EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 28 Nov 2019, 09:16 AM   #46
ellentk
Essential Contributor
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 227
Make the From header in the compose screen editable again.
ellentk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Nov 2019, 07:26 AM   #47
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Holon, Israel.
Posts: 4,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellentk View Post
Make the From header in the compose screen editable again.
This exists in the current web application: create an identity with *@domain and when you select this identity in the Compose screen the From field becomes editable.
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Nov 2019, 01:14 PM   #48
ellentk
Essential Contributor
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 227
Originally Posted by ellentk View Post
Make the From header in the compose screen editable again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadaso View Post
This exists in the current web application: create an identity with *@domain and when you select this identity in the Compose screen the From field becomes editable.
I think i am missing something here. Fastmail will not accept *@sent.com. If i click any of my identities into the from field, they are not editable.
ellentk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Nov 2019, 01:27 PM   #49
Terry
The "e" in e-mail
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: VK4
Posts: 2,836
No...*@sent.com wont work, you have to have your own domain name.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Nov 2019, 07:33 PM   #50
JeremyNicoll
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Scotland
Posts: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
No...*@sent.com wont work, you have to have your own domain name.
Not so for me. I've an identity *@letterboxes.org and I can choose it from the list of identities when I start a compose.

The value that's actually filled in, in the From: field, is my default identity (which is what is shown in the From display before I change it to the asterisk id. If I first change the displayed value to another of my own ids, then change that to the asterisk one, the chosen id is placed in the editable field.

Either way, the field is shown and its contents are editable. (That's using the FM webmail system.)

Of course, you need to be careful. You can safely change the 'name' part of an address, but not the bit either side of the '@'. So if the editable field contains eg "Fred Smith <[email protected]>" you can only safely change "Fred Smith". Otherwise you risk changing the "[email protected]" part to an identity that doesn't belong to you.

However, I just tried to add another asterisk identity - I tried *@sent.com and *@mailhaven.com and in both cases the system then asked me to define the SMTP server to use. That doesn't make sense (as those are fm-owned domains) - I think there's a bug there, which I've reported.

Last edited by JeremyNicoll : 29 Nov 2019 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Added final paragraph.
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Nov 2019, 01:18 PM   #51
Terry
The "e" in e-mail
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: VK4
Posts: 2,836
*@sent.com or any other fastmail domain will never work....as you could be sending mail supposedly coming from any of fastmail domains.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Nov 2019, 01:42 PM   #52
ellentk
Essential Contributor
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 227
Okay, if hadaso's solution of *@any-fastmail-domain.com/net/etc won't work. Is there a way to do make the From field in the composition window editable or should this remain as a feature request?
ellentk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Nov 2019, 06:52 PM   #53
JeremyNicoll
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Scotland
Posts: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
*@sent.com or any other fastmail domain will never work....as you could be sending mail supposedly coming from any of fastmail domains.
You are wrong. It does currently work here, and has done for a long time.

Arguably it should not, for the reason you state. But you can use it responsibly to change eg

"Fred Smith <[email protected]>"

to

"Anonymous <[email protected]>"
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Nov 2019, 10:04 PM   #54
Terry
The "e" in e-mail
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: VK4
Posts: 2,836
It does not work in my account....

try sending one from [email protected].
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Nov 2019, 10:33 PM   #55
JeremyNicoll
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Scotland
Posts: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
It does not work in my account....

try sending one from [email protected].
Read what I wrote.

The discussion is about whether one can edit the From field - and I certainly can. But I would not choose to change the /address/ part of its contents to something I am not registered to use.

You, if you already have an asterisk id defined, should be able to use it legitimately to change the name that precedes the (whole) address.

But as I noted above I can't currently define a /new/ asterisk identity; I don't know whether that's because I already have one, or because of the system's peculiar insistence that I define that id's SMTP server.
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Dec 2019, 07:26 AM   #56
Terry
The "e" in e-mail
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: VK4
Posts: 2,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyNicoll View Post
Read what I wrote.

The discussion is about whether one can edit the From field - and I certainly can. But I would not choose to change the /address/ part of its contents to something I am not registered to use.
We are talking about composing and email and changing the from address in that email...a lot of us cant you have to select an identity.

We cant quickly edit the from field like we could a few years ago so you must have something special....
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Dec 2019, 09:19 AM   #57
Grhm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
try sending one from [email protected].
To prove the point to myself I just did exactly that.
If you select any * identity you can edit the 'from' address, on the fly, to be absolutely anything you like.
It's straightforward.
I don't understand why you're struggling with it, Terry.

http://grhm.mm.st/emd/scrnsht06-For-Terry.jpg

Last edited by Grhm : 1 Dec 2019 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Adding link to screenshot.
Grhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Dec 2019, 10:36 AM   #58
Terry
The "e" in e-mail
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: VK4
Posts: 2,836
Try sending it to yourself then look in the header....or try sending it to [email protected] with the from address [email protected]

Last edited by Terry : 1 Dec 2019 at 12:42 PM.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Dec 2019, 11:57 AM   #59
Grhm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
Try sending it to [deleted] with the from address [deleted]
Done......

Last edited by Grhm : 1 Dec 2019 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Deleting Terry's e-mail address
Grhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Dec 2019, 12:01 PM   #60
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Irving, Texas
Posts: 8,546
Terry, the point people are making is that if you had a wildcard sending identity set up in the past (such as *@fastmail.com) it still works. But sometime in the past few weeks or months Fastmail changed the identities page, and you can no longer set up wildcard sending identities unless you control the whole domain and it's hosted at Fastmail.

Fastmail seems to be moving toward limiting users to sending with From addresses they control. That's a good idea for their service, since it reduces the chance of the Fastmail outgoing servers getting blocked because they are failing SPF and DKIM due to spoofing by users.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +9. The time now is 04:32 PM.

 

Copyright EmailDiscussions.com 1998-2013. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy