EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Early Warning...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Early Warning... If an email service has closed down or changed the services it offers, or if there are indications it is about to do so, post about it here.

Old 9 Jan 2014, 10:26 PM   #16
William9
The "e" in e-mail

Here's another aspect of Yahoo! Free. Malware in adverts.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25653664
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Mar 2014, 01:02 PM   #17
piyu

A cheaper (free!) solution

I was almost shocked to see they more than doubled the price for the Yahoo Mail Plus, for just naming it something else. I decided I wouldn't pay them, and started developing a fix (a Firefox add-on), which is now hosted and getting very good response from people. Just thought of sharing that with you guys.

This is the Firefox add-on:
Yahoo Mail Hide Ad Panel

If you don't have Firefox browser, you can download it from here:
http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/
piyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Mar 2014, 07:54 PM   #18
rmannam

Thanks for sharing the add-on which is very helpful.
rmannam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Mar 2014, 02:02 AM   #19
LioNiNoiL

Angry Yahoo outage

Quote:
Originally Posted by William9 View Post
What was the duration of Yahoo!'s recent outage?
The outage lasted several days (on-and-off) but the site was hosed in end-November 2013 and full functionality not restored until some (unannounced) time after mid-March 2014. During that time (nearly four months) Yahoo's happy spokesmodels kept saying nothing was wrong, only a "few" users were affected.
LioNiNoiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Mar 2014, 11:40 PM   #20
Dutchie007
Essential Contributor

I use ONLY free mail services:-) and I never see any ads.....!!

the trick is to install an adblock service in your browser...ADBLOCK PLUS (free )..works with firefox, chrome and what else there is!!!

or even better use an email client (Pocomail,Thunderbird,Foxmail or Opera) to retrieve your emails:-)

If you use most (free) apps on an Android phone ads are (alas) inevitable...

Dutchie.
Dutchie007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Mar 2014, 12:52 AM   #21
Bamb0
Master of the @

Yahoo mail has become garbage....... They dont care to help you if your account does not work or anything! (I know from personal experience )
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Mar 2014, 04:11 PM   #22
Just Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamb0 View Post
Yahoo mail has become garbage....... They dont care to help you if your account does not work or anything! (I know from personal experience )
I'm not certain that it was ever anything but garbage.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Mar 2014, 11:38 PM   #23
ccl1
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamb0 View Post
One day I decided to do a little test. I created a new email account, did not use it for anything, did not give it out to anyone. Within days I started getting spam for buying prescription drugs online etc. Maybe it was just coincidence but in other tests I did with other email providers that didn't happen.
ccl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Mar 2014, 03:51 PM   #24
Bamb0
Master of the @

No such thing as a coincidence..
Old 31 Mar 2014, 11:17 AM   #25
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

There certainly is such a thing as a coincidence. Mathematically, it would be impossible for there not to be. But I wouldn't blame Yahoo's problems on coincidence. Perhaps just raw ineptitude.
xmailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Mar 2014, 03:51 PM   #26
ccl1
Essential Contributor

well i mentioned coincidence b/c maybe the name i picked for the test account had been used before. but i tried to pick something unusual enough that i didn't think anyone would have, but you never know b/c theres a few billion people
ccl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Mar 2014, 06:54 PM   #27
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

No argument from me. I would only argue (hypothetically? theoretically?) that there is such a thing as coincidence. But that doesn't mean that I think that most or all of Yahoo's problems can be laid to that. Based on my own personal experience with Yahoo, I'm fairly well convinced that most of their problems are based more on ineptitude than coincidence. There've just been too many problems, in too few accounts, of a kind I haven't ever had with, say, Gmail, with a much greater number of accounts. While some of that may be coincidence, to me it seems to go beyond that level.

(And I hardly "worship" Gmail, but agree with them "morally" or not, just in terms of technology, by comparison they seem to know much more what they're doing -- whether or not one agrees with what they're doing. )
Old 1 Apr 2014, 01:34 PM   #28
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccl1 View Post
One day I decided to do a little test. I created a new email account, did not use it for anything, did not give it out to anyone. Within days I started getting spam for buying prescription drugs online etc. Maybe it was just coincidence but in other tests I did with other email providers that didn't happen.
Yahoo (and some other popular email providers) get hit by millions of dictionary attack spam messages every day. The spammers try a huge list of common names and combinations of names and add numbers and letters to the end. Unless you pick a very long random letter/number string, a random or dictionary attack will eventually find your account. Just like winning a lottery, a lot of this is random and hard for us humans to understand. It's like having an unlisted phone number and getting a call to a wrong number. Nobody knew that number, but if someone accidentally calls it they might accidentally redial it from their recent call list. So you could receive multiple phone calls to that unlisted phone, or multiple random emails if some spammer dictionary list happens to use your address.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Apr 2014, 07:53 PM   #29
Bamb0
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmailer
There certainly is such a thing as a coincidence..
Well not really bud...... Everything happens FOR A REASON!!

Everything is connected..
Old 5 Apr 2014, 09:40 PM   #30
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

That falls much more into the category of religion than of, say, science -- the former which is related in no important way that I know to any topic of this discussion forum. But carry on by yourself if you must.