EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 26 Mar 2020, 04:06 AM   #1
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
Free email forwarding services?

Does anyone know a reliable service allowing to creating email addresses strictly for forwarding emails to an existing address?

The purpose would be to be able to post, in forums I am member of, an email address which allows members to email me, without exposing my real email address. Of course, this little loophole requires a reliable service where the email address doesn't expire after a short period of time, and which actually forwards the emails as they should.

I would like to have the emails forwarded to my Outlook account (webmail) or Protonmail account (webmail) but since those are personal accounts I rather don't reveal the real email address for everyone to see on any random forum.
An email address forwarding to one of those seems a bit easier than creating yet another mailbox as I already have sufficient email accounts that I need to check often
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 26 Mar 2020, 05:58 AM   #2
Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
Does anyone know a reliable service allowing to creating email addresses strictly for forwarding emails to an existing address?

The purpose would be to be able to post, in forums I am member of, an email address which allows members to email me, without exposing my real email address. Of course, this little loophole requires a reliable service where the email address doesn't expire after a short period of time, and which actually forwards the emails as they should.

I would like to have the emails forwarded to my Outlook account (webmail) or Protonmail account (webmail) but since those are personal accounts I rather don't reveal the real email address for everyone to see on any random forum.
An email address forwarding to one of those seems a bit easier than creating yet another mailbox as I already have sufficient email accounts that I need to check often
mail.ch / mail.co.uk allow that on their free plan.
Same company, maybe they have other country codes/tld's too.

Maybe mail.com / gmx.com has the same functionality ...
Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Mar 2020, 10:39 AM   #3
jeffpan
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
tls-mail.com
I have the enough (maybe) authoritativeness on this, b/c I have seriously tested many forwarding services.

Fair to say, the best premium option is Pobox, it's 20 USD/y, you got a dead solid forwarding function. Its antispam is good and flexible, the rules can be customized by user.

The best free option is ImprovMX, its basic forwarding function works just well. The drawback is once you move your domain's MX records out of them, the forwarding will stop. Pobox doesn't care if your MX is pointing to them or not.

Besides these, most domain hosting have free email forwarding, such as Porkbun, Namesilo, Namecheap. I think these three have been handling well for email forwardings.

Regards.
jeffpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Mar 2020, 02:39 PM   #4
TenFour
Master of the @

Why not just create a free Gmail or Outlook.com account and just forward from it? I have several like that I use for various purposes.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Mar 2020, 05:48 AM   #5
malcontent
Essential Contributor

https://anonaddy.com/
malcontent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Mar 2020, 08:09 AM   #6
jeffpan
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
tls-mail.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
Their bandwidth sucks.10mb per month.
Old 28 Mar 2020, 02:51 AM   #7
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpan View Post
Their bandwidth sucks.10mb per month.
If people only send emails to the forwarding address, knowing that the average email (without attachments) is quite tiny, do you think this is really a dealbreaker?

I've checked their website, looks quite neat. Do I understand correctly that you can have the emails sent to your anonaddy.com address forwarded to 2 email accounts at once?

The one thing I fear is that an email address something@something.anonaddy.com is a bit long for the average person. Some people aren't familiar with third level domains in email.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reader View Post
mail.ch / mail.co.uk allow that on their free plan.
Same company, maybe they have other country codes/tld's too.

Maybe mail.com / gmx.com has the same functionality ...
Mail.com can be used for forwarding? They do have some neat domains to choose from.

I used to have a mail.co.uk and mail.fr account (mail.fr and I think also mail.de are the same company, although not entirely sure about mail.de) and found it quite nice. I have not used it in ages though, so those accounts are probably long expired.
Old 28 Mar 2020, 03:04 AM   #8
TenFour
Master of the @

One advantage of using a Gmail or Outlook.com address for forwarding is they are much less likely to be blocked as spam by other mail services, in my experience. Some of these obscure forwarders may work for awhile, but watch out if their sender reputation takes a hit when the inevitable scammer starts to use them. I've been forwarding from Gmail and Outlook.com accounts for many years with perfect reliability.
Old 28 Mar 2020, 06:27 PM   #9
Reader

Quote:
Tsunami
Mail.com can be used for forwarding? They do have some neat domains to choose from.

Yes, both gmx and mail.com. I did not test, but the filters are there, including the possibility to forward to external addresses. If I understood those correct.
Old 28 Mar 2020, 08:19 PM   #10
jeffpan
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
tls-mail.com
I have to clarify that, mail.com, GMX(.com .net .ch .at .fr... a lot of extends), web.de, Caramail belong to 1and1 group, a germany huge company.
While mail.de, mail.ch, mail.co.uk, mail.fr belong to Mail.de group, a much smaller company.

I am mail.de premium account, its mobile app works really nice, but webmail is urgy.
Old 29 Mar 2020, 12:53 AM   #11
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

How do you set up a GMX, Mail.com or Mail.co.uk account for forwarding purposes? Of these services I have experience with mail.co.uk (and mail.fr, which is almost the same but with French language interface) but can't remember the option to set up a forwarding account.

Big or small company doesn't make such a difference to me, as long as the service is reliable and isn't a noble initiative without solid plan to survive somewhat long-term.
Old 31 Mar 2020, 02:05 AM   #12
Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
How do you set up a GMX, Mail.com or Mail.co.uk account for forwarding purposes? Of these services I have experience with mail.co.uk (and mail.fr, which is almost the same but with French language interface) but can't remember the option to set up a forwarding account.

Big or small company doesn't make such a difference to me, as long as the service is reliable and isn't a noble initiative without solid plan to survive somewhat long-term.
gmx:
Settings/Filter Rules/Forward e-mails to another e-mail account/Create personal Filter Rules

mail.co.uk:
Look for settings/Rules .
mail.co.uk has the option to save a copy and forward to another address.
gmx perhaps only forward, I have not tested gmx.
Old 31 Mar 2020, 03:11 AM   #13
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reader View Post
mail.co.uk:
Look for settings/Rules .
mail.co.uk has the option to save a copy and forward to another address.
gmx perhaps only forward, I have not tested gmx.
You mean the email remains in the mail.co.uk inbox AND on top of that is forwarded to another address, so that the email is stored in two email accounts? That sounds great! It'd be an extra mailbox to check now and then, on the other hand if anything goes wrong with the forwarding there's always the copy in the mailbox itself.

Thanks for your feedback!
Old 23 Apr 2020, 05:54 AM   #14
TenFour
Master of the @

This one looks pretty good: ForwardEmail.net
Old 23 Apr 2020, 09:22 AM   #15
jeffpan
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
tls-mail.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
This one looks pretty good: ForwardEmail.net
This service silly. They require you to put destination address into DNS records.
How stupid this is!