EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 21 Dec 2019, 09:12 PM   #1
dbcooper_55

See all email not assigned a folder

Is this possible? I am in process of migrating from gmail, finally... I have already moved all my email, deleted it on gmail and forwarded everything to my new FM account.

While I was looking, it looks like I have email that is in the archive folder that is not assigned to an actual folder. Is there anyway I can search/sort for email like that? I would like to review it and delete/assign if necessary.

Cheers
dbcooper_55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 22 Dec 2019, 12:30 AM   #2
lane
Cornerstone of the Community

Try the following search:
has:nouserlabels -in:sent -in:inbox
lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Dec 2019, 12:34 AM   #3
dbcooper_55

Quote:
Originally Posted by lane View Post
Try the following search:
has:nouserlabels -in:sent -in:inbox
I get no results. I also tried just has:nouserlabels
I am searching within FM

thanks
Old 22 Dec 2019, 12:39 AM   #4
lane

I meant that you should search in your gmail account, not Fastmail, if I understand you correctly. I thought you meant that you found messages in Gmail that were not associated with a Gmail folder (i.e., label, but would appear to IMAP as a folder).
Old 22 Dec 2019, 12:48 AM   #5
dbcooper_55

Quote:
I meant that you should search in your gmail account, not Fastmail, if I understand you correctly. I thought you meant that you found messages in Gmail that were not associated with a Gmail folder (i.e., label, but would appear to IMAP as a folder).
Sorry, I could have explained it badly. I already migrated all email from Gmail to FM. Majority of things are in the folders (labels) however I was looking at my archive folder on FM and there are things in there that do not have a folder associated to them. It most likely was on Gmail as well I am just trying to figure out how find emails on FM that are not in any folders.
Old 22 Dec 2019, 05:17 AM   #6
lane

Here is what I think may have happened.

First of all, the "Archive" folder on Fastmail *IS* a folder. It is not like on Gmail, where "All Mail" lists all emails except those in Spam or Trash. In Gmail, only one copy of an email exists, but it may have zero or more "labels". If it has zero labels, it will appear in "All Mail" but nowhere else. You can see this effect by going to an email which has more than one label. If you mark it unread, for example, it will magically appear unread in every label.

Fastmail is different. The folders are true folders. If you copy an email into multiple folders, each one is a separate copy (and takes up separate space allocation). If you mark one copy unread, the other copies are unchanged. If you delete attachments from one copy, the other copies still have them.

So if you brought every "folder" (really label, but viewed as folders by IMAP) to Fastmail from Gmail, either manually using a desktop program like Thunderbird, or (better) using the facility Fastmail supplies where Fastmail itself uses IMAP to copy everything over, then what you get is multiple copies of every email which has a label, at least one of which is in "All Mail". These are separate copies, now really separate identical emails. You can delete one without affecting the others. You also double the storage quota used.

I am not sure how to get around your problem as I can't see how to do a search that would find emails in one folder (you called it Archive but maybe originally it was All Mail) that don't have an identical copy in another folder. This is best done on Gmail. If I were doing it, I would probably copy all the folders back to their original Gmail labels on a Gmail account (probably the one you cleaned out), run the suggested search on Gmail and put the results in a new folder. Then clean out Fastmail (except for new messages which only came to Fastmail) and re-import. Then ignore or delete the All Mail folder imported (or better, get into the Gmail settings and make it invisible to IMAP).
Old 22 Dec 2019, 05:21 AM   #7
dbcooper_55

Quote:
Here is what I think may have happened.

First of all, the "Archive" folder on Fastmail *IS* a folder. It is not like on Gmail, where "All Mail" lists all emails except those in Spam or Trash. In Gmail, only one copy of an email exists, but it may have zero or more "labels". If it has zero labels, it will appear in "All Mail" but nowhere else. You can see this effect by going to an email which has more than one label. If you mark it unread, for example, it will magically appear unread in every label.

Fastmail is different. The folders are true folders. If you copy an email into multiple folders, each one is a separate copy (and takes up separate space allocation). If you mark one copy unread, the other copies are unchanged. If you delete attachments from one copy, the other copies still have them.

So if you brought every "folder" (really label, but viewed as folders by IMAP) to Fastmail from Gmail, either manually using a desktop program like Thunderbird, or (better) using the facility Fastmail supplies where Fastmail itself uses IMAP to copy everything over, then what you get is multiple copies of every email which has a label, at least one of which is in "All Mail". These are separate copies, now really separate identical emails. You can delete one without affecting the others. You also double the storage quota used.

I am not sure how to get around your problem as I can't see how to do a search that would find emails in one folder (you called it Archive but maybe originally it was All Mail) that don't have an identical copy in another folder. This is best done on Gmail. If I were doing it, I would probably copy all the folders back to their original Gmail labels on a Gmail account (probably the one you cleaned out), run the suggested search on Gmail and put the results in a new folder. Then clean out Fastmail (except for new messages which only came to Fastmail) and re-import. Then ignore or delete the All Mail folder imported (or better, get into the Gmail settings and make it invisible to IMAP).
whoa.. awesome explanation and makes total sense. it's not end of world since I am not even using 4gb out of the 25 I have. As I been playing around I have noticed the multiple copies and you are spot on with the dupe. I noticed after the migration that I was using about 4.6gb of email on FM but on gmail only 3.5.

I thought gmail didn't know how to count tbh..

thank you for that great explanation
Old 25 Dec 2019, 08:57 AM   #8
SideshowBob
Essential Contributor

Quote:
So if you brought every "folder" (really label, but viewed as folders by IMAP) to Fastmail...These are separate copies, now really separate identical emails. You can delete one without affecting the others.
You can from a client, but AFAIK if you have "Group messages with their replies" set in preferences then deletion from webmail is global.
SideshowBob is offline   Reply With Quote