EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 27 Apr 2014, 07:23 AM   #16
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Although it's been long enough since I've set one up, so it took awhile to remember all the details (on what had since become a "widowed" domain, which I was using until the first email service I'd associated it with stopped working some time ago), I too have now managed to get this domain set up and apparently working with your email. Thank you, jarland!
xmailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Apr 2014, 03:06 PM   #17
rockman

@jarland - do you offer domain parking?
rockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Apr 2014, 12:18 PM   #18
jarland
Essential Contributor

Representative of:
MXRoute.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockman View Post
@jarland - do you offer domain parking?
Hola! I do not but I recommend http://dns.he.net for free dns handling.
jarland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Apr 2014, 08:37 PM   #19
walesrob
Essential Contributor

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarland View Post

@walesrob That's quite interesting about 123-reg. I wonder what they consider to be a valid mx record? As for better documentation, I have some now, all included in the welcome email though.
To be fair to your email service, I did try again last night, and maybe my earlier comments were a bit caustic, and I've had to eat large amounts of humble pie.

I've got everything working, domain setup, email address functioning, and IMAP & SMTP setup in Sylpheed & android, and its all working like a dream. IMAP is very fast, and I like the push notifications. Good work. I have sent you an email regarding an issue I'm having with catch-all, but so far, so good.

Since my post of 9/12, my domain has been moved to another host, and there have been no issues entering mx records. 123-reg is a bit hit and miss with their systems, they have some weird quirks.
walesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Apr 2014, 12:45 AM   #20
Cory
Essential Contributor

Just signed up for the free to test it . Looks interesting though.
Cory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Apr 2014, 07:08 AM   #21
shorehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by walesrob View Post
Signed up for this new service. Immediately had problems:
First, mx record is invalid according to my domain host (123-Reg): mxroute.com MX IS NOT VALID. So had to change Nameservers to cloudns to get this MX record to work. To be fair this is an issue with 123-Reg, but still, it's a pain.
Next, there are zero configuration options. Aliases? Forwarding? Webmail? Spam controls?
Next, came authentication errors while attempting to set up account in email client, whether using SSL or not.
Think I'll pass on this one.
signed up today and all works like a charm.
shorehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Jun 2014, 03:43 AM   #22
walesrob
Essential Contributor

Wow that was quick!

Ryan, you win the award for the fastest ever response to a support ticket, I made it less than 2 minutes from my ticket submission to your reply.

If only other email services were as good as this.
walesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Jun 2014, 10:49 AM   #23
jarland
Essential Contributor

Representative of:
MXRoute.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by walesrob View Post
Ryan, you win the award for the fastest ever response to a support ticket, I made it less than 2 minutes from my ticket submission to your reply.

If only other email services were as good as this.
Ryan is a beast
Old 3 Jun 2014, 11:59 AM   #24
William9
The "e" in e-mail

Nice looking main page. Sparse but attractive.
What is MXRoute's privacy policy? What does "secure email" mean? Where are the servers? Is this a resale of some larger email provider?
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Jun 2014, 12:32 PM   #25
jarland
Essential Contributor

Representative of:
MXRoute.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by William9 View Post
Nice looking main page. Sparse but attractive.
What is MXRoute's privacy policy? What does "secure email" mean? Where are the servers? Is this a resale of some larger email provider?
Hola! Great questions.

The policies are all that of catalysthost.com, the parent of mxroute. Secure refers to server security more than anything. It won't be the next lavabit or anything. The central server is in corexchange in Dallas and the backup relay is in 51 Marietta in Atlanta.
Old 5 Jun 2014, 03:36 AM   #26
William9
The "e" in e-mail

What kind if spam and malware protection does MXRoute have?
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Jun 2014, 09:54 AM   #27
jarland
Essential Contributor

Representative of:
MXRoute.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by William9 View Post
What kind if spam and malware protection does MXRoute have?
That has actually been part of the project that has been at the front of my mind throughout most of it. Lately there has been a surge of spam that passes both DKIM and SPF checks, and it has led to a silent revolution in the industry that I don't think most people have fully realized is even happening. Some people have been sheltered from it a bit purely because their address or domain exists in less of the spammers lists, but sooner or later we are all going to see the impact of this and it is changing the way that we must act.

To prevent spam on mxroute, right now the focus is on letting users train their own filter. Every night your spam folder is scanned and the learned data goes to your own filter. I have chosen to add in SpamCop as the first RBL, as I have not witnessed them listing an IP address that didn't deserve it in the last 2 years. The key is that the client has to be able to call the shots to a significant degree, but I also need to keep a solid baseline. Fighting spam while maintaining a usable and fast service is something I am passionate about. In the future, look out for client level RBL selection

The most important thing to remember about filtering on mxroute is that I built this with the perfect mail server in mind. I use it, I'm actually the most active client. I'm at the top of eximstats every day. So you can be sure that I am aware of the realities that my neighbors may be facing as well. This isn't about making money, it's about taking my skills and using them to better the email experience for myself and for others. Sorry if that sounds like an advertisement, honestly I'm just really passionate about the industry.

Edit: Almost forgot, clamav for virus protection. It's hit or miss. I am exploring other options.

Last edited by jarland : 5 Jun 2014 at 10:07 AM.
Old 5 Jun 2014, 10:10 AM   #28
nbarr
Cornerstone of the Community

But what do you use, SpamAssassin, Dspam ?
nbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Jun 2014, 10:24 AM   #29
jarland
Essential Contributor

Representative of:
MXRoute.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbarr View Post
But what do you use, SpamAssassin, Dspam ?
SpamAssassin
Old 5 Jun 2014, 03:45 PM   #30
ccl1
Essential Contributor

I would not mind trying it out, but I don't like updating nameservers just to try out a service I might not even like. It seems like a lot of work and hassle to go through.
ccl1 is offline   Reply With Quote