EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 1 Dec 2019, 12:17 PM   #61
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
Terry, the point people are making is that if you had a wildcard sending identity set up in the past (such as *@fastmail.com) it still works. But sometime in the past few weeks or months Fastmail changed the identities page, and you can no longer set up wildcard sending identities unless you control the whole domain and it's hosted at Fastmail.

Fastmail seems to be moving toward limiting users to sending with From addresses they control. That's a good idea for their service, since it reduces the chance of the Fastmail outgoing servers getting blocked because they are failing SPF and DKIM due to spoofing by users.

Bill
Thank you yes that is what I have been saying...but some people supposedly can change their identities.
Yes it will work in my own domain.
Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Dec 2019, 12:24 PM   #62
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grhm View Post
Done......
That worked ....
Old 1 Dec 2019, 12:41 PM   #63
Grhm
Essential Contributor

Last edited by Grhm : 1 Dec 2019 at 04:35 PM.
Grhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Dec 2019, 05:00 PM   #64
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Fastmail seems to be moving toward limiting users ...
That's true in general. Several things that the FastMail interface used to do for me in the past I now have to do manually, or find an alternative way to do it.
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Dec 2019, 09:27 PM   #65
Grhm
Essential Contributor

Quote:
...you can no longer set up wildcard sending identities unless you control the whole domain and it's hosted at Fastmail.
Yes, but it's worth stressing, for the benefit of the people who have been requesting this as a feature, that if you select a * wildcard sending-identity on any domain, you can then edit the send address, on the compose screen, to anything at all: you're not restricted to addresses on that domain.
Old 2 Dec 2019, 04:39 AM   #66
pjwalsh
Essential Contributor

The ability to add users at a lower service level than the primary account.
pjwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Dec 2019, 08:30 AM   #67
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grhm View Post
Yes, but it's worth stressing, for the benefit of the people who have been requesting this as a feature, that if you select a * wildcard sending-identity on any domain, you can then edit the send address, on the compose screen, to anything at all: you're not restricted to addresses on that domain.
Most of us cant do that any more when selecting say *@sent.com as that feature has been removed from my account

Its only if you have this already set up.

Last edited by Terry : 2 Dec 2019 at 08:54 AM.
Old 2 Dec 2019, 11:25 AM   #68
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

FWIW, when I originally experimented with wildcard aliases I created, for example, the alias xyz@sent.com and then a sending identity *@xyz.sent.com. Selecting that from the compose sender popup produces an editable From (and I assume should still work for everyone). But I gave up on these kind of wildcard sending identities because of some "quirks" I didn't like.

Quirk 1: If you have a number of sending identities in the sender compose popup then whatever is shown as the selection in the popup would supply the name part of an email address to replace the * when you selected the wildcard alias. While you always would have to edit the From anyhow I would have preferred it just left the * in the initial From address and not show an unassociated name.

Quirk 2 (most annoying): If the recipient replies to whatever you used, and you want to reply to that, the From in the reply compose doesn't show the sent address you used so you always must edit the From: in your reply to their reply. This is the inconvenient. Why isn't the default reply supplied from the To: of the reply you are trying to reply to?
xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Dec 2019, 06:04 PM   #69
Grhm
Essential Contributor

Agreed.
(Your "Quirk 2" = My "★3", above)
Old 2 Dec 2019, 10:24 PM   #70
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

Update: I reported the inability to add (eg) *@sent.com as an identity (because of the insistence of the webpage that one then has to define an SMTP server etc) as a bug.

It turns out that (to my mind) it is a bug though FM don't seem to agree. What's happened is that in the Advanced Preferences that you can open at the foot of the definition page, FM have pre-ticked the bit that says "I want to use an external SMTP server". So the bit you do see expects you to provide the server details.

If you open Advanced Preferences, and turn off the "I want to use an external SMTP server" setting, you CAN define an asterisk id.
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Dec 2019, 03:31 AM   #71
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

One little thing I would like is that in the contacts, in addition to "personal", "work" and "other", there would be "old" (or "obsolete"). Same would be nice in other fields, such as phone, but not as essential as for email addresses.
I do not erase old email addresses from contacts, because when viewing old messages those addresses are associated with the contact they belong to/ on the other hand, when composing they appear as suggested addresses when the contact's name is typed. So what I would like is that addresses designated as "old" (or "obsolete") would be excluded when composing email, but would still identify the right person when viewing archived mail.

BTW, is there a way to search for all mail related to a contact? I don't see anything like this in the advanced search screen. I think this can be quite useful: an option to search for email that contains, either in the headers or in the text, any of the email addresses or phone numbers included in a contact entry.

I usually search for email by the sender of the current viewed message, by clicking the search field that already has the sender's address displayed as an option. Today I searched this way for my brother's email, and got very little email: only the ones with his current work address. People in hi-tech tend to change email addresses as often as other people change socks...
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Dec 2019, 10:56 AM   #72
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

Speaking of contacts, it would be nice if contacts allowed my liberal use of globing. For example at the very least, *@*.domain and name@*.domain.

Currently all that's allowed is *@domain in the contacts but some organizations (at least some I gety mail from) use sub-domains preceding their top domains and I cannot always anticipate what they might use to enumerate them all in the contacts list.

I get around this in my Sieve script but I think it would be be preferable in all one place, i.e., the contacts.
xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote