EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 16 Apr 2015, 11:55 PM   #1
Annonymous

Question Question Regarding Facebook

I'm hoping that someone here may have suggestions on how to remedy the problem I've been experiencing in accessing the 'Recent Posts By Others' option on Facebook pages. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The 'Posts By Others' link on Facebook is no longer showing on any community pages? I only see 'Post on Timeline', which is all well & good, however I am unable to see anyone elses posts, other than those of the owner of the specific page. I can only view mine by going into my Activity Log, & clicking the links to my posts on various Facebook pages. I'm wondering if anyone else is having the same experience? If anyone knows a way to see 'Recent Posts By Others', please let me know thanks.

Last edited by Annonymous : 17 Apr 2015 at 12:01 AM.
Annonymous is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 27 Jun 2015, 01:22 AM   #2
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
Is this problem still accurant or has it been resolved?

I don't see any issue in my account, I get notified whenever someone replies to a post I made in a group or on a page, or even when someone replied to a post I also replied to. It may be in your settings somewhere? If you "like" a page, are you sure you have set it to "follow" the page as well?

PS: also got a FB question: posts added to one's timeline vanish automatically after X months/years, or do they remain there forever, even very old posts on the timeline dating from a few years ago?
Some of my "friends" put about 5 or 6 status updates per day (that's more than I usually do in 2 weeks) so I wonder how a timeline can cope with that ; unless the older posts disappear after a while automatically, or once a certain maximum limit of number of posts has been reached and the oldest "fall off" the timeline automatically?
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jul 2015, 09:18 PM   #3
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Woman, 30, changes name to log in to Facebook

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...-Facebook.html

Quote:

I know I've been a complete moron
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jul 2015, 03:25 AM   #4
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

I have a FB related question too. If you sign in from your Phone (smartphone or iPhone) , does FB install some cookie or spying software on your Phone to track your whereabouts, or is it as simple as signing out again?

And if you would sign in from your Phone, and then transfer your photos and notes from your mobile to your desktop's hard drive, does this also transfer a spying software from FB to view what content is on your hard drive and follow your every move?

Or am I a bit over-anxious here?
Old 19 Jul 2015, 04:01 AM   #5
mister
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
I have a FB related question too. If you sign in from your Phone (smartphone or iPhone) , does FB install some cookie or spying software on your Phone to track your whereabouts, or is it as simple as signing out again?

And if you would sign in from your Phone, and then transfer your photos and notes from your mobile to your desktop's hard drive, does this also transfer a spying software from FB to view what content is on your hard drive and follow your every move?

Or am I a bit over-anxious here?
From what I'm told,if you're interested in privacy don't use FB or Google.
mister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jul 2015, 04:38 AM   #6
chuckster

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister View Post
From what I'm told,if you're interested in privacy don't use FB or Google.
nowadays nobody believe those lines....as they are household names. like it or not, we are living in google and facebook world.
chuckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jul 2015, 06:12 AM   #7
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster View Post
nowadays nobody believe those lines....as they are household names. like it or not, we are living in google and facebook world.
Regardless of that, what mister is saying is 100% correct
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jul 2015, 09:40 PM   #8
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Is there a way to check on my mobile if there has ever been a login from Facebook?

Imagine it is, does Facebook put a file on the Phone tracing whereabouts? And if I'd then transfer (copy-paste) photos from my Phone to my computer, would a FB file scanning my hard drive content be transfered to my computers hard drive too?

Or am I being too anxious now?
Old 19 Jul 2015, 09:47 PM   #9
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Regardless of that, what mister is saying is 100% correct
True. I hate it that people almost force you onto Facebook. By that I mean, if you meet an interesting person you want to stay in touch with, and you ask for an email address, often they'll reply "no, just add us on Facebook". Events are often announced only on FB, without bothering to create a website about the event other than a Facebook page announcing the dates.
I really dislike that because it's almost like people force you to use it if you don't want to miss out on a lot of news, announcements and events.

As I'm a performing artist, I can say half of the gigs I've done were at events I discovered through Facebook because they simply hardly or not announce the events through other webpages or newsletters. And fellow performers I meet during those events don't bother to exchange email addresses anymore (exceptions exist) ; they just add you on Facebook.
That way it's almost like "you don't use Facebook? Then you miss out on a lot of performance opportunities".

I really dislike that. It goes as far as some people claiming an artist cannot be succesful anymore without social media. Argh.

I would be very happy to pay for a FB-esque networking site that doesn't do data mining for commercial purposes ; I'd rather have that than a free but unethical network. Idem dito as far as Twitter goes (which I am not using as yet ; I am not sure about them but heard they're no better than FB)

Where's the good old days of simple emails and personal websites? Now it's all so monocultural : everyone has similarly looking FB profiles, rather than being creative while building their own websites.
I accept to use FB to find out about artistic events ; but I have not put any of my creations on FB yet. I will still refer people to my own website when they want to find out more, I may announce a gig on FB but there it stops. For more details, there's a personal website...

Also, if we really need social networks, I did like Myspace more, but it seems 80% of their users ditched Myspace and moved to FB (as opposed to keeping an active updated account on both)
Old 20 Jul 2015, 01:57 AM   #10
jl66
Essential Contributor

If you really need to use Facebook in your mobile phone and not being tracked, the first thing to do is avoiding to install the app from Facebook.
Use a good browser with your android phone, and with a VPN, or Orbot+Orweb (or both: VPN + Orbot + Orweb) with javascript disabled (use https://m.facebook.com).
You can also use Firefox with Ghostery plugin (yes, it exists in Firefox mobile with android) and the plugin to allow using Tor: "Proxy Mobile".
This way you will not allow Facebook to track you and the Facebook app will not be in your mobile phone, so you will not give this app all the permissions it needs to track you.
If you really need to avoid Google too then itīs a different story...
jl66 is offline   Reply With Quote