EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 8 Mar 2023, 05:35 AM   #1
rscaramelo

Outlook in 2023 with custom domain

I know there's an older Outlook thread below but I had some questions of my own. Outlook has always been my favorite overall but I don't use them because they keep messing with the different tiers, names, options, etc. As a custom domain user I left because they got in bed with GoDaddy. I saw they were yet again rebranding and changing how they handle domains. I am confused by it. Can anyone here make sense of it for me?
Is it possible to now use a custom domain held with any provider? If yes, what plan is needed? Can you use multiple alias' within the same user mailbox/account?
If you do a quick search you can see how many times they have pivoted based on all the outdated irrelevant links.
Thanks for any help.
rscaramelo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 8 Mar 2023, 07:58 AM   #2
TenFour
Master of the @

If by "Outlook" you mean Microsoft 365 email you need to get a business plan to have email at your own domain. The Microsoft 365 Business Basic plan at $6 per month is the cheapest way to do that. (Microsoft is expert at confusing names.) However, you can use the Outlook app to manage email plans hosted elsewhere. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/micr...iness-products
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Mar 2023, 08:01 AM   #3
TenFour
Master of the @

My business uses Microsoft 365 and our domains are hosted at Porkbun. You do not have to use GoDaddy.
Old 8 Mar 2023, 11:06 AM   #4
jeffpan
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
tls-mail.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
My business uses Microsoft 365 and our domains are hosted at Porkbun. You do not have to use GoDaddy.
outlook biz is the same (for instance, webmail) as outlook freemail?
jeffpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Mar 2023, 07:39 PM   #5
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
outlook biz is the same (for instance, webmail) as outlook freemail?
No, free Outlook.com is not the same Outlook you get with a paid business plan. With the cheapest business tier you only get the online version of Outlook, but it is quite good. In fact, I find it so good that I prefer it to desktop Outlook for most things, and I simply log into the web interface at work as my default email system. They have recently introduced a new desktop version of Outlook that is modeled on the web version and looks very similar. I haven't fully explored the new desktop version yet, but I like the overall look of it.
Old 16 Mar 2023, 12:42 AM   #6
rscaramelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
No, free Outlook.com is not the same Outlook you get with a paid business plan. With the cheapest business tier you only get the online version of Outlook, but it is quite good. In fact, I find it so good that I prefer it to desktop Outlook for most things, and I simply log into the web interface at work as my default email system. They have recently introduced a new desktop version of Outlook that is modeled on the web version and looks very similar. I haven't fully explored the new desktop version yet, but I like the overall look of it.
So do you have the business plan? How does this option handle using a custom domain? I like to use 2-3 alias with the custom domain all within the same inbox/account.
rscaramelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Mar 2023, 08:34 AM   #7
TenFour
Master of the @

My business uses Microsoft 365. I can create aliases for users in the admin section that deliver to the user's inbox. Very useful for a business that might have things like admin@ or info@ deliver to a particular person's inbox. Fairly straightforward, though if you don't need the other stuff that comes along with Microsoft 365 I would recommend Purelymail for just email that allows you to more easily create unlimited aliases that deliver as you wish.