EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 14 Jun 2012, 07:54 AM   #91
Switchblade

I just registered, because I wanted to present my opinion over here. Fortunately it pays off to read the thread, instead of ranting around.

User n5bb mentioned, that the old interfaces (even the one I started here) are still active and can be used. I thought they were gone and that the new AJAX login would be standard. Happily, I still can use my favorite interface. That is one hell of a good news. An even better one was the information from the Opera CEO, that Opera wants to stay independent. I don't like Facebook one bit (never had an account there) and it seems that many in the forums here, are the same opinion.

I'm not quite sure, how often the guys of Opera watch this thread, but I'm still going to mention the objects which are disturbing me.
  • my email interface is now GERMAN. I suppose it checks for the IP and where it comes from. But I don't want to have a German interface. There should be an option to choose the language
  • instead of only new mails showing the first one or two sentences in some kind of preview under the email title (directly in the overview), now all emails are this kind of "collapsed". I also found no option to turn this off. For me personally, this is relevant to security.
  • option for searching all folders is not visible
  • folder create and edit should be like the old interface, directly in the left sidebar
  • sidebar is the next point: while being in the emails, there's no option for auto-hide there
  • my folders now have a scrollbar, which looks very ugly. Should be similar to the old interface, so the viewport completely grows as long as needed
  • and now one of the biggest issue ever: opened emails do not use the full viewport, but instead are limited to like 300 pixels. Seriously?! I'm using a 1920x1080 resolution and the half of the screen is blank. I consider this as impractical. An option to change this bevahiour would be very desirable
  • to answer emails or forward them, i have to fully scroll down. Why not add those options also to the upper bar?
Well, I think that are the most important things which come to my mind after trying out the AJAX beta interface.

I know that improving the service means also improving the interface. Stagnation is death. To be the best and keep being it, you have to constantly work on yourself.

This post may seem to be very negative to many of you. But those are the things which keep me away from the new interface. And just in case, that someday Fastmail is throwing away the other interfaces, I want to be sure I can work as fast and smooth, and with the same amount of fun, as today.

So please don't be too harsh to me, I am only human.
Switchblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jun 2012, 04:41 PM   #92
Zasurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchblade View Post
  • folder create and edit should be like the old interface, directly in the left sidebar
+ 1

Quote:
  • and now one of the biggest issue ever: opened emails do not use the full viewport, but instead are limited to like 300 pixels. Seriously?! I'm using a 1920x1080 resolution and the half of the screen is blank. I consider this as impractical. An option to change this bevahiour would be very desirable
+1

Quote:
  • to answer emails or forward them, i have to fully scroll down. Why not add those options also to the upper bar?
+1

I am a firm believer that rewrites like this should always add new features not ever remove features (unless they have proof that it has a negative impact and nobody uses it) I don't think they should remove features from Fastmail with the new interface but instead add more options for the new features. So if you want to clean up the UI good let the new users see the new location of something in the UI by default (nice and clean) and give the old users (stuck in their ways! ) the option to keep the the old location.

I do LOVE MOST of the new UI and find some of the new features good enough to TRY and keep using it but with no feedback to our comments here any more some of the biggest bugs/missing features are starting to drive me back to the old beta all the time.
The biggest bugs/missing fetures for me are (all been mentioned in here before):
  • Login times out CONSTANTLY and you can't log back in using the provided prompt (this is a biggy)
  • Can't reply/send from email addresses that don't have a personality (and it doesn't auto reply using the email address it was sent to)
That's the biggest ones for me. If these were fixed I could use this UI all the time and help add any other bugs to the list to get this nice UI to the general public.

Zas

Last edited by Zasurus : 14 Jun 2012 at 04:47 PM.
Zasurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jun 2012, 05:16 PM   #93
Peekay

Well, Johan (Opera representative) posted a comment a few days ago in this thread and I have posted a direct question about feature retention. Perhaps he will clarify the situation.
Peekay is offline   Reply With Quote