EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 29 Jan 2007, 06:12 AM   #1
RLBrooks

Question Poll / Refresh

When I click on Poll it keeps FM from locking up in 2 hours but it doesn't detect new mail until I manually click Refresh.

Is this correct? Shouldn't FM pick up new email when it polls?

I'm using Firefox under WinXPpro.

Russ
RLBrooks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 29 Jan 2007, 11:46 AM   #2
robmueller
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
Yes, it should automatically refresh. The refresh time is shown in the window, and depending on your service level you can change it.

One thing to note, the folder being polled is the one you were in when you clicked the "Poll" link, so if you're not in the Inbox when you click Poll, you won't be polling Inbox for new email...

Rob
robmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jan 2007, 12:46 PM   #3
RLBrooks

Just to be sure I'm complaining about the right thing I made sure I was looking at the inbox of my account. Next I went to another id off FM and sent myself an email. After waiting over half an hour the inbox was still empty. I clicked on refresh and the email I sent myself appeared.

I have an Enhanced account and I think the refresh defaults to 5 minutes so I should have seen the email without manually refreshing right?

I'm accessing FM via webmail in a Firefox tab. When I click poll it creates a 2nd Firefox task, not just another tab in the first Firefox. Don't know if this matters or not.

Russ
Old 31 Jan 2007, 12:52 AM   #4
JRobert
Master of the @

Something else to check: did you remain logged in to FM while you were waiting for the incoming email? The poll window uses the FM session that started it, i.e., the window in which you clicked "Poll". For Poll to work, that session must not get logged out, though can close its window.

-jeff-
JRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jan 2007, 01:03 AM   #5
RLBrooks

Yes I stayed logged in to FM. That's the main reason I use "Poll". Refreshing to pick up new mail would be a nice feature to have working but is a weak second to keeping FM from logging itself off.

Russ
Old 31 Jan 2007, 03:23 AM   #6
Sherry

Quote:
Originally posted by RLBrooks
I'm accessing FM via webmail in a Firefox tab. When I click poll it creates a 2nd Firefox task, not just another tab in the first Firefox. Don't know if this matters or not.
I don't know Firefox but, as a test, can you have it stay in the same tab (task) when you hit Poll? The actual polling may be getting done in the first tab (task) where you asked for it but not being in it you may not see the new mail? By hitting refresh in the second tab you can then see the email the first tab picked up? (just a guess)

Sherry
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jan 2007, 03:38 AM   #7
RLBrooks

That doesn't work. If I try to have it open Poll in a new tab in the same Firefox then I just get another FM window same as the current tab. It seems to have to open in a separate Firfox window in order to be the polling/refresh session.

Russ
Old 31 Jan 2007, 06:56 AM   #8
Sherry

Sorry it didn't work. I was thinking how IE works. If you are in a window that is set to refresh every x minutes (like a stocks or live sports game etc) you need to be in the window for it to refresh. If you open a second window for the same site and are in that then the first window will not refresh unless it's the "active" one.

Sherry
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jan 2007, 08:56 PM   #9
robmueller
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
Quote:
Originally posted by RLBrooks

Russ
Is that a problem? What happens when you just leave that window open, it should refresh regularly and keep your session alive. Also as it appears in the task bar, you'll see that the window title has the number of unread messages in the folder, so you can easily see when new messages arrive.

Rob
Old 31 Jan 2007, 11:37 PM   #10
RLBrooks

Well I guess that's the question, what should I be seeing? Does the main FM window refresh and show new mail or just the Poll window update and indicate new mail is available? I thought I was supposed to see the mail in the FM window and when I didn't I thought something was broke. If it's not supposed to work that way then I can live with it as it is.

Russ
Old 1 Feb 2007, 08:54 AM   #11
robmueller
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
The way it was supposed to work is:

1. You click Poll, which opens a new window
2. You can then close the original mailbox window. If you don't, it won't update automatically. Only the new little poll window updates automatically
3. When a new email arrives, you just click on the "Mailbox" link in the poll window, which will open a big window again at your mailbox.

The other option is to use something like FastCheck, http://www.fastcheck.org

Rob
Old 1 Feb 2007, 10:13 AM   #12
RLBrooks

Ok, I've got it now. I was using it wrong and wondering why it didn't work!

Russ
Old 1 Feb 2007, 11:08 AM   #13
RLBrooks

New issue!!

The Poll window shows 2 more files than are in my Inbox. I have two files in the Inbox and both have been read. The Poll window shows "0 of 4".

Russ
Old 2 Feb 2007, 09:49 AM   #14
robmueller
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
Ah yeah, if you recently deleted 2 items, the inbox might show the incorrect total count. I've rolled out a fix on beta, will roll out everywhere soon.

Rob