EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Help Needed!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Help Needed! Having problems with your email service, or with the email software you're using? Post your questions and answers here!

Old 5 Jan 2017, 06:06 AM   #1
rscaramelo

domain for family email help needed

Hi,
I have a domain for my family member's email. I currently have G Suite/Gmail but don't love it even though it does what I need. I have never cared much for Gmail. I require being able to have 3 "accounts" or "users" since 3 people are logging in on their own devices.

I have used Fastmail in the past but trying to now set this type of thing up would be very expensive which is unfortunate since I do really like them. I also don't much care for Outlook.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
rscaramelo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 5 Jan 2017, 08:08 AM   #2
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscaramelo View Post
Any suggestions?
Runbox?
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Jan 2017, 12:28 PM   #3
rscaramelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berenburger View Post
I'm a little confused on the pricing but might work??? No ios/android app?

Thanks
Old 5 Jan 2017, 04:57 PM   #4
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Works with any email application.
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Jan 2017, 05:52 PM   #5
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
I'm a little confused on the pricing but might work??? No ios/android app?
No, not a 'special' Runbox app, but as Janusz said, any other app will work.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Jan 2017, 01:50 AM   #6
rscaramelo

Looks promising. I am going to see if I can afford it with the options I would like.

Thanks!
Old 6 Jan 2017, 03:26 AM   #7
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

Also consider Rollernet. They allow you to host an unlimited number of mailboxes for one price.

http://www.rollernet.us/our-services/mail-services.html
sflorack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Jan 2017, 05:02 AM   #8
rscaramelo

That looks good too thanks
Old 23 Jan 2017, 04:28 AM   #9
jchevali

Try Net-C:

https://www.net-c.com/netc/en/net-c-family.php

Their Pro pack is €1 a month, 20GB mail for one person, or the family pack, €2 a month, 5x 20GB for as many persons.
jchevali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jan 2017, 05:58 AM   #10
rscaramelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchevali View Post
Try Net-C:

https://www.net-c.com/netc/en/net-c-family.php

Their Pro pack is €1 a month, 20GB mail for one person, or the family pack, €2 a month, 5x 20GB for as many persons.
Do you have any personal experience with them? Do they have a long track record? Thanks
Old 23 Jan 2017, 07:30 AM   #11
jhollington
Essential Contributor

Quote:
I have used Fastmail in the past but trying to now set this type of thing up would be very expensive which is unfortunate since I do really like them. I also don't much care for Outlook.
I'm assuming you were using one of the old grandfathered free G Suite packages? Otherwise, the cost of doing this on FastMail isn't going to be any different than paying for it on G Suite.

However, depending on whether you actually need "Standard" accounts for everybody in your family, you may be able to get away with doing this with FastMail for a little bit less.

This has been discussed elsewhere already in the FastMail forums, but you technically only need one Standard account to host your custom domain. Within that Standard account, you can set up as many aliases to point to other accounts as you like, which means you could get away with having your other two family member accounts be merely "Basic" accounts. These accounts would technically have a "fastmail.com" (or other generic domain address) that mail would be received at, but you could then go to your "Standard" account and set up aliases to redirect messages from any address you choose at your own domain to these "@fastmail.com" Basic accounts. Within those accounts, you'd then configure an "Identity" so that they would send from your domain address rather than their "fastmail.com" address.

This would still run you $110/year for the three accounts, but that's still better than $150/year to have them all as "Standard" accounts, and of course the savings are increased if you add more accounts in this manner.

This is also assuming that you're a "new" FastMail customer. If you already have an older account with FastMail, they're grandfathering those in, for now at least, so you might be paying a bit less if you just keep using your existing Full/Enhanced account rather than migrating to a "Standard" account, and if you have an old Family/Business account that's still active, you can still add more users at the old Lite/Full/Enhanced levels.
jhollington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jan 2017, 10:49 AM   #12
rscaramelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhollington View Post
I'm assuming you were using one of the old grandfathered free G Suite packages? Otherwise, the cost of doing this on FastMail isn't going to be any different than paying for it on G Suite.

