EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > About this site...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

About this site... Do you have any thoughts, suggestions or comments about this site? Post them here...

Old 25 Sep 2002, 06:26 PM   #1
Edwin
 Administrator 

New "Online Shopping Links" forum... feedback?

I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on the new Online Shopping Links forum (please be sure to read the Welcome message in that forum!)
Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 25 Sep 2002, 08:15 PM   #2
Gankaku

Edwin this is a nice forum.

I especially like the FAQ's - those questions keep coming up from time to time...

edit: duh never mind my last comment (which I just cut) i answered my question myself.
Gankaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Sep 2002, 08:18 PM   #3
Edwin
 Administrator 

Quote:
Originally posted by Gankaku
I suppose you'll only list affiliate types of links in here where you can make a small cut from purchases?
Yes, and only from seemingly largish/respectable companies that have been around for a while (though I can't obviously vouch personally for the integrity of each one, since I haven't used them all)

Ultimately, there may be about 15-20 threads covering perhaps 50 companies.

Of course, wherever possible, I will continue to add little notes and comments to help make the information more useful and relevant.
Old 26 Sep 2002, 12:27 AM   #4
sillyshorty

Smile Uhh.oooh.... I like this :)

I like your shopping forum. I think I'm gonna be lost for a while in your magazine section. Good thing you don't have a section that sells smiley face items. I'd really be in trouble then!!! Good idea though..
sillyshorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Sep 2002, 05:49 AM   #5
FromLine
The "e" in e-mail

I don't like it because:

1) I cannot reply or post comments, suggestions, feedback, or anything else in the forum.

For example, in computer hardware, I wanted to mention a service called pricescan.com as a tool for searching for the various options and a non-bias source called hostindex.com for web hosting. There's no way to rebutt, comment, or critisize, or provide community alternatives.

Also, in addition to not being able to reply to new threads, we can't start our own new threads either.

2) It's right smack in the middle of the both the "Off-topic" and "About this Site" threads which is somewhat invasive. It's appears to be an advertisement forum for which the adminstrator has complete control which creates a perception of bias.
FromLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Sep 2002, 06:14 AM   #6
Edwin
 Administrator 

Quote:
Originally posted by fb19
2) It's right smack in the middle of the both the "Off-topic" and "About this Site" threads which is somewhat invasive. It's appears to be an advertisement forum for which the adminstrator has complete control which creates a perception of bias.
I'm sorry if it wasn't clear from the Welcome message, but it is meant to be an advertising forum where I have complete control!

The intention was not to create a general "talk about shopping on the Web" forum, but to have a way for people who were about to shop anyway to support the running of these Forums a little by (solely by choice) clicking on the links in that Forum in order to go to the stores they planned to use.

My logic was that it beats adding more intrusive forms of advertising such as banners, popups etc. by a mile and it just might help pay the server bills

To reiterate what I posted in the Welcome message to the "Online Shopping Links" forum: there's absolutely no obligation for anyone to use it - but it would be great if people chose to do so!
Old 26 Sep 2002, 06:22 AM   #7
Boom
Essential Contributor

Quote:
I cannot reply or post comments, suggestions, feedback, or anything else in the forum.
Well maybe it's not needed to do ,so all post are advertisments there. I used to did research on those refferal (advertising) programs for my site. They didn't have that much profits. Actualy the minimal check Amount was always very high. But maybe with this site it might bring in more profits. After all I banned the ads on my site to a special section.

It might be intresting for Edwin to participate in a refferal system(e.g. you get 10% of the earnings of the persons in your downline)

Well I'm not running such a system or advertising any
If you ever start to have banners make them 'Eye-friendly'
I hope my post isn't off-topic
Boom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Sep 2002, 06:32 AM   #8
Edwin
 Administrator 

There is a lot more information about ads and this Forum in this earlier thread, by the way...

... and here's the thread that gave me the original idea for the Online Shopping Forum (thanks oOo for suggesting it and the other posters who leapt on the idea as being a useful one)
Old 27 Sep 2002, 03:49 AM   #9

Cool Online Shopping

Edwin, thanks for the links. Amazon.com is a good company to deal with as they've got a HUGE selection of just about everything.

Another good company is www.jandr.com. JandR specializes in consumer electronics and they cell everythring from CD players to personal computers. I found them to be fast, reliable and responsive to customer inquiries. A good outfit to deal with.

Crutchfield electronics (www.crutchfield.com) is also worth a look. Although their selection is a bit limited, the quality of their products is first-rate and their customer service is outstanding. Highly recommended.

For more information about these and other companies, check out the Bizrate web site (www.bizrate.com) and see what others are saying.
Old 27 Sep 2002, 04:40 AM   #10
Dave P in StLouis
Cornerstone of the Community

Smile Perhaps . . .

