EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Runbox Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Runbox Forum Everything related to Runbox should go here: suggestions, comments, complaints, questions, technical issues, etc.

Old 1 Jul 2004, 06:37 PM   #1
voxson

a really simple-to-do feature that i'd appreciate a lot: translated last login IP's

Most people ask for features that are useful (and i'd want them, too) but I understand they might take a lot of time to implement! What I'd like is a lot simpler and I believe really easy to do. It's about the "Last Login" message. I would so appreciate it if the IP was automatically translated into a hostname, appearing something like that:

Last login 01.07.2004 12:21:08 from somedialupusee.aol.com

instead of just dusplaying the IP address. This would be useful because it gives you an immediate and easy overview on where the last login was from, thus increasing the security of your account. For people who connect from many different networks or from ISP's with a wide range of IP's it's really hard to keep track of the different IP's and immediately know it was you who last logged in to the account, unless you manually translate the IP's with other software which of course you can't do all the time!

I think the feature would be useful and probably only needing a few lines of code and a minor load to the network but I think it's definitely worth it!

Thank you
voxson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 1 Jul 2004, 09:46 PM   #2
jbs
Essential Contributor

I agree with this post! That's a great idea. I have to admit that right now I rarely make use of that feature, but would definitely do so if it were a more easily recognizable piece of data.

Great idea voxson!

--Jason
jbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Jul 2004, 12:14 AM   #3
simonpnewman

Yeah I agree too, it's only useful if its more easily interpretted
simonpnewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Jul 2004, 09:41 AM   #4
voxson

I'm glad I'm not the only one who would find such a thing useful!

We all appreciate all the new features we see on Runbox lately and we thank you for that! However, security is always something you can never do too much about and this little new feature would give a better sense of that!

Thank you
Old 3 Jul 2004, 03:05 PM   #5
suzi

I'll second that. It would be a nice feature. Especially for those that use several different connections and need to keep track.

For example I'm on dial up presently and my IP address changes each time I log on. I also use WAP quite often and check my account when I'm at another computer if I don't have access to my own.

IP addresses mean very little to someone like me...
suzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Jul 2004, 05:03 PM   #6
lifanus

Agree

Li
lifanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Jul 2004, 09:19 PM   #7
candlelights

I apperciate What Runbox is doing also for us. Also if they could consider this it would be very appericative by myself also. THANK YOU Runbox
candlelights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Sep 2004, 04:47 AM   #8
voxson

Does anybody know if this is on the to-do list of the runbox team? The special thing about this feature is that it requires minimum changes and it's easy to implement, as long as the runbox team actually wants to do that.
Old 17 Sep 2004, 04:56 AM   #9
Liz
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Not on any to-do lists at present I think, but that can be changed, of course.. However, interpreting some IP's (proxies in particular) isn't always as easy as you may think. So you may not always get a nice and tidy ISP up there.

Liz
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Sep 2004, 07:07 PM   #10
tore

Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
However, interpreting some IP's (proxies in particular) isn't always as easy as you may think. So you may not always get a nice and tidy ISP up there.
I don't think the request was to translate the IP into the spoken ISP name, but merely printing the IP's DNS PTR resource record, if any. For instance, my workstation has the IP 80.232.36.157, and the PTR is echo.linpro.no. Usually you can deduce the ISP or whatever from any given hostname anyway.

I'll wager very little code would be required to implement this.

Tore
tore is offline   Reply With Quote