EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > About this site...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

About this site... Do you have any thoughts, suggestions or comments about this site? Post them here...

Old 17 Dec 2003, 03:07 PM   #1
Jerry
Essential Contributor

I give in.

Edwin:

Okay -- I hate the pop ups. Can I buy a "pop up free" subscription?

Jerry
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 17 Dec 2003, 03:18 PM   #2
s a
Master of the @

if you are referring to the pop ups that appear when you receive private messages, you can simply stop them by clicking on User C. P. on the top left corner and then selecting no to popups under Options.

If you are talking about an email service you need to post this in the "email help needed" forum.
s a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Dec 2003, 03:30 PM   #3
Jerry
Essential Contributor

I'm getting "Reunion.com" pop-up windows (720x300) about every third page change as I navigate the FORUM.
Old 17 Dec 2003, 03:45 PM   #4
Killer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Killer.kkk.sg
Jerry, I think you got a spambot loading those popups in your computer. Nothing to do with this forum. I don't get any at all during my time here.
Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Dec 2003, 03:50 PM   #5
Edwin
 Administrator 

I can flat-out guarantee that the popups are not being loaded from the Forum itself.

However, my tip in yesterday's installment of my GeekTips blog sounds like just the thing you need...
http://www.geektips.com/2003_12_16_archive

Good luck getting rid of the e-pests!
Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Dec 2003, 03:55 PM   #6
Killer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Killer.kkk.sg
A way to check if you got "illegal" loading when your computer starts, try this. Click on start, run. Type in MSCONFIG. A box will popup. Click on startup. There you will see everything that starts when you startup you computer. Look for those unknown program and disable them by clicking off the tick in the check box. You can return here to check them back if you uncheck the wrong one.
Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Dec 2003, 02:11 PM   #7
Jerry
Essential Contributor

Hmmm . . .

Hi Edwin:

Very interesting. Okay. I've run Ad-Aware and SpyBot and deleted everything each turned up, and no problems (yet) today.

The odd thing is that yesterday when I did my daily forums surfing (starting with EMailDiscussions), I got the popups on your forum. I had no popups on the other four forums I surfed after that, but when I returned to EMailDiscussions, I got the popups again. They seemed to be triggered by page-change clicks. I was sure they were coming from you.

Sorry to have pointed the fickle finger of accusation at you erroneously.

Jerry
Old 18 Dec 2003, 10:50 PM   #8
Gankaku

Jerry, you might possibly want to keep an eye on the page you came FROM to get to EMD. Sometimes pages will do a popup upon LEAVING the page. (Excite does this).

I've got spybot and all, and that's fine, but it'll clean up but your popups will still appear. Try Google's Toolbar . It's so awesome for stopping popups but will also allow you to have popups where you need them (like on the EMD page to get PMs, or your bank where you might want information notices).
Gankaku is offline   Reply With Quote