EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 15 Aug 2003, 01:00 AM   #1
Annonymous

I Have A Problem

Every time I try to download music files of 256K, I get bumped out
before the download is complete. Is there anything I can do to stop this from happening? It doesn't happen with the 56K downloads, however 56K isn't the best quality picture, so that's why I prefer the 256K downloads. If anyone has any suggestions
on how to remedy this situation, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Annonymous is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 15 Aug 2003, 07:34 AM   #2
fastashell
Essential Contributor

Re: I Have A Problem

Quote:
Originally posted by Annonymous
Every time I try to download music files of 256K, I get bumped out
before the download is complete. Is there anything I can do to stop this from happening? It doesn't happen with the 56K downloads, however 56K isn't the best quality picture, so that's why I prefer the 256K downloads. If anyone has any suggestions
on how to remedy this situation, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
It's a little difficult to diagnose your problem with so little information. There could be dozens of reasons why it's happening. Perhaps you could tell us what programs you're using, what sort of connection you're using, where you're trying to download from. can you download other large files, etc., etc., etc.
fastashell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Aug 2003, 12:11 PM   #3
Edwin
 Administrator 

Re: Re: I Have A Problem

Quote:
Originally posted by fastashell
where you're trying to download from
Of course, only if they're legal music files. Otherwise, I'm afraid nobody here can help...
Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Aug 2003, 12:20 PM   #4
Killer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Killer.kkk.sg
I believe Annonymous is re-asking this question again. As with this thread except he is giving lesser information of the problem.
Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Aug 2003, 03:25 PM   #5
fastashell
Essential Contributor

Re: Re: Re: I Have A Problem

Quote:
Originally posted by Edwin
Of course, only if they're legal music files. Otherwise, I'm afraid nobody here can help...

I guess he figures no one will notice your warning in the other thread!
fastashell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Aug 2003, 01:47 AM   #6
Dave P in StLouis
Cornerstone of the Community

Re: Re: Re: Re: I Have A Problem

Quote:
Originally posted by fastashell
I guess he figures no one will notice your warning in the other thread!
Dear fastashell and all,

I know Annonymous and I'm sure she isn't trying to download anything illegal. Edwin's warning, while perfectly understandable, doesn't apply, nor is she ignoring it. Now, does anyone have anything constructive to add? I don't download much music, so I can't be much help myself.

Best wishes,
David P.
Dave P in StLouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Aug 2003, 06:03 AM   #7
Annonymous

I Have A Problem

I really resent anyone thinking I am trying to download illegal music files. I would never even think of doing such a thing. I came to this forum with a ligitimate question and hoping someone
would be willing and able to help. I see now that it was a mistake. I'm sorry if I wasted anyone's time. It won't happen again, as I have decided with the posting of this message, it will be the last that I post here. I guess from now on, I'll just have to figure things out
for my myself and on my own.

Last edited by Annonymous : 16 Aug 2003 at 06:07 AM.
Annonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Aug 2003, 07:06 AM   #8
JeffK

Sorry about the experience you have had on the forum. Don't take it too hard. Try to give more info as fastashell suggested. I've no expertise to help but there will be others.

Jeff
JeffK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Aug 2003, 07:40 AM   #9
kander
The "e" in e-mail

Sorry if you feel offended by the the reaction of the community. Your post was kinda.. unclear to me as well, so more details would certainly be appreciated.

And I think it's good that Edwin pointed out that in case you were up to no good you'd better be gone, so that there wouldn't be any mistakes about that. Perhaps it's a bit of a predicament, but I personally think that if you were not conducting any illegal activity you should just disregard that posting...

Have you tried using a download resumer of sorts? I have good experiences with FlashGet, that really helps me when a server tends to cut off my connection from time to time.

--K
kander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Aug 2003, 07:46 AM   #10

Re: I Have A Problem

Quote:
Originally posted by Annonymous
I see now that it was a mistake. I'm sorry if I wasted anyone's time. It won't happen again, as I have decided with the posting of this message, it will be the last that I post here. I guess from now on, I'll just have to figure things out
for my myself and on my own.
Why do people take forum comments so personally?
Old 16 Aug 2003, 07:56 AM   #11
btn
Cornerstone of the Community

Representative of:
Everyone.net
Lightbulb Re: I Have A Problem

Anon, based on the info that you can download 56K files fine but not 256K files, I speculate the server might be timing-out. i.e. Your client is taking too long to download the file so the server is closing the connection. Depending on the type of server, you may be able to find a client that will let you resume partial downloads so you can download the file incrementally if the server disconnects you.
btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Aug 2003, 09:13 AM   #12
Edwin
 Administrator 

Re: Re: I Have A Problem

Quote:
Originally posted by Stormcrow
Why do people take forum comments so personally?
Because words typed and displayed on screen generally can't convey nuance.

Also, a lot of people seem to get confused by IF...THEN... (ELSE) type of posts i.e. IF this applies to you THEN do X (ELSE) completely forget it since it doesn't apply to you - and they get hung up on the "do X" part, and never get to the "forget it" part.

The problem is that it's hard to see another way of posting what I would call a "gentle warning" when I don't know anything at all about the other person or what their intentions are...
Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Aug 2003, 09:23 AM   #13
kander
The "e" in e-mail

Agreed Edwin... couldn't have said it better!

I'm not sure if there actually IS a better way.. well, apart from recording a video and sending it to them

--K
kander is offline   Reply With Quote