EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 8 Apr 2002, 12:24 AM   #16
jhs
Essential Contributor

Re: Like Pop

I don't think you can say that POP is better or IMAP is better, it simply depends on how you use your email. If you want to access your mail from multiple computers you are better off with IMAP, if you always read your mail from the same computer you should probably go with POP.

I do believe that some people don't sign up at FastMail because they don't get POP at their preferred membership level. I'm sure some (most?) of these don't know what IMAP is and would do better with IMAP than POP.

Personally I use IMAP exactly because I'm able to access my email from any computer.

Regarding your point that IMAP is better for the provider than POP. I don't believe so. With POP you will typically download all messages once, but with IMAP you will typically download some messages multiple times. So I think the overall server usage will be greater with an IMAP account that a POP.
jhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Apr 2002, 12:25 AM   #17
sky

Actually having a folder structure is more than just for leaving the mail on the server.

For instance, you can create a spam folder and setup the filter to move the spams to that folder on the server. Then when you download the messages, you will just download the legitimate ones, and u can check the spam folder only once in while. This is another big plus for those with slow connection as they can save time for not having to download those spam.

It is harder to do this with POP as you can't see the junk folder in the email client.
sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Apr 2002, 12:30 AM   #18
sky

Agree. As Jeremy said, IMAP uses more resources on the server, so I really appreciate that Jeremy and Rob give all the fastmail users IMAP access!!
sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Apr 2002, 02:05 AM   #19
azukre

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Howard
No. IMAP is a better solution for most people and results in less support issues for us because there are less problems and we can answer 'yes' to more questions, and we just like evangelising the technology. IMAP uses more resources. But when people use POP and find their messages aren't on the server any more they yell at us that their webmail doesn't show their messages any more and we've deleted them etc etc...
Is it possible for fastmail let the guest accounts to access pop3?

It sounds kinda weird that fastmail give out free access to IMAP that uses more resources, but blocks the pop3 access to only members that pays.
azukre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Apr 2002, 04:32 AM   #20
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

Re: Re: Like Pop

Quote:
Originally posted by jhs
I don't think you can say that POP is better or IMAP is better, it simply depends on how you use your email. If you want to access your mail from multiple computers you are better off with IMAP, if you always read your mail from the same computer you should probably go with POP.
I totally agree with this; having used IMAP, I reckon that POP is probably better for me (and am annoyed that even Member level doesn't get POP access), but I can also see how IMAP is better for others — just not for me.
robert@fm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Apr 2002, 06:26 AM   #21
azukre

Re: Re: Re: Like Pop

Quote:
Originally posted by robert@fm

I totally agree with this; having used IMAP, I reckon that POP is probably better for me (and am annoyed that even Member level doesn't get POP access), but I can also see how IMAP is better for others — just not for me.
IMAP is a great tool for ppl who has to access their email from multiple computer without a laptop or PDA.
I usually store my email in one computer or a laptop, and keep that information secured.
Old 9 Apr 2002, 06:39 AM   #22
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

IMAP is also great in the you can read the body of a message without downloading the attachments. However, IMAP only works well with a good IMAP client. For instance, Outlook Express does *not* support the ability to download the body without downloading attachments.
Jeremy Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Apr 2002, 07:10 AM   #23
azukre

I strongly suggest POP protocol. Most email client has more support on this protocol than ours, and it's easier to configure it.

I think there are still more ppl use pop than imap, other than web based email.
Old 9 Apr 2002, 11:03 AM   #24
Shelded

Quote:
Originally posted by azukre
I strongly suggest POP protocol. Most email client has more support on this protocol than ours, and it's easier to configure it.

I think there are still more ppl use pop than imap, other than web based email.
We could use that same reasoning to support sending everyone to AOL mail.
Shelded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Apr 2002, 11:05 AM   #25
lux
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by shelded
We could use that same reasoning to support sending everyone to AOL mail.
We could use the same reason to support all kinds of old stuff...
lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Apr 2002, 11:15 AM   #26
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

I strongly suggest that everyone ditch all their other accounts and move to Hotmail.  After all, more people (especially spammers) use Hotmail than anything else...

(just kidding, in case you wondered...)
robert@fm is offline   Reply With Quote