EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

View Poll Results: Are you on highspeed or dial-up?
Highspeed? 31 77.50%
Dial-up? 9 22.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 8 Mar 2005, 07:57 AM   #1
dantheman
Cornerstone of the Community

Post Are you on highspeed or dial-up?

How many of us here at EMD have the joy of highspeed internet or still must resign with a slow dial-up service?

That is the question!
dantheman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 8 Mar 2005, 08:14 AM   #2
gysca

currently on high-speed (DSL), but must revert back to dial up on the last half of this month + the first half of next month because current ISP won't be available in new place. the only available option in the new place is Verizon DSL very bad service when I had them on late 2000, but I heard they're getting better. already signed up with them *cross fingers* and they said will have service by the 15th of next month.
gysca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Mar 2005, 08:17 AM   #3
The Storm
Essential Contributor

I'm still on dialup, tho last nite my connection was at 115, instead of the usual 48.8!
Perhaps the PC was drunk?!
The Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Mar 2005, 08:59 AM   #4
dantheman

Quote:
Originally posted by The Storm
I'm still on dialup, tho last nite my connection was at 115, instead of the usual 48.8!
Perhaps the PC was drunk?!
115?!!! Wow! Drunk or on steroids! Phewie! Wish i could see that here Storm! 28,800 is max. i've ever seen since 1996! Someone told me it depends on quality of phone lines.

Gysca, i sympathize with you!
Once you get the taste and feel of a good highspeed service it's like going from a nice Mercedes to a Lada. Don't think anyone here remembers the Lada.
Old 8 Mar 2005, 03:50 PM   #5
FMRocks
The "e" in e-mail

Highspeed, can't live without it.
FMRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Mar 2005, 07:03 PM   #6
The Storm
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by dantheman
115?!!! Wow! Drunk or on steroids! Phewie! Wish i could see that here Storm! 28,800 is max. i've ever seen since 1996! Someone told me it depends on quality of phone lines.

It's doing it again! Its saying 115.2 on the dial up connection icon on the winXP taskbar. The modem must be giving a faulty reading or something! It sure doesn't feel like its connected at that speed!

Dan
The Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Mar 2005, 08:32 PM   #7
DrStrabismus
The "e" in e-mail

115.2 is the normal serial port connection speed between the PC and the modem.

I think it probably displays this when it can't get the real speed from the modem. If the the problem persists it might be worth reinstalling the drivers.
DrStrabismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Mar 2005, 10:55 PM   #8
yashsr
Essential Contributor

I use cable net line which is shared. I had only a 25kbps connection about 15 days ago but then upgraded to 64kbps connection which is still low for cable internet. So, where should I vote, High speed or dial up. Does anyone use more than 1024kbps i.e. 1mbps? What is the highest speed available in the world?
yashsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Mar 2005, 11:46 PM   #9
dantheman

Can we consider 28.8 to 64 kbps. range as dial-up speed?
Old 9 Mar 2005, 12:06 AM   #10
trekker

Quote:
Originally posted by yashsr
I use cable net line which is shared. I had only a 25kbps connection about 15 days ago but then upgraded to 64kbps connection which is still low for cable internet. So, where should I vote, High speed or dial up. Does anyone use more than 1024kbps i.e. 1mbps? What is the highest speed available in the world?
I'm using ADSL broadband.

I know that there are some regions that can enjoy 10Mbps (uplink + downlink). Actually, its a kind of ethernet connection to the subscriber's home.
trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Mar 2005, 12:52 AM   #11
Malc 44
Essential Contributor

High speed, but only because my son insists upon it and pays most of the bill

_Malc
Malc 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Mar 2005, 06:04 AM   #12
JeffK

I'm in the process of moving from dial-up to broadband ATM. Unfortunately in the middle of doing so my motherboard has failed.

FWIW I got a really good deal, by Australian standards, through www.whirlpool.net.au. Forum members might like to visit this site as it is a really good forum for discussing broadband. Most of it only applies to Australia though. Australian residents have the privilege also of a superb site for researching and selecting broadband providers ie www.broadbandchoice.com.au. I would be interested to know if there are sites of this scope in other countries. They are phenomenal resources.

JeffK.
JeffK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Mar 2005, 06:18 AM   #13
xbot

Representative of:
xxos.us
High speed. Couldn't live without it. Dial up is so slow, it has become unbearable to me. We get computers in our shop all the time that are owned by the ignorant users--the ones who think AOL is the best thing ever. What usually happens is when we show them some things we've fixed on their computers, we go on a few websites to show them the speed of broadband--they think it's too expensive, we hand them the offer cards (we get paid for giving out SBC Yahoo! offer cards which allow users 1 year of service at $20/month), and usually they switch immediately. People still think dial up is the best thing ever. I live in a small town, and many services don't reach us. Comcast just barely hits us even. There's only two cable companies. So people aren't really exposed to faster internet--they think since we're in such a small town, that we can't get the stuff, when really we can.
xbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Mar 2005, 07:37 AM   #14
dantheman

Xbot, i don't think "dial-up" is the best at all.
The alternatives here in the boonies are still way too expensive! $25 can. unlimited time is pretty good compared to double that for broadband (if it's available).
There is good news on the horizon though. It seems we may be getting highspeed by year end thanks to the new school they've built in the area.

Glad people are also posting their comments. It gives more credibility to the poll.

Thank you folks!
Old 9 Mar 2005, 07:41 AM   #15
xbot

Representative of:
xxos.us
Quote:
Originally posted by dantheman
Xbot, i don't think "dial-up" is the best at all.
The alternatives here in the boonies are still way too expensive! $25 can. unlimited time is pretty good compared to double that for broadband (if it's available).
There is good news on the horizon though. It seems we may be getting highspeed by year end thanks to the new school they've built in the area.

Glad people are also posting their comments. It gives more credibility to the poll.

Thank you folks!
I never said that everyone did. But some of the ignorant computer users think it's the only way to go.

And SBC Yahoo! DSL is $20/month for 1 year (contract), and since they are affiliated with Dish, you get a low price with Dish Network + get some other offers normal SBC Yahoo! users don't get. We got the whole thing---Dish Network, SBC Yahoo!, SBC Telephone service...

Tip: SBC sends crazy offers if you switch away from them within the first two months of your leaving. We jumped aboard the train and got unlimited free calling to all US states for $50/month or so. It's really crazy!
xbot is offline   Reply With Quote