EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 2 Jun 2017, 07:02 AM   #16
PON
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
I suppose you have tried deleting your cache and cookies in your browser.

Are you trying to email someone on google or it is anyone.
Yes, I have. It was anyone.

I haven't had the problem lately. Hesitate to post that. Would be nice if someone from Fastmail said either

We know / think we know what was / is wrong and it's fixed / we're working on it ...

OR

We don't believe there's a problem (and aren't looking to resolve it)

Transparency about problems was one of the things that was attractive about Fastmail in the early days and helped made the glitches sufferable.
PON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Jun 2017, 07:51 AM   #17
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by PON View Post
Transparency about problems was one of the things that was attractive about Fastmail in the early days and helped made the glitches sufferable.
Transparency and customer focus were a large part of what originally attracted me. In fairness, while most FastMail staff are not as open as they used to be, they do still tend to thoroughly and truthfully explain major issues that affect large numbers of users. The loss of customer focus, and retreat into their ivory tower is a bigger concern.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Jun 2017, 12:41 AM   #18
elvey
The "e" in e-mail

Wondering what the packet loss to fastmail is for the folks experiencing the problem.

Network speed and packet loss are separate metrics. And the latter is far more relevant to the reported issue.

For me: (I'd suggest folks let it run for at least a few minutes to get a decent sample.)

Code:
                                                       My traceroute  [v0.86]
ComputerName.local (0.0.0.0)                                                                                        Mon Jun  5 07:37:48 2017
Keys:  Help   Display mode   Restart statistics   Order of fields   quit
                                                                                            Packets               Pings
 Host                                                                                     Loss%   Snt   Last   Avg  Best  Wrst StDev
 1. 10.0.0.1                                                                               0.0%  2839    1.4   2.0   1.3   6.1   1.2
 6. ae-1-51.edge2.Newark1.Level3.net                                                       0.0%  2839   80.4  88.8  78.3 480.0  24.8
 7. ae-1-51.edge2.Newark1.Level3.net                                                       0.1%  2839   81.8  89.5  78.3 390.7  26.0
 8. THE-NEW-YOR.ear3.Newark1.Level3.net                                                    0.0%  2839   83.0 105.4  79.6 400.0  48.4
 9. cs20.cs90.v.ewr.nyinternet.net                                                         0.0%  2839   81.9 100.2  80.4 847.4  43.3
10. 199.83.60.138.static.nyinternet.net                                                    0.0%  2839   87.7  95.7  85.4 480.3  25.4
11. mail.messagingengine.com                                                               0.0%  2839   91.3  95.5  85.2 337.0  23.5

Last edited by elvey : 6 Jun 2017 at 04:22 AM.
elvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jun 2017, 12:41 PM   #19
PON
Essential Contributor

I've never seen anything other than 0% packet loss.

What program did you use to generate the output? (I don't recognise it)
Old 17 Jun 2017, 06:19 AM   #20
elvey
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
I've never seen anything other than 0% packet loss.

What program did you use to generate the output? (I don't recognise it)
I'm using mtr. What are you using?

http://www.bitwizard.nl/mtr/ or use your favorite installer; it's probably supported (homebrew, port, etc.)
Old 19 Jun 2017, 04:25 AM   #21
PON
Essential Contributor

So far just ping and traceroute (on linux). I didn't know about mtr (thanks); turns out I have mtr-tiny installed (on Linux Mint).

I've left it running for a while. No packet losses at all between me and Fastmail.
Old 19 Jun 2017, 04:59 AM   #22
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
So far just ping and traceroute (on linux). I didn't know about mtr (thanks); turns out I have mtr-tiny installed (on Linux Mint).

I've left it running for a while. No packet losses at all between me and Fastmail.
Any problems yet with the new interface during this period of no packet loss?
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jun 2017, 09:57 PM   #23
PON
Essential Contributor

Yes. The new UI hung on me this morning when I reply on a message with an attachment. I checked the link to mail.messagingengine.com at the time: zero packet loss and 115ms response times.
Old 8 Jul 2017, 06:08 AM   #24
elvey
The "e" in e-mail

Hmm... I'd post or share mtr output like I did as part of a detailed issue report and press support to look into it. Sometimes they miss threads here. What city/area are you in? Your OS and browser are? otherwise working well?
Old 8 Jul 2017, 09:31 AM   #25
PON
Essential Contributor

OS and browser:

I have the same issue with both browsers (Chrome and Firefox) and both OSes that I use (Windows 7 and Linux Mint).

Currently I'm in the countryside in County Wicklow in Ireland connected via a 3Mb DSL connection with a 270k uplink.

I hit forward on a message with a 401k attachment just now and Fastmail died, as it often does when I do that. I had to log out, log back in, download the attachment, compose new, then attach the attachment.

It's been like this for a long time. Never happened once with the old UI.
Old 8 Jul 2017, 09:50 AM   #26
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Be sure to file a support request.
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jul 2017, 08:47 PM   #27
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

My reply mail has been sticking for me today, I wonder if fastmail are changing over servers or backing something up.

The problem is only when I hit reply my normal compose mail goes ok.

I have POP access enabled and I wonder if deleting my read mail in Thunderbird is breaking something in fastmail, although I have ticked leave mail on the server, a few weeks ago some of my mail was missing in my fastmail in box, but the last 3 or 4 weeks it seems to have sorted its self out and all my mail is being left on the server.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jul 2017, 12:05 PM   #28
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Update, it did it again today and the reply I was sending had lots of smilies so perhaps there is something in Fastmail that does not like smilies or photo's....
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jul 2017, 07:23 PM   #29
PON
Essential Contributor

I continue to have the problem intermittently. I doubt it's connected with smilies. In my case it happens only when there's an attachment. If there are several it's almost guaranteed to happen -- it means I have to save and recompose every time instead of forwarding.