EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 12 Jan 2005, 07:40 PM   #1
Carefree Frank

Question Just a quickie...

I`ve seen some people using headphones and a mike when using their comp. Does this mean you can talk live to other people on the net? and can you plug these headsets into any comp?
Carefree Frank is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12 Jan 2005, 10:52 PM   #2
ReuvenNY

Yes. You can plug to any computer that has the correct sound card (for recording). Most do. You will also need software, like Skype or similar.
ReuvenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jan 2005, 06:39 PM   #3
Carefree Frank

Thumbs up

Thanks mate!
Old 16 Jan 2005, 08:49 AM   #4
Carefree Frank

Question Another quickie...

This time I have a question about printer cartridges.

Obviously I`ve seen that you can purchase brand new cartridges for your printer, but I`d like to enquire about refill kits.

1. Are they any good?

2. Can you keep topping up a cartridge for eternity, or do you eventually have to buy new ones?
Old 16 Jan 2005, 08:59 AM   #5
xbot
Cornerstone of the Community

Representative of:
xxos.us
Re: Another quickie...

Quote:
Originally posted by Carefree Frank
This time I have a question about printer cartridges.

Obviously I`ve seen that you can purchase brand new cartridges for your printer, but I`d like to enquire about refill kits.

1. Are they any good?

2. Can you keep topping up a cartridge for eternity, or do you eventually have to buy new ones?
1. Usually not. Most of the time you will experience difficulties, in my experience anyway. Most of the people I repair computers for ask this very question, and when they go about it on their own without taking our advice, they have to buy new cartridges. Some extreme cases they needed a new printer because they got it from some faulty website >_<.

2. You can do it until you can't put any more holes in the cartridge.
xbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jan 2005, 09:03 AM   #6
Carefree Frank

The refill kits I`ve seen are from the company that I bought the comp and printer from, so I imagine they are okay. As for the number of holes. Couldnt you just keep inserting the needle into the same one? Or is it not that easy?
Old 16 Jan 2005, 09:42 AM   #7
xbot

Representative of:
xxos.us
Quote:
Originally posted by Carefree Frank
The refill kits I`ve seen are from the company that I bought the comp and printer from, so I imagine they are okay. As for the number of holes. Couldnt you just keep inserting the needle into the same one? Or is it not that easy?
Never really did much with them. All I know is that generally it's frustratingly difficult to accomplish, and it's much more efficient to simply buy new cartridges.
Old 17 Jan 2005, 05:57 AM   #8
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

Re: Re: Another quickie...

Quote:
Originally posted by xbot
1. Usually not. [...]
I think it depends on the printer (and hence the cartridge design) more than anything else.&nbsp; The cartridges which fit the Canon S400 are a dream to refill (such a pity that the printer itself isn't very good); those for the HP Deskjet 600 are more of a nightmare, especially the colour one.

Quote:
2. You can do it until you can't put any more holes in the cartridge.
Eh?&nbsp; Refills are usually done by removing the plug from the hole drilled in order to do the first refill (or in some cases just unblocked, as is the case for some HP black cartridges), doing the refill, and reinserting the plug into the same hole; all instructions I've seen so far say that, to get the optimum balance between economy and problem avoidance, cartridges should be refilled six times, no more...
robert@fm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jan 2005, 06:42 AM   #9
xbot

Representative of:
xxos.us
Re: Re: Re: Another quickie...

Quote:
Originally posted by robert@fm
I think it depends on the printer (and hence the cartridge design) more than anything else.&nbsp; The cartridges which fit the Canon S400 are a dream to refill (such a pity that the printer itself isn't very good); those for the HP Deskjet 600 are more of a nightmare, especially the colour one.

Eh?&nbsp; Refills are usually done by removing the plug from the hole drilled in order to do the first refill (or in some cases just unblocked, as is the case for some HP black cartridges), doing the refill, and reinserting the plug into the same hole; all instructions I've seen so far say that, to get the optimum balance between economy and problem avoidance, cartridges should be refilled six times, no more...
You know more than I then .
Old 29 Jan 2005, 05:44 AM   #10
sterdeus

If you're still looking for a cheaper solution to buying the OEM cartridges, your best bet is to buy a "compatible" one. ie. it wasnt made by the same people who make your printer.
sterdeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jan 2005, 05:52 AM   #11
DrStrabismus
The "e" in e-mail

I've refilled the cartridges for my old Canon BJ-200 and always found it straightforward and reliable.
DrStrabismus is offline   Reply With Quote