EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 5 Apr 2002, 12:16 PM   #1
luisrodriguez

Question Domain name registration

I suppose this must have been posted here before, so please bear with me...

I am about to register my own domain (and go to an enhanced fastmail account!!) and was wondering if some of the forum participants could give some hints about your favorite (or least favorite!!) provider. Anything you have heard that applies to its service in reference to fastmail, etc...

Thanks,
luisrodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 5 Apr 2002, 12:50 PM   #2
lux
The "e" in e-mail

Look at here:

http://www.emailaddresses.com/guide_forward.htm

The ones Edwin suggested are pretty good...
lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Apr 2002, 12:55 PM   #3
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

Actually that's for email forwarding. Since Luisrodriguez will have an enhanced account this is not necessary and will reduce reliability. I've asked Edwin to add a section to his guide about direct email hosting but he's either decided not to or hasn't got around to it yet.

We have recommended 4 registrars in this FAQ entry: http://www.fastmail.fm/docs/faqparts...ml#AliasDomain . These recommendations are based on personal experience and feedback from our customers. If you use GoDaddy you'll get the best support from us because we use them, so we know their management interface best.
Jeremy Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Apr 2002, 01:54 PM   #4
lmg

Jeremy,

What is the connection between 'ns1.messagingengine.com' and 'ns2.messagingengine.com' and FastMail? Are those 'your" name servers, or are they owned by some third party service and used by FastMail, or ? Just curious, since they're rather generic names.
lmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Apr 2002, 04:00 PM   #5
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

The Messaging Engine is a brand we will shortly be launching. It will provide the engine for outsourcing businesses email, and for other email providers who wish to provide their own branded service. FastMail.FM will be "Powered by The Messaging Engine". www.messagingengine.com will shortly have a site up that will explain how companies can use the same engine that powers FastMail.FM to power email for their own staff or customers.

The separation of brands is designed to simplify the buying process for potential customers. People looking for an outsourcing solution need information about the engine, bulk purchasing, etc, so they get a completely different site to people looking for personal email accounts.
Old 7 Apr 2002, 06:51 PM   #6
Jessm
Essential Contributor

luisrodriguez,

I currently use StargateInc as my domain registar. They offer many features such as URL Forwarding/Masking and email address with the registration of your domain. Sadly, they just increased their fees from $8.85/year to $13.95/year. BUT, they do offer registration of two domains or more at their original low price of $8.85/year per domain. Many people register more than one domain (for example: personal, and business OR the yourdomain.com and yourdomain.net)

Check them out!
http://www.stargate.com or http://www.stargateinc.com

GoDaddy is also another affordable domain registar. The only problem with them is that they offer extra features for extra $$. For example, they charge for URL Forwarding.

Good luck,

Jessica
Jessm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Apr 2002, 07:31 PM   #7
luzanne

here's where you can get really cheap domains

i've also been looking for good registrars.

i didn't like godaddy coz i couldn't transfer or register even after 10 tries over a few months. they always had some error about my transactions and didn't get back to my queries.

but registerfly.com ($9.99) is quite reliable and so is mydomain.com ($14.95) which has unlimited subdomains, email forwards and customizing so u can do all sorts of stuff with ur domain.

if u want really cheap ones go to

http://www.namecheap.com/ ($8.88)
http://www.weregisterdomains.com/ ($8.00)
http://newdotcity.com/ ($8.95)

they have no restictions or anything as far as i know.

or alternatively you can register at the cheap domain providers and use mydomain features by using mydomain nameservers for your domain. i'm currently doing this.
luzanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Apr 2002, 07:55 PM   #8
Boom
Essential Contributor

Someone talked too me about a really good service that haves hosting included with all scripting possibilities and was even cheaper than my namezero one but i forgot its name
Boom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Apr 2002, 08:03 PM   #9
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

Don't worry too much about extra services when you register a domain. You can always get these services for free from ZoneEdit or MyDomain for free regardless of which registrar you use.
Old 7 Apr 2002, 08:04 PM   #10
spiderman
Cornerstone of the Community

Representative of:
Fastcheck.org
Smile

I tried godaddy yesterday and my domain name is already live today!

SM
spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Apr 2002, 08:31 PM   #11
Jessm
Essential Contributor

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Howard
Don't worry too much about extra services when you register a domain. You can always get these services for free from ZoneEdit or MyDomain for free regardless of which registrar you use.
Good tip, Jeremy! I didn't know about these two services. I may just go with GoDaddy for my next domain name!

Thanks!

Jessica
Jessm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Apr 2002, 08:45 PM   #12
Boom
Essential Contributor

Well I have to transfer my domain anyway
I'm not paying 35 $ for another year with them
Boom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Apr 2002, 03:10 AM   #13
nic76
Essential Contributor

35$!! compared to that even my .name domain is cheap! lol
nic76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Apr 2002, 04:48 AM   #14
SOHCC

Jeremy,

Can you use MyDomain services if you buy your domain from GoDaddy ? Any idea on allowable bandwith ? I am using ZoneEdit now, but they only allow total of 200MB bandwith (DNS, email forwarding, URL forwading...) per year for free. With all the bandwith that FM gives you, you can't use b/c ZoneEdit won't allow it.

Might as well get an Enhanced account.
SOHCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Apr 2002, 04:53 AM   #15
lux
The "e" in e-mail

I think Zoneedit allows 5, 200MB*5=1GB

You can always switch to Mydomain.com quickly If you are approaching the limit...

You don't have to borther Zoneedit, you can always use your registrar's service (if they provide one)...
lux is offline   Reply With Quote