EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Runbox Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Runbox Forum Everything related to Runbox should go here: suggestions, comments, complaints, questions, technical issues, etc.

Old 22 Sep 2004, 02:29 AM   #1
pingme97
Essential Contributor

Unhappy Junk Junk and Junk

I am receiving just toooooo much of junk mails...though they are going into my trashfolder its annoying to see tras folder filled by some 20-30 new mails every day

my hotmail/yahoo is far far better I am using these accounts for more than 5 yrs but avg junk mails never been more than 2-5

This is so fustrating

Can any one suggest me way out to imprve this
pingme97 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 22 Sep 2004, 03:29 AM   #2
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
If they are going to the Trash folder then it seems the spam filter is doing it's job. There's not much more you can really do. If the spammers have or figure out your email address you will get spam.

The amount of spam I'm receiving seems to have jumped again in the past week. The last several days I've been getting 50-100 per day but they've all been flagged as spam and put into my spam folder.

My Yahoo account has accumulated about 300 junk mails this past week too.

About all you can do is change your email address.

Regards,
Rich
carverrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Sep 2004, 07:38 PM   #3
Liz
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Remember also that Dspam is on the way..although it too will send spam to a designated folder.

Liz
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Sep 2004, 12:53 PM   #4
pingme97
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
Remember also that Dspam is on the way..although it too will send spam to a designated folder.

Liz
Okay I found it from the trash it is coming from only one site for a perticular person, I suppose the name was used by some one else earlier. Now the problem is when u get 20 or so emails in trash, you have to check everytime if there is any valid email sitting their

I also blocked the domain, after blocking cant these messages be discarded rather than sending to the designated folder?

Else, only way I can think of is chenge of username

Old 24 Sep 2004, 08:03 PM   #5
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Blocked messages don't go to your mailbox at all. They are discarded.

The "block sender" is limited to testing the entries of the "From" field.

Regards,
Rich
Old 24 Sep 2004, 08:30 PM   #6
msrosie

Yesterday, I went to my Yahoo box since I'd switched a couple groups' mail to it, and there were over 1700 spam messages. It had been about a month since I'd last logged into that mail account. So, I'm not complaining about the less than 10 true spam messages I get per day here lol. (tho I do get a lot of legit messages in the folder I have spam messages filtered to)

On all of the Yahoo groups I belong to, I have the member list hidden from members, as a spam reduction tool. I wish all the group owners would do the same. I also don't post my runbox or ISP address on message boards or for community signups etc - I use a hotmail address for that. Keeps spam to a minimum here.

Rosie
msrosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Sep 2004, 09:34 PM   #7
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Once Runbox rolls out the DSPAM filter I think everyone will see much better spam filtering here. I've been using it since they started beta testing it and it works GREAT! I use to have a number of extra filters to catch SPAM that SpamAssassin didn't classify as SPAM but now those filters rarely catch anything because DSPAM has already flagged it. It is a trainable spam filter so you will have to give it some time to "learn" your messages but it didn't take more than a week before mine was working well.

Regards,
Rich
Old 24 Sep 2004, 09:47 PM   #8
msrosie

Cool, Rich! When will that be out?

All in all though, I'm very happy with Runbox. I've been with you for about a year and a half now, and would never go back to the free mailboxes for my primary email. Even Yahoo increasing it's box size couldn't lure me back! Runbox is worth every penny.

Rosie
msrosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Sep 2004, 11:33 PM   #9
pingme97
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by carverrn
Once Runbox rolls out the DSPAM filter I think everyone will see much better spam filtering here. I've been using it since they started beta testing it and it works GREAT! I use to have a number of extra filters to catch SPAM that SpamAssassin didn't classify as SPAM but now those filters rarely catch anything because DSPAM has already flagged it. It is a trainable spam filter so you will have to give it some time to "learn" your messages but it didn't take more than a week before mine was working well.

Regards,
Rich
As per my knowlege, my account is part of Beta and DSPAM sends the spammed msg to relevant folder

I blocked the entire domain so either it is not working or the domain guy is playing some trick

Old 24 Sep 2004, 11:48 PM   #10
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Hi Rosie,

I don't remember what Liz said exactly but I believe it's suppose to be rolled out real soon. Like maybe within the next month or so? If you PM (Private Message) Trond (his username here is trond) with your Runbox usrename he could probably turn it on for you now. You can refer to Trond's orginal posting for details Trainable spam filter ready for beta testing

By the way, I'm not with Runbox. I'm just another "user" like yourself. I just like to help out where I can. There's a few of us "Runbox Geeks" that hang out here.

Liz, Geir, Trond and Hans are the Runbox people. From time to time you might also see a response from Tore who is with Linpro (they host Runbox's mail servers).

Regards,
Rich
Old 25 Sep 2004, 12:11 AM   #11
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Quote:
Originally posted by pingme97
As per my knowlege, my account is part of Beta and DSPAM sends the spammed msg to relevant folder

I blocked the entire domain so either it is not working or the domain guy is playing some trick

Unless they've changed the processing with DSPAM, Block Senders is processed separate from spam.

Block Senders is a built-in filter that runs at an Order value of -2 and removes/deletes deletes a message if the From address or domain appears in your Block Senders List.

Spam Filter is a built-in filter that runs at an Order value of -1 and moves spam to the configured spam folder (based on the SpamAssassin or DSPAM information added to the message header).

Filters are processed from lowest Order value to highest Order value so Block Senders is performed ahead of Spam Filter.

So if the message is appearing in your spam folder it wasn't recognized as a blocked address or domain. Double check the "From" address in the header of the message with what's in your Blocked Senders List.

Regards,
Rich
Old 25 Sep 2004, 03:26 AM   #12
Liz
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Dspam is due in 1-2 weeks initially, but since we are having a staff change here right now, it may be a trifle delayed...

And yes, blocked senders is just part of each user's Exim filter file, really.

Liz
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote