM   #47
teri

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by robert@fm
To me, mailhaven.com has a Tolkeinesque feel to it...

("One mailbox to ditch them all" [spammers, that is]... )
Could you explain "Tolkeinisque" to those of us who are not necessary into literature?
teri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Nov 2002, 05:15 AM   #48
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

I was referring to the current fad for Lord of the Rings, which has place names such as "The Grey Havens" and the like...

(I hope that Fellowship of the Ring gets a showing again, as I suspect is due to happen, so that I can get to see it at last before going to see Two Towers...)
Old 30 Nov 2002, 05:18 AM   #49
annezo

domain names

fastmail.fm

allmail.net
annezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Nov 2002, 08:39 AM   #50
teri

Quote:
Originally posted by sjk
Unless you intend to pay for aliases in different FastMail domains when they become distinct from each other it's probably best to use a single domain for all aliases.....So if you're using addresses with different domains you might want to consider "standardizing" on just one domain now. Otherwise e-mail may eventually stop reaching you at the other domain addresses that still work for now.

Right - I understand that. I guess my dilemma (as to why I presently have aliases in two other domain names) is that I wasn't allowed to use proper names for my aliases, and the user name I will therefore likely go back to once I revert back from Full to Regular sounds better (at least to me) with the other two domain names. So I hope the mandatory choice of one domain name won't be for some time, or I will have another dilemma!
Old 27 Jan 2003, 12:03 PM   #51
tony_here
Essential Contributor

postpro.net
I think it is very profesional.
It is the one I like the best.
Tony
tony_here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jan 2003, 07:18 PM   #52
watchdis

i'm all for the original fastmail.fm because it also gives me a chance to promote the service i also use xsmail.com because its easy to remember and has a ring to it. i might get a sent.com alias aswell, as that has just got to be easy to remember

don't get how people think these collections of letters are easy to remember. they may be short but they would confuse the hell out of most people i know.
watchdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jan 2003, 11:26 PM   #53
denverharless
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally posted by watchdis
i'm all for the original fastmail.fm because it also gives me a chance to promote the service
I agree. I like to have people go check it out on the website. I also like sent.at and mailc.net. Incidentally, does anyone know why it's mailc--is it short for mailcan?
denverharless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jan 2003, 11:29 PM   #54
teri

Quote:
Originally posted by watchdis
...i also use xsmail.com because its easy to remember and has a ring to it....

don't get how people think these collections of letters are easy to remember. they may be short but they would confuse the hell out of most people i know.

That's your opinion. I don't personally care for xsmail.com; it does nothing for me. I have changed my mind several times about my home domain and have now gone back to good ole mailhaven.com. But I still think imap.cc and speedpost.net are catchy as well, and I like postpro.net too. I liked airpost.net till I realized how easily it would be mistaken for "airport". It'll be a relief when we are required to choose one, so I don't keep changing my mind! Teri
Old 27 Jan 2003, 11:40 PM   #55
denverharless

xsmail

I hadn't thought about xsmail until now. I kind of like it. It's got a tech-geeky look to it. I'd just be afraid that people would try to spell it out: excessmail.com

I don't know if suggestions are still being taken on this front, but I'd kinda like to see sent.net on the list. It appears to be for sale.
denverharless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jan 2003, 11:49 PM   #56
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

I think I'd use fastmail.co.uk if it were available...
Old 27 Jan 2003, 11:59 PM   #57
kinetic
Essential Contributor

mailc = mail see ?

I prefer
fastmail.fm
mailcan.com
myfastmail.com

Personally I am not really happy about any of the domain names.
kinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jan 2003, 01:46 AM   #58
teri

Quote:
Originally posted by kinetic
Personally I am not really happy about any of the domain names.
Then you might consider buying a domain you do like ($8.95 a year at godaddy.com) and setting up a free account at mydomain.com to have your mail that's sent to that domain forwarded to your FM addy. I do that and it works great. That way, you can have any E-mail address you want (as long as the domain you like is available)! Teri
Old 28 Jan 2003, 02:05 AM   #59
Onno

I agree. com/net/org domains are becoming so ridiculously cheap that it's hard to pass up. Unfortunately it's getting harder all the time to find a name that's not too long, not too hard to remember and easy to convey over the phone. Basically, if you're considering it, better get one now than tomorrow cause the name you want may be gone.

I only got my domain yesterday but I'm already quite happy with it. (MX-records are pointing towards FM, of course).
Onno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jan 2003, 02:08 AM   #60
oysterquartz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by Onno
I agree. com/net/org domains are becoming so ridiculously cheap that it's hard to pass up. Unfortunately it's getting harder all the time to find a name that's not too long, not too hard to remember and easy to convey over the phone. Basically, if you're considering it, better get one now than tomorrow cause the name you want may be gone.

I only got my domain yesterday but I'm already quite happy with it. (MX-records are pointing towards FM, of course).
Onno, are you in Oz? Do many Australians look at .co.au domains as a feasible alternative to .com, etc. I know that Europeans are quite happy with their national .tlds
oysterquartz is offline   Reply With Quote