EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 12 Jul 2019, 09:05 AM   #1
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
Creating a YouTube account

Can anyone advise what is the best way to create a YouTube account without your email address showing?

In the past you could create YouTube accounts as a stand-alone, but I'm not sure if that is still possible without using a Gmail address. I'm not sure if you could for example still sign up with an Outlook.com or Mail.com email address.

Also, I'm a bit wary of signing up the wrong way with as a consequence my email address showing... I don't mind people seeing my actual name when I make comments to a YouTube video (a pseudonym is optional but not necessary) but I do like to keep my email address private and hand it out myself only to friends and people I trust. I wouldn't want my email address to just be publically showing.
This also scares me off in just trying to sign up, because if I'd make a mistake the consequences could be very unpleasant.

I would mainly like to create a YouTube account to comment on videos (no bashing like some people do on YouTube, only constructive feedback and questions about the videos) and make a playlist of my favourite videos on YouTube.

I may upload some self-filmed videos in the future, although most of those are from sports games, and not from very famous teams. So I doubt many people are waiting for that...
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12 Jul 2019, 09:28 AM   #2
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow Creating Google account using non-Gmail address

You can create a Google account using a non-Gmail address, then create a YouTube account using that Google account. I just tested this with a Fastmail alias, and it works fine.
  • Start here:
    https://accounts.google.com/signup/v...gnUp&nogm=true
  • Create a Google account with a non-Gmail email address on that page. You will need to receive an activation email sent to that new email address.
  • Sign in to YouTube using the email address you used for the Google account.
Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jul 2019, 11:40 PM   #3
chrisretusn
Cornerstone of the Community

I have been a YouTube user since 2006. Your email address is not publicly shown. I regularly comment on channels I follow ((280+) and some I don't follow.

From your channel page, customize channel, on your About page you can optionally add a business address. When you do it is still hidden to prevent harvesting. If someone who wants to contact you via that email address they have to click "VIEW EMAIL ADDRESS" and go through a captcha process before it is viewable. If you put no address, nothing shows.

Today I uploaded a video for the first time just to test out. I set it unlisted. If your interested you can view it in the link below. You can click my name (same as the forum) and see what info you can see. My About page doesn't have much on it.

https://youtu.be/4vrxW6aSI5g

This channel is under my main Google account. This is my alias YouTube account. If you already have a Google account, you create a new YouTube account of that.

Last edited by chrisretusn : 12 Jul 2019 at 11:46 PM.
chrisretusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jul 2019, 04:00 AM   #4
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Thumbs up

Thanks for the info!

When signing up (regardless if it's with a Gmail address or other address), how do you choose your username that appears when you post a comment? My biggest fear is that my email address would be exposed/visable, so I want to avoid that at all costs ; I don't mind using my real name or pseudonym, as long as it's not my email address. How do you set your moniker that appears when you make a coment on a video (or when you post a video yourself)?
Old 13 Jul 2019, 08:22 AM   #5
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

PS: wouldn't mind being able to receive PM's on YouTube if someone wants to get in touch with me after reading a comment of mine or so.

But I'd prefer my email address to not show anywhere, and just have a moniker (real name or pseudonym) for posting comments or videos. I don't mind getting in touch with new people, it may even be nice to communicate with other people who enjoy the same music videos etc. I just don't want them to know my email address and contact me that way.
Old 13 Jul 2019, 12:27 PM   #6
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

See:
Control what others see about you across Google services
https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6304920

Why do you think your email address will be shown? Do you see the email address of other commenters on YouTube? In general I don't.

Bill
Old 13 Jul 2019, 09:17 PM   #7
chrisretusn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
Thanks for the info!

When signing up (regardless if it's with a Gmail address or other address), how do you choose your username that appears when you post a comment? My biggest fear is that my email address would be exposed/visable, so I want to avoid that at all costs ; I don't mind using my real name or pseudonym, as long as it's not my email address. How do you set your moniker that appears when you make a coment on a video (or when you post a video yourself)?
My gmail account email is never display to anyone using YouTube or Google for that matter.

If you have a Gmail account, you have a Google account and intern can create a YouTube channel under your main account with a different name.

When I look at my channel for my account there are two shown. One is shown as owner account, no channel. The other is shown as chrisretusn, number of subscribers, no public videos. There is also an option to create another channel, under another name of my choosing.

