EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 14 Aug 2003, 09:51 PM   #1
Killer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Killer.kkk.sg
numlock on

Can anyone tell me how to enable numlock on in WinXP? Everytime it logoff it will off the numlock....
Killer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 14 Aug 2003, 10:20 PM   #2
Edwin
 Administrator 

I think you have to enable it in your computer's BIOS. That's the program that runs at the very, very beginning for a few seconds when you switch the power on.

There's a mention of the issue in this article, for example.

The tricky bit is finding out what BIOS your computer has (there are hundreds of slightly different ones) and then working out what configuration setting menu talks about NumLock.

WARNING: Be very, very careful not to change anything else in your BIOS settings when you change the NumLock setting, as this could permanently disable your PC...

Added: here's a long article all about getting Numlock to behave. Might find a solution in there too.

Incidentally, if you're wondering how I found the above references, I went to www.Google.com and then searched for xp boot numlock on and looked at the first few results.
Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Aug 2003, 01:58 AM   #3
Killer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Killer.kkk.sg
I doubt it has anything to do with the bios because it doesn't off the numlock in Win95 and 98.....
Old 15 Aug 2003, 07:46 AM   #4
fastashell
Essential Contributor

Re: numlock on

Quote:
Originally posted by Killer
Can anyone tell me how to enable numlock on in WinXP? Everytime it logoff it will off the numlock....
There is a handy little software application called System Mechanic which will let you adjust LOTS of settings on your computer, including getting it to turn the Numlock key on whenever you boot your PC.

It will do lots of other things too, well worth a look.

You can find it at: www.iolo.com
fastashell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Aug 2003, 08:04 AM   #5
fastashell
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Another bit of info I forgot in my previous post.

There is another way you can get numlock to default to on.

Have a look at this article HERE
Old 16 Aug 2003, 01:42 AM   #6
Dave P in StLouis
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Dear Killer,

If you don't find a solution anywhere else, I'll write a small program that will turn NumLock on for you; you'll need to put a shortcut to it in your Startup group. Those of us who remember DOS used to do that sort of thing all the time.

Best wishes,
David P.
Dave P in StLouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Aug 2003, 04:35 AM   #7
kander
The "e" in e-mail

Yup... I once made a bootmanager written in .bat format It was simple, it was sweet but above all: It was mine, and mine alone

Some things I remember it being able to do:

1. Change numlock and capslock to either On or Off.
2. Choose Windows 3.11, Dos (Menu) or Dos (Prompt) to boot.
3. Write an entry into a bootlog with the date command.

It did more stuff but I can't remember it all... long time ago.

I will never forget the day my sister spilled lemonade over my computer, frying the harddrive quite effectively. :'( That was before I learned about backups...

--K
kander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Aug 2003, 09:03 AM   #8
Killer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Killer.kkk.sg
Re: Re: numlock on

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave P in StLouis
Dear Killer,

If you don't find a solution anywhere else, I'll write a small program that will turn NumLock on for you; you'll need to put a shortcut to it in your Startup group. Those of us who remember DOS used to do that sort of thing all the time.

Best wishes,
David P.
Thanks for the offer. I have a program that turn on the numlock in DOS but I am running XP now. It will turn off at the logon screen. I always got used to enter with the number pad and the numlock was off....
Old 16 Aug 2003, 11:49 PM   #9
Dave P in StLouis
Cornerstone of the Community

Dear Killer,

The stuff in your Startup folder executes after you see the logon screen so the program you already have should work. If not, try this Windows XP utility program called "NumLock."

Best wishes,
David P.
Dave P in StLouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Aug 2003, 05:01 AM   #10
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by kander
Yup... I once made a bootmanager written in .bat format It was simple, it was sweet but above all: It was mine, and mine alone
I recently solved a problem on a friend's computer, with an unwanted task called "Sound Blaster Live Update".  This task is (I think) supposed to check the Internet for driver updates, but on a computer without Internet access it just sits there, using resources needlessly.  The main problem is that it needs to be shut down whenever a hard-drive defrag or CD burning session is to be done, but shutting it down sometimes crashes Windows.

I'd long since found that the offending program is called UPDTRAY.EXE, but couldn't find where it is launched from (it wasn't in the Run section of the Registry).  So what I did to get rid of it was:
  1. Located where the program is on the hard drive.
  2. After closing it, renamed it OLD-UPDTRAY.EXE.
  3. Using Borland Delphi 7, created in that directory a console application called UPDTRAY.EXE which does nothing but return immediately.

Problem solved!
robert@fm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Aug 2003, 07:49 AM   #11
fastashell
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by robert@fm

I'd long since found that the offending program is called UPDTRAY.EXE, but couldn't find where it is launched from (it wasn't in the Run section of the Registry).  So what I did to get rid of it was:

Some of those things can be a real bugger to find! Win XP Pro is particularly bad with things that insist on loading and/or popping up at annoyingly regular intervals. I reckon I've spent hours over the time I've had XP tracking them down and killing them.

There are some registry cleaners out there that can help sometimes. If you find the executable you can remove it and maybe the cleaner will find it in the registry and remove it.
Old 17 Aug 2003, 09:42 AM   #12
Shelded

Put this in a file.vbs and put the file in your startup group. That's how I solved it on my NT system.

set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
WshShell.SendKeys "{NUMLOCK}"
Shelded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Aug 2003, 10:41 AM   #13
Killer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Killer.kkk.sg
Ok guys, thanks for the info. I am not good in vbs and will be confused.

What my problem is, WinXP domain logon screen to have the numlock on. I have no idea of the startup folder. My thinking is that the startup folder only works for certain users when logged in??

Last edited by Killer : 17 Aug 2003 at 10:48 AM.
Old 17 Aug 2003, 03:51 PM   #14
fastashell
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Ok guys, thanks for the info. I am not good in vbs and will be confused.

What my problem is, WinXP domain logon screen to have the numlock on. I have no idea of the startup folder. My thinking is that the startup folder only works for certain users when logged in??
I'm not entirely sure I'm clear on exactly what you're saying/asking here but XP definitely has user profiles and you can configure each of them to do and display different things when you log on/off. In addition to the various user profiles there is also one called All Users which is a sort of universal profile that can affect all the other user profiles when you log on. You need to check that too.
Old 17 Aug 2003, 05:42 PM   #15
Killer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Killer.kkk.sg
Quote:
Originally posted by fastashell
I'm not entirely sure I'm clear on exactly what you're saying/asking here but XP definitely has user profiles and you can configure each of them to do and display different things when you log on/off. In addition to the various user profiles there is also one called All Users which is a sort of universal profile that can affect all the other user profiles when you log on. You need to check that too.
Can I have a simple answer to my simple question: How to have the numlock ON at the logon screen in WinXP ? It doesn't matter who or which user. I only need the numlock on at the logon screen.