EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 19 May 2007, 01:04 AM   #1
haptic

"file to folder" rules working, but not showing up in options screen

Does anyone else see this? When I set up my account a few months ago, I set up a bunch of rules for auto-filing messages. They work properly, but only one of them shows up on the rules screen and in the SIEVE source.
haptic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 19 May 2007, 01:43 AM   #2
David
Ultimate Contributor

Welcome haptic: My rules show normally - in my Sieve source and also in the 'define rules' section.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2007, 01:55 AM   #3
haptic

Should I contact support about this?
Old 19 May 2007, 02:06 AM   #4
David
Ultimate Contributor

It seems strange that rules are working but not showing up where they should..

One thing you could try is logging out of the web interface and then going back to https://www.fastmail.fm and clicking on the 'Account problem's' link - just below where you login to the web interface.
Old 19 May 2007, 02:09 AM   #5
David
Ultimate Contributor

Another thought is to do with the web browser you are using. Some people have reported strange problems in the past when using 'Opera'
Old 19 May 2007, 03:04 AM   #6
haptic

I just ran the account verification, and it was uneventful. I blew away all my rules by clearing the SIEVE source window and saving it. When I come back, it doesn't show the rules screen any longer, but the SIEVE source, which looks like this:

require ["fileinto", "reject", "vacation", "regex", "relational", "comparator-i;ascii-numeric"];
keep;

So there can't be an issue of the browser not rendering the rules properly. And I'm *still* getting auto-filing in at least two folders. I just checked. Browser is Firefox on Linux, btw.
Old 19 May 2007, 04:07 AM   #7
David
Ultimate Contributor

haptic: After making changes to rules you have to click on 'Done' (at the top) in order for the changes to become effective. Likely you already know this but I thought I would mention it (just in case) I usually don't mess with the Sieve source myself but many here do and are always willing to help.

I am thinking that (in these circumstances) contacting support might be your best option. If rules have just disappeared (for no apparent reason) but are still working I have no way of knowing how that could happen unless it was caused by deleting rules and not saving the changes (by clicking on 'Done') Regardless, I think an email to support might be in order. You could include a link to this thread if you wish to do so.

The best way to contact support is to login to Fastmail and click on the link (at the bottom) saying 'need help start here' and then using the 'immediately submit a support request' link.
Old 19 May 2007, 12:43 PM   #8
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow Many ways to file into a folder

Quote:
Originally Posted by haptic View Post
... I blew away all my rules by clearing the SIEVE source window and saving it. When I come back, it doesn't show the rules screen any longer, but the SIEVE source, which looks like this:

require ["fileinto", "reject", "vacation", "regex", "relational", "comparator-i;ascii-numeric"];
keep;

... And I'm *still* getting auto-filing in at least two folders...
Welcome to the EMD Forums, haptic!

There are several ways to get messages automatically filed into folders:
  • Sieve script (or forms rules, which produce a Sieve script): You have now reduced your Sieve rules to a single "keep;", so this isn't performing your current filing.
  • Plus-addressing: This is when you use an address containing a plus after your username to file directly into a folder.
  • Subdomain addressing: This method uses your username as a subdomain at your Fastmail domain. You can then use any folder name as the username of the address.
  • Aliases: You can set the target for an alias to a folder (using plus-addressing) in the Options>Aliases screen.
  • Virtual aliases: If you own your own domain, you can set the tartget for a virtual alias at your domain to a folder (using plus-addressing) in the Options>Virtual Domains screen.
  • Plus-addressing to a virtual alias: Combination of these techniques.
  • Subdomain addressing to a virtual alias: This can be controlled at the bottom of the Options>Virtual Domains screen.
If you look at the X-Resolved-to: header in a message which was autofiled into a folder, my guess is that you will see plus-addressing in use, due to one of the six non-Sieve filing methods listed above. For help with plus-addressing and subdomain addressing see this FAQ entry.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2007, 03:16 AM   #9
haptic

Thanks David & Bill for your insight. I was not aware that plus and subdomain auto-filing happens even if there are no rules. That explains the behavior I'm seeing. Now that I have the emails coming in plussed as they are, would I have to establish a rule to *prevent* the auto-filing? What keeps someone from flooding my account with arbitrary folders, just by sending plussed messages?
Old 20 May 2007, 03:21 AM   #10
haptic

The FAQ answers my last questions, so disregard please. Thanks for the help.
Old 20 May 2007, 05:19 AM   #11
Sherry

Quote:
Originally Posted by haptic View Post
What keeps someone from flooding my account with arbitrary folders, just by sending plussed messages?
Actually the folders don't get made from the Plus-Addressing or SubDomain addressing. They have to already be there to get automatically filed. If you move the email out of the folders then delete the folders the email will then just go to your Inbox (if there is no matching folder or rule set up for them).

Sherry

Edit: Whoops, I didn't see your post above but I'll go ahead and leave this in case others can use the answer as there are many views for this thread. Glad you found the answer in the FAQ.
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote