EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 21 Nov 2013, 01:30 AM   #16
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abydos View Post
Mailpile $163,064, reached in 5 weeks.
Mailpile's home page says
Quote:
Please help us reach our $100,000 fundraising goal by September 10th, 2013
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Nov 2013, 01:42 AM   #17
Abydos
Essential Contributor

That's the original funding text.
Here are the links to their funding totals: Mailpile, Heml.is

Last edited by Abydos : 21 Nov 2013 at 04:33 AM.
Abydos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Dec 2013, 08:28 PM   #18
helios

Post FM is not to be trusted

I used to be Gmail user since 2004 as well. About two years ago I switched to Lavabit, reading good reviews about it and wanting to get rid of Skynet aka Google slavery. Time passed and Lavabit was shut down due to Snowden case. As you have probably seen, there's ex-Lavabit CEO's statement still available on the website:

Quote:
My Fellow Users,

I have been forced to make a difficult decision: to become complicit in crimes against the American people or walk away from nearly ten years of hard work by shutting down Lavabit. After significant soul searching, I have decided to suspend operations. I wish that I could legally share with you the events that led to my decision. I cannot. I feel you deserve to know what’s going on--the first amendment is supposed to guarantee me the freedom to speak out in situations like this. Unfortunately, Congress has passed laws that say otherwise. As things currently stand, I cannot share my experiences over the last six weeks, even though I have twice made the appropriate requests.

What’s going to happen now? We’ve already started preparing the paperwork needed to continue to fight for the Constitution in the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals. A favorable decision would allow me resurrect Lavabit as an American company.

This experience has taught me one very important lesson: without congressional action or a strong judicial precedent, I would _strongly_ recommend against anyone trusting their private data to a company with physical ties to the United States.

Sincerely,
Ladar Levison
Owner and Operator, Lavabit LLC
Just search for "lavabit snowden" on the web and you will find A LOT more information and other interesting details.

Since then I looked for another alternative and not having many to choose from I switched to FM. I do not trust FM and there are reasons for that. Australia is in the "Five Eyes" list, this country didn't help Assange, Ecuador did. FM's servers are in the New York (and as Lavabit's CEO warned, it's not safe to trust data to anyone with physical ties to US). On September 26, 2013, FM announced that it had split from Opera (more or less trustworthy Norwegians) and became a privately held independent company - this news I do not like. My assumption is that Google/NSA evildoers obviously noticed certain segments of people started fleeing from their services, they analyzed the situation, found obvious alternative/s and absorbed them, through 3rd parties of course or via other secretive methods at their disposal. Who exactly is this "privately held independent company"? Who are their sponsors? Who invested into splitting from Opera and why?
So NO, I do not trust FM, I do not like having to pay for this absence of trust, but there seem to be no better alternatives to Gmail at the moment. As soon as there is new Lavabit, I will switch to it right away.
helios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Dec 2013, 05:43 AM   #19
Jacinto
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by helios View Post
Since then I looked for another alternative and not having many to choose from I switched to FM. I do not trust FM and there are reasons for that. Australia is in the "Five Eyes" list, this country didn't help Assange, Ecuador did. FM's servers are in the New York (and as Lavabit's CEO warned, it's not safe to trust data to anyone with physical ties to US). On September 26, 2013, FM announced that it had split from Opera (more or less trustworthy Norwegians) and became a privately held independent company - this news I do not like. My assumption is that Google/NSA evildoers obviously noticed certain segments of people started fleeing from their services, they analyzed the situation, found obvious alternative/s and absorbed them, through 3rd parties of course or via other secretive methods at their disposal. Who exactly is this "privately held independent company"? Who are their sponsors? Who invested into splitting from Opera and why?
So NO, I do not trust FM, I do not like having to pay for this absence of trust, but there seem to be no better alternatives to Gmail at the moment. As soon as there is new Lavabit, I will switch to it right away.
Wow!

What a sad state of affairs we're in.

Not so long ago, a rant like helios' would have been dismissed as pure paranoia.

