EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 3 May 2002, 06:55 AM   #1
ppetru

Where are the chatty updates?

I (like probably many others here) am a heavy IMAP user and don't check the web interface too often. However, it seems that all announcements are made at the bottom of the webmail screens and, even worse, some of them only on the front page (which you'll never see if you have the persistent login).

Could the updates be sent through email to members who opted for it in the prefs screen? I never got anything ever since I set the "chatty" option...
ppetru is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 3 May 2002, 08:06 AM   #2
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

Sorry Ppetru--we haven't written our "Chatty" communication scripts yet, and haven't had a free moment to write a message. We'll get to it as soon as we can.
Jeremy Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2002, 09:21 AM   #3
elvey
The "e" in e-mail

I thought I was not the only one who wanted to be able to see the home page without logging out!
elvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2002, 03:42 PM   #4
Ninniku

Me too ... I always forget to read the latest news until right after I've already clicked on my POP links!
Ninniku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2002, 04:19 PM   #5
esTester
Cornerstone of the Community

I go read the news every once and a while, but I usually just use IMAP. Is it possible for you guys to put important news in a banner in the IMAP client. This would be sort of like MS putting the MSN banner in OE when you use it to access HTTP Hotmail. That would be cool, but it would have to be an optional thing for everyone to be happy. Is something like that even possible?
esTester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2002, 06:00 PM   #6
ehabshoubaki

Probably for something like this to happen to need to have total control over the client . Microsoft owns OE
ehabshoubaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2002, 06:03 PM   #7
ehabshoubaki

It just occured to me ......it would be soooo cool to have a client tailored for FM ....... maybe volunteers with the proper knowHOw can do it .......Jeremy and Rob are just toooooo busy as it is
Old 5 May 2002, 12:21 AM   #8
ehabshoubaki

seems no one is interested in a FM tailored client .... through which you can change options without opening a browser ..... I don't know It's worth a try .........

Mind you I don't mean client side apps , just a client that works strictly with FM , a sort of free giveaway ..... plus it's better if it was on the light side .
Old 5 May 2002, 12:42 AM   #9
Tango

While I like the idea of changing options through an email client, I wouldn't want a client that works only for Fastmail...how am I going to check my 12 other IMAP accounts and 6 other POP accounts?
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2002, 12:46 AM   #10
ehabshoubaki

how do you remeber all those account names ...or ......gasp.....their passwords
Old 5 May 2002, 12:56 AM   #11
Tango

I'm always on the lookout for free IMAP email services (and POP ones with large storage quotas) and I sign up for every one I find...they're checked automatically by OE to keep them alive...I turn to them when / if my current one dies...And I'm lucky to have a reliable forwarding service which allows me to always keep the same email address...
Old 5 May 2002, 01:04 AM   #12
ehabshoubaki

Cool ....... personally I doubt I'll ever need more than 2 or 3 accounts .....

But it's really important to get my own domain soon .
Old 5 May 2002, 01:09 AM   #13
mvpittman
Essential Contributor

Jeremy was talking about putting up a shared folder with info about server outages, service updates, etc. I don't think it would be that hard to access with an e-mail client that supported IMAP.

- Marland
mvpittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2002, 01:19 AM   #14
sterdeus

Tango, I thik you can get rid of half of those accounts because Fastmail will never die
sterdeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2002, 01:37 AM   #15
Tango

I've been thinking about posting this under the "lifetime accounts" thread...but I'll just do it here

Fastmail is the first email service I ever paid for and while I really hope it will last forever, I still get some sleepless nights...what if, hypothetically speaking, something...ahem...unfortunate happens to Jeremy and Rob? (touch wood! touch wood!) They are the company after all...

I guess there are always variables in life one can never foresee...I just like to be prepared

(My sincerest apologies to Jeremy and Rob; may you both live long and healthy lives!!)