EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 23 Jun 2014, 05:48 PM   #1
petergh
Master of the @

Microsoft enables opportunistic TLS encryption for hotmail.com, outlook.com, live.com

I've yet to find an official announcement from Microsoft, but it looks like they've enabled opportunistic TLS encryption on their incoming mail servers. See, for example, this header from a test message I sent to outlook.com from LuxSci:

Code:
Received: from rs104.luxsci.com ([66.216.77.130]) by COL004-MC6F11.hotmail.com over TLS secured channel with Microsoft SMTPSVC(7.5.7601.22712); 	 Mon, 23 Jun 2014 01:42:51 -0700
LuxSci's TLS checker tool (https://luxsci.com/extranet/tlschecker.html) also says TLS is enabled for hotmail.com, outlook.com, and live.com (those are just the ones I've tested, there may be more).
petergh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 24 Jun 2014, 03:30 AM   #2
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by petergh View Post
LuxSci's TLS checker tool (https://luxsci.com/extranet/tlschecker.html) also says TLS is enabled for hotmail.com, outlook.com, and live.com (those are just the ones I've tested, there may be more).
live.nl tested OK.
Berenburger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jun 2014, 08:37 AM   #3
William9
The "e" in e-mail

That is a recent change for Outlook.com. Good news.
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jun 2014, 12:19 PM   #4
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Thanks for the news! I think the change to use STARTTLS at Microsoft (hotmail.com, outlook.com, etc.) for both incoming and outgoing SMTP connections to other services was made sometime between June 4 and June 18, 2014, based on messages I found in my Inboxes. On June 18 I received a "Our terms of use are changing" email from Microsoft and it was received using TLS encryption. This is very good news! See:Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jun 2014, 01:08 AM   #5
William9
The "e" in e-mail

Yahoo.com now supports opportunistic incoming TLS. When I checked a few months ago, it did not.
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jun 2014, 10:30 AM   #6
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by William9 View Post
Yahoo.com now supports opportunistic incoming TLS. When I checked a few months ago, it did not.
When I checked two months ago (in mid-April 2014), I saw Yahoo erratically supporting both incoming and outgoing TLS.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Jul 2014, 10:16 AM   #7
nbarr
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by petergh View Post
I've yet to find an official announcement from Microsoft, but it looks like they've enabled opportunistic TLS encryption on their incoming mail servers.
Confirming what you had already found.
http://blogs.technet.com/b/microsoft...y-efforts.aspx

Quote:
Outlook.com is now further protected by Transport Layer Security, or TLS, encryption for both outbound and inbound email.
Quote:
In addition to the availability of TLS, Outlook.com has also enabled Perfect Forward Secrecy (PFS) encryption support for sending and receiving mail between email providers.
nbarr is offline   Reply With Quote