This my help: https://support.google.com/youtube/?p=manage_channels

I use what is called a branded account, a different name than the one used with my Google account.
Old 18 Jul 2019, 01:05 AM   #8
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

It seems, from the explanation on that page, that you either use your Google Account and post on YouTube with the same name and picture you use for your Gmail, or you have a branded account where you can set another name and picture. In neither of both cases email addresses would be shown, it seems (at least, they don't mention anything like that). However, the branded account is described as an account where multiple people can sign in and post content under that account.

From your comments though, it seems you can opt for a branded account even if you're the only one that has access to the account? (and that way post on YouTube under the moniker you choose yourself, regardless of the attached Gmail/Google account)

PS: pretty handy that when clicking the links you provided, I automatically get to see the Dutch-language version of the page.
Old 18 Jul 2019, 11:38 AM   #9
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

I don’t understand why you are still so worried. It’s very easy (see my two earlier posts for the details):
  • Create a Google account. You can choose to verify your identity using a message sent to a Gmail or any other email account.
  • Read the Google terms of service and set the visibility you want to allow for use of this Google account.
It’s very simple. No “Google branded account” needed. Have you followed the link at my first post and set up your new Google account? I did that within 20 minutes of your initial post. That new Google account will be tied to the email address and name you used when you set it up. If you are using the new Google account on the same PC as where you use an existing Gmail account, you need to be careful with which Google account you are using for your activities. I believe that after logging out of all Google accounts, the initial Google account you use (use as Gmail) will become the primary Google account for activities until you log out of all Google accounts and start again.

Bill
Old 19 Jul 2019, 01:44 AM   #10
chrisretusn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
It seems, from the explanation on that page, that you either use your Google Account and post on YouTube with the same name and picture you use for your Gmail, or you have a branded account where you can set another name and picture. In neither of both cases email addresses would be shown, it seems (at least, they don't mention anything like that). However, the branded account is described as an account where multiple people can sign in and post content under that account.
My main Google account does not have a YouTube channel. I can create one but choose not to. On my accounts Channel Switcher page I see two accounts. One under my real name "redacted redacted@gmail.com Owner account, no channel" The second under my chosen channel name "chrisretusn 2 subscribers No public videos" I can add other channels I I wanted too.

My main account (Google account) can only view videos and cannot comment on them. I can still subscribe to channels and Like or Dislike videos but that's about it. For my personal channel, I want it this way. In fact if I try to save a video for example, I will be prompted to create an account. Perhaps this will explain it:
https://support.google.com/youtube/a...?topic=3024170

I use my "branded" account under my alias to make comments on videos.

Quote:
From your comments though, it seems you can opt for a branded account even if you're the only one that has access to the account? (and that way post on YouTube under the moniker you choose yourself, regardless of the attached Gmail/Google account)
Yes. This is how I am currently using my channel. As I mentioned above my Google account under my real name does not have a channel. I may decide to change that some day, but right now I am fine with using my alias.

Quote:
PS: pretty handy that when clicking the links you provided, I automatically get to see the Dutch-language version of the page.
When posting the link I remove the language tag from the URL.
Old 19 Jul 2019, 09:04 AM   #11
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
I don’t understand why you are still so worried. It’s very easy (see my two earlier posts for the details):
  • Create a Google account. You can choose to verify your identity using a message sent to a Gmail or any other email account.
  • Read the Google terms of service and set the visibility you want to allow for use of this Google account.
It’s very simple. No “Google branded account” needed. Have you followed the link at my first post and set up your new Google account? I did that within 20 minutes of your initial post. That new Google account will be tied to the email address and name you used when you set it up. If you are using the new Google account on the same PC as where you use an existing Gmail account, you need to be careful with which Google account you are using for your activities. I believe that after logging out of all Google accounts, the initial Google account you use (use as Gmail) will become the primary Google account for activities until you log out of all Google accounts and start again.

Bill
Sure there is no need for a branded account if you want to be free to choose the username you want to appear as when commenting on videos?

In this page it does refer to branded accounts when wanting to use a different name than your associated Google Account.

Whereas in the link provided by chrisretusn, there is a demo video where in the example used, upon creating a YouTube channel (necessary to comment on existing videos) the name and surname of the person used as example appear as how they will be displayed on YouTube.

I wouldn't mind my real first and second name being displayed on YouTube, as long as my email address is not showing or retrievable. If I could set a pseudonym, I'd see that as a bonus rather than a necessarity (but it'd be handy as my real name is quite hard for non-Dutch speakers).
Old 19 Jul 2019, 03:08 PM   #12
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

I'm not going to comment in this thread any more. I tested this a week ago and it worked. Just create your new Google account with whatever name you wish and use it. It meets your stated requirements.