Quote:
Also, in addition to not being able to reply to new threads, we can't start our own new threads either.
Or perhaps, with Edwin's indulgence, we can all start a thread where we *can* reply, post about vendors we recommend/don't recommend, etc. In fact, Quasar has done pretty much the same thing on *this* thread already.

Best wishes,
David P.
Dave P in StLouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Sep 2002, 06:23 AM   #11
FromLine
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by Edwin
it is meant to be an advertising forum where I have complete control!
That statement above happens to be one of the most significant problems associated with EMD and which draws the most dissatisfaction with many users.

There are legitimate concerns about the fairness and equity of this public forum in addition to concerns of bias, not only with recommendations and treatment of email services in particular, but also the rules that tend to cross sensitive boundaries of sharing of information.

One example here in particular in the online shopping thread in particular is the recommendations of web-hosting services under $10. We all have a fair amount of internet experience her not to simply make a purchase based solely on a non-rebuttble posting. In fact, most of of would invest some time in research, in particular with non-bias hosting index reviews and perhaps the Webhostingtalk forum.

One thing that you should take careful note and attention to is that while this is a popular board, it seems, unless I'm mistaken, that this is the most popular and perhaps the most dominant voice to talk to others about email services. I have personally gained from this forum in many aspects including meeting and communicating with other forum members both locally and by other means.

Yes, there are moderators, administrators, rules, and guidelines in all forums. However, whenever there's an internet community which may result from the dominance or popularity, the community - within reason - should have the freedom and flexibility to communicate with others freely without being happered by bias, unjustified edits, the locking of threads (usually after the last word is typed).

I'm not alone when I voice that constantly hearing the words, "My forum" , "My rules" , "I'm in control" , "If you don't like it, don't post here" really tends to undermine the credibility of certain aspects in any online community. At one point, I asked you take please take a close look at the general philsophy of craigslist.org for a reason.

Also, I should not have to worry about having my statements blocked, censored, edited, or have the thread locked because the administrator might become personally offended while the actions are quite possibly in-line with the overall interest. Rules and guidelines should be implemented based on community interest rather than command and control. Based on the fact that there is not another email forum as widely known as this one for assistance in resolving matters - which has been beneficial to myself and many others - seeking alternatives locations is not necessarily the best solution. This might be the only popular internet forum that does not seem to community feedback at heart. One could learn a lot from the way this feedback forum is adhered to where the "community" comes first.

As long as I've been a member of this forum, I feel it's important to note some of the concerns of how there are some aspects of biasness that are not in the best interest of the community as a hole and there are others who strongly agree, yet are in constant fear of discussing or voiceing their opinions.
FromLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Sep 2002, 06:57 AM   #12
Edwin
 Administrator 

fb19, the answer is astonishingly simple!

Please DON'T visit the Online Shopping Forum.

It's nothing but a load of ads and you won't like it.

So just pretend it isn't there and you will never be bothered with the links (not recommendations, just links) that are in there.

Problem solved.

Oh, and if you'd like to actually talk about shopping online (rather than help out a bit because it might just possibly be a "nice" thing to do) then please make use of any of the shopping comparison sites and helpful forums dedicated to that purpose.

As you say so accurately, EmailDiscussions.com is about email.

I believe that there is a great deal of freedom accorded people who stick to the few simple rules in all the Forums other than the OSF (which, as I've said is an ad and somewhere I encourage you not to visit) - I have worked hard to make things work that way, and many others have too. But if you don't like the "restrictions" ED imposes on you, again feel free to leave.

If you can't understand why your post is so totally out of line, I'm not here to argue it. Just leave. But don't make the "freedom of speech" argument again or I will open the door for you myself.

To everyone else reading this thread: yeah, you've finally found out I'm human and fallible just like everyone else. Push enough buttons, and at some point I finally will get mad! Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible
Old 27 Sep 2002, 09:39 AM   #13
psalzer

Well, anyway..I wish you luck with the online shopping links, Edwin. I don't do a lot of shopping online, except for internet related services, but I will make a point of checking the links before making any purchases in the future.
psalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Sep 2002, 04:06 AM   #14
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
That statement above happens to be one of the most significant problems associated with EMD and which draws the most dissatisfaction with many users.
Please don't pretend that you can speak on behalf of "many users". You don't--you speak only for yourself.

Edwin has gone out of his way to provide a useful forum here, and so far he's got nothing in return (well, IIRC he mentioned he got $0.25 in his first few days of running text ads...). Personally, I hope any attempts at getting some returns from all his hard work pay off--it's good for all of us because it ensures these forums continue to operate.
Jeremy Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Sep 2002, 04:07 AM   #15
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

Edwin, the Amazon.com link takes me to a 'page not found' page...
Jeremy Howard is offline   Reply With Quote