However, depending on whether you actually need "Standard" accounts for everybody in your family, you may be able to get away with doing this with FastMail for a little bit less.

This has been discussed elsewhere already in the FastMail forums, but you technically only need one Standard account to host your custom domain. Within that Standard account, you can set up as many aliases to point to other accounts as you like, which means you could get away with having your other two family member accounts be merely "Basic" accounts. These accounts would technically have a "fastmail.com" (or other generic domain address) that mail would be received at, but you could then go to your "Standard" account and set up aliases to redirect messages from any address you choose at your own domain to these "@fastmail.com" Basic accounts. Within those accounts, you'd then configure an "Identity" so that they would send from your domain address rather than their "fastmail.com" address.

This would still run you $110/year for the three accounts, but that's still better than $150/year to have them all as "Standard" accounts, and of course the savings are increased if you add more accounts in this manner.

This is also assuming that you're a "new" FastMail customer. If you already have an older account with FastMail, they're grandfathering those in, for now at least, so you might be paying a bit less if you just keep using your existing Full/Enhanced account rather than migrating to a "Standard" account, and if you have an old Family/Business account that's still active, you can still add more users at the old Lite/Full/Enhanced levels.
Thanks for the detail. My issue with g suite is it's overkill in my opinion for what I want. Also too expensive. Fastmail is really nice but much too expensive for what I need too. I have just checked out net-c and it looks ok and the price is good. In just messing around with it shortly I didn't find it to be too user friendly with certain options like setting up a domain and alias. I am also checking out zoho but like g suite it's a bit of overkill.

I am really frustrated. I simply want email for 3 people using my own domain with 3 separate logins. My account needs some storage but the others can be simple. Honestly G Suite might unfortunately be the way to go.
Old 23 Jan 2017, 03:00 PM   #13
rockman

Check out Zoho Mail.
https://www.zoho.com/mail/

Cheers
rockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jan 2017, 11:46 PM   #14
jhollington
Essential Contributor

Quote:
I am really frustrated. I simply want email for 3 people using my own domain with 3 separate logins. My account needs some storage but the others can be simple. Honestly G Suite might unfortunately be the way to go.
Yeah, sadly it's hard to find low-priced options for hosting your own domain, as most providers consider that a "premium" sort of feature, and then on top of that you get what you pay for .... you're unlikely to find a good provider that's going to give this to you inexpensively.

However, G Suite and FastMail provide identical pricing, so if you like FastMail better than G Suite for its features, it's still worth considering. I moved away from G Suite a while back just because I'm not really a big fan of the Gmail interface or style of things — it's great if you're living in a browser, but I prefer to use IMAP clients for my email — and FastMail actually provides proper and native iOS push e-mail support for the built-in iOS Mail app, which is a really nice feature. You're also right that G Suite is overkill in a whole lot of other ways, especially from the administrative side — it definitely does WAY more than FastMail if you need all of those features, but it's designed heavily toward business use, so there's a lot there that the average person will likely never need.
jhollington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jan 2017, 05:28 AM   #15
jchevali

Quote:
Do you have any personal experience with them? Do they have a long track record? Thanks
I had an account with Alinto which was taken over by Inmano, which was taken over by Net-C. The original address was preserved and service throughout has been maintained. Going forward, however, I can't say how long they'll be in business, as I have not enquired.

Quote:
I have just checked out net-c and it looks ok and the price is good. In just messing around with it shortly I didn't find it to be too user friendly with certain options like setting up a domain and alias. I am also checking out zoho but like g suite it's a bit of overkill.
I've used Zoho as well and it works, it has more features than Net-C, but I'm not too happy with the interface, which is badly in need of a complete overhaul, IMO. Net-C's interface is cleaner and simpler; the English translation lets them down in places, but it's otherwise usable (or use the native French version).
jchevali is offline   Reply With Quote