EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Help Needed!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Help Needed! Having problems with your email service, or with the email software you're using? Post your questions and answers here!

Old 22 Jan 2018, 07:41 AM   #1
Flint

Gmail filters help required

Hi,
We have a club with a single gmail account that is used for all incoming emails. There are four of us that can log on and use the account, maybe at the same or different times from different devices.

I'm trying to set up a filter that takes incoming PayPal messages of incoming payments and forwards them to my own email address so I don't have to keep monitoring the club account which is full of other stuff I'm not interested in.

It looks like to get the filter to work I have to enable POP and/or IMAP. My question is this: If I enable POP or IMAP if needed, and have a filter set to forward the mails but leave the mail in gmail but marked as 'read', will I have stopped the other users from recieving the original incoming mail on their phones?

Both POP and IMAP are currently disabled and I'm worried I may stop the functionality we already have if I enable them, or at least one of.

Any advice gratefully received.
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 22 Jan 2018, 09:07 AM   #2
TenFour
Master of the @

If you select to leave the mail in the Inbox anyone looking at the Inbox will be able to see the mail from PayPal. You could have Gmail delete the message, or you could have it archived. If you are using a filter on the incoming email it will appear under the filter label to the left on the web version of Gmail or someone would have to go to the hamburger menu on the gmail app to select the label to see the messages, so they don't really "clutter" the inbox. They all remain in the main Inbox, but you could have several filters so that each person can select the filter they want to see.

However, having some experience with this type of thing I find that in the long run it is far better that each person in the club have their own email address and Inbox. With too many people fiddling around with the same email you are bound to run into problems when someone changes some setting or deletes something important. Also, what often happens is that some important message arrives in the main Inbox, but none of the filters match so it sits there unread until the lights get turned off or something.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jan 2018, 06:36 PM   #3
Flint

Hi TenFour.
Thanks for your reply. I'm happy to leave the email in the inbox because someone else deals with organising and archiving. I just wanted to isolate the PayPal emails and see them separately in another email client where I can get independent notification and visibility of them. Oh, and the other club members refuse to have their own email addresses! Not helpful which is why I'm forwarding them to my own new and personal club email. I can't change the address that PayPal uses of course as it's the main club address and the one used in PayPal. You can't change the primary email in PayPal.

My remaining question is this; What harm is there in my enabling POP? Will the others notice any effect on their receipt and visibility of the incoming email? I think if I want to see the main email account in Outlook I have to enable IMAP. Again, any issues with that do you think?

I really appreciate your help here.
Old 22 Jan 2018, 10:22 PM   #4
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

It's easy enough to set up a filter in Gmail to forward the PayPal e-mails to yourself, and you can set the filter to mark the e-mails as read in the Gmail account.

If you have not already set up YOUR OWN e-mail address in Gmail for forwarding, when creating the filter you will get an e-mail - something along the lines of "Gmail Forwarding Confirmation - Receive Emails from xx@xx.xx" sent to your own address.

You have to then submit the confirmation code in the e-mail, for the filter to be enabled.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jan 2018, 11:20 PM   #5
Flint

Hi Fred. I already have the email address for forwarding set up and used the code. That's all ok. But the forwarding doesn't work and looking at examples on YouTube they all have POP or IMAP enabled which our account doesn't. Question is - if I enable it will that be a problem to the other users?
Old 23 Jan 2018, 02:13 AM   #6
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
Hi Fred. I already have the email address for forwarding set up and used the code. That's all ok. But the forwarding doesn't work and looking at examples on YouTube they all have POP or IMAP enabled which our account doesn't. Question is - if I enable it will that be a problem to the other users?
I wouldn't have thought that having POP/IMAP enabled would make any difference.

Have you tried manually to forward a PayPal e-mail from within the Gmail account to your own e-mail account - does that go through OK?
Old 23 Jan 2018, 02:16 AM   #7
Flint

I have forwarded from the account and that works fine. I guess I'll try enabling POP and see what happens. Or IMAP.

Do you think it matters which? Or both?

Yep, I'm confused!
Old 23 Jan 2018, 02:20 AM   #8
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Don't forget to check any spam/trash folders for the e-mails in your own account, also check any filters you already have set up in your account that may have some unforeseen impact.

As for enabling POP/IMAP, I don't think it makes a difference, but if you want to enable to test, why not!
Old 23 Jan 2018, 02:28 AM   #9
Flint

Cheers, I'll give it a go.
Old 23 Jan 2018, 09:57 AM   #10
TenFour
Master of the @

If you go through the POP/IMAP setup process it does seem to enhance deliverability of forwarded emails to/from Gmail, in my experience. As long as you check the option to leave a copy of the emails in the original email account there should be no problem.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jan 2018, 08:08 PM   #11
Flint

Just a quick update; Having set IMAP to enabled my filters are now working perfectly. No issues elsewhere that I'm aware of.

Thanks for all your help and advice.