Nowadays, although the whole scenario does sounds paranoid and seems far fetched, there is always a remote possibility that some of it could be true.

Personally, I do not believe that Rob Mueller and company would participate in such a dastardly scheme.

--
Jacinto
Jacinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Dec 2013, 04:10 PM   #20
David
Ultimate Contributor

All email services (and companies) and the people that run them, run them as businesses, that are intended to make money.......

When you go shopping (for an email account) you really do need to remember this. Principles (and personalities) do not really matter much, when you are spending your hard earned honest coin.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Nov 2014, 04:38 AM   #21
17pm
Cornerstone of the Community

As someone who might be interested in joining FastMail, I've been looking for opinions and whatnot.

I've read this thread and created a similar one.. For posterity sake, the link is the following: http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=69561
17pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jan 2015, 06:34 PM   #22
Abydos
Essential Contributor

Zero Knowledge Email Providers...

Tutanota looks like an interesting privacy based alternative..
A zero knowledge service, where the company cannot read, lose or give away your data. End to end encryption from each device.

https://tutanota.de/ Free 1GB. Due to introduce paid accounts with more storage in a couple of months.

Android & iOS apps.

Emails between tutanota accounts are encrypted automatically. You can send unencrypted emails normally. One nice feature is you can also send encrypted emails to friends who insist on using gmail accounts. They are sent a link to a sort of guest tutanota log in. Recipients can read your email, away from google data mining and even send an encrypted reply from within this window, back to your account.
Abydos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jan 2015, 02:06 PM   #23
mekitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinaLamb View Post
sorry for no caps... a problem with my tablet tonight.
Which tablet? macca or iPad?
mekitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jan 2015, 02:12 PM   #24
mekitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacinto View Post
Personally, I do not believe that Rob Mueller and company would participate in such a dastardly scheme.

--
Jacinto
Rob can rob you any time. He does business, man. He has to run a business. He is not your brother that you blindly trust him.........
Old 14 Jan 2015, 02:19 PM   #25
mekitron

The Network Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydart View Post
Please advise, and offer helpful suggestions if you would please.
After Ohm's Law, I learnt this law and it's quite easier than Ohm's law to remember.

"When you are connected to network as known as Internet, you cannot be safe anyway." Not everyone but at least certain people know you.
Old 15 Jan 2015, 01:21 AM   #26
17pm
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekitron View Post
After Ohm's Law, I learnt this law and it's quite easier than Ohm's law to remember.

"When you are connected to network as known as Internet, you cannot be safe anyway." Not everyone but at least certain people know you.
That's a stupid argument. Let's just give up on trying to make the internet a safer place then. Damn VPNs, damn SSL connections, damn fixing backdoors and buggy software. Who the hell cares right, when one uses the internet one should expect to have no security or privacy whatsoever.

Last edited by 17pm : 19 Jan 2015 at 04:09 AM.
17pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jan 2015, 10:54 AM   #27
mekitron

No Quarrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17pm View Post
That's a stupid argument. Let's just give up on trying to make the internet a safer place then. Damn VPNs, damn SSL connections, damn backdoors and buggy software. Who the hell cares right, when one uses the internet one should expect to have no security or privacy whatsoever.
Virtual world is mirror to our real world.
Old 15 Jan 2015, 12:43 PM   #28
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekitron View Post
Virtual world is mirror to our real world.
If you had to give up one of these, mekitron, which one would you choose
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jan 2015, 07:45 PM   #29
mekitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
If you had to give up one of these, mekitron, which one would you choose
virtual one
Old 31 Jan 2015, 04:13 PM   #30
jamieb22

Fastmail.fm

Greetings

I'd just like to point out that Fastmail.fm is definitely not secure from the prying eyes of the NSA. There are a few reasons for this:

1) Client TLS authentication is not enabled. As a consequence its quite easy for the NSA to ease drop on the so-called secure communications.

2) In any case, the whole X.509 certificate system is broken as it is quite likely that the NSA has the private keys associated with at least one trusted CA certificate.
jamieb22 is offline   Reply With Quote