EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 28 Dec 2011, 09:19 PM   #91
B4its2L8
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilj View Post
If you archive conversations by pressing the archive button (or pressing y on the keyboard) they are marked read automatically as well. I'll have a think about whether we want to do the same for Delete.
Thanks for considering this, Neil.

Frankly, I don't know why anyone would not want any web client to function that way. It would seem to be the most logical default option (i.e. mark read automatically on delete). If someone knows he/she doesn't even want to open an email in their inbox (because it's suspicious, because it's a duplicate, because they already know what's in it, etc.), they surely don't want to be reminded of the fact that they deleted it without reading it by having the trash folder display any unread content (as if it's trying to get their attention). Too distracting.
B4its2L8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Dec 2011, 09:53 PM   #92
B4its2L8
Master of the @

Stuck "Sending" through External Account

I'm using FF6 and tried sending a message from the new interface through my Live.com account. The page got stuck showing "sending..." After a couple of minutes I did verify that the sending was successful by opening two additional tabs and checking the Live account and FM (to which it was BCC'd) respectively. Meanwhile, back on the first tab (with the compose screen) I still had the "sending..." message.

Update: It turns out the message that was sending... sending... sending.... is still in my drafts folder, despite being successfully sent through the Live.com servers.

Last edited by B4its2L8 : 29 Dec 2011 at 12:51 AM.
Old 28 Dec 2011, 10:00 PM   #93
DarioMor
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4its2L8 View Post
Thanks for considering this, Neil.

Frankly, I don't know why anyone would not want any web client to function that way. It would seem to be the most logical default option (i.e. mark read automatically on delete). If someone knows he/she doesn't even want to open an email in their inbox (because it's suspicious, because it's a duplicate, because they already know what's in it, etc.), they surely don't want to be reminded of the fact that they deleted it without reading it by having the trash folder display any unread content (as if it's trying to get their attention). Too distracting.
This is not the only way to think about the question.

I have a completely different way to see it.

1st, if you will not see what is in your thrash, does not metter if it is flagged as read or unread. It is not important at all.

If all deleted email is set automatically as read, as a default to all users, then all of us will lose a information wich can be useful to some people: "this message was not open". I think it has some value and I want to keep this behaviour.

Some message can go to trash by mistake, or by a filter/rule. And if I go to trash to search something, it may be useful to know wich messages ware not open by my personal/human action.

In a phrase: I disagree B4its2L8 in this statement, and don't want Fastmail changes this behaviour.
DarioMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Dec 2011, 10:02 PM   #94
Mystakill
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivil View Post
Absolutly !!! the "delete and next" function was great
That was the first thing I noticed was missing when I logged in after being offline for the past week. I used those regularly in the the old "new" interface. Are there equivalents, because I don't like either having to delete a message and then having to figure out where I left off, or reading through all of my messages and then figuring out which ones to delete after the fact.

This is much less productive than delete & next/previous.

[EDIT - After using the "new new" interface for several hours, here's a quick list of issues I've run into already]
  • Missing delete & next/previous (also, checkboxes next to messages headers would allow for deletion of specific messages within a thread)
  • Folder message counts are not hidden within the HTML, and thus, cannot be turned back on through a custom stylesheet
  • Custom stylesheets do not currently work on the main page, nor within the message page, which means that I'm back to using Stylish to fix things
  • Actions menu is missing
  • Mark read/unread and pinned/unpinned should be two separate toggle buttons, *not* a dropdown menu
  • Message sizes are not displayed, are not in HTML source, and thus cannot be displayed with a custom stylesheet
  • No bar/pie graph for mailbox usage, thus the at-a-glance visual indicator that we're used to is gone
  • Bandwith usage is no longer displayed (if Opera is planning on doing away with bandwidth limits, then this is a moot point)
  • Custom personality field is missing on compose; this is essential for those of us with multiple domains and/or catchall addresses
  • Replies to custom personalities is not working
  • Images from known-senders are not displayed
  • Not all hotkeys work (e.g. display [i]mages on message page)
  • Message details/header info are not displayed until clicked
  • Missing move to folder buttons [<<]
  • Most CSS names are not at all descriptive.
  • CSS names containing "left" and "right" should never be used because those can be moved or rearranged at any time
  • On the compose page, there's no way to specify signature, where/whether to save a copy, set the priority, specify encoding, or request a read receipt
  • The compose message box is not resizable, and is fairly narrow on a 1920x1200 display.
  • There is no way to attach files to a message from FM storage

Last edited by Mystakill : 29 Dec 2011 at 03:02 AM. Reason: Added additional issues after using new interface for several hours
Mystakill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Dec 2011, 10:08 PM   #95
B4its2L8
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarioMor View Post
This is not the only way to think about the question.

I have a completely different way to see it.
Point taken. I do understand the other point of view.

To be honest, I'm not so much asking for FM to change the present default behavior for the interface (despite my comment above). Instead, at this time I'm simply asking if it would be possible for them to include in Options the ability to change it to be my default if I wish.
Old 29 Dec 2011, 01:06 AM   #96
Pfolson
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarioMor View Post
Some message can go to trash by mistake, or by a filter/rule. And if I go to trash to search something, it may be useful to know wich messages ware not open by my personal/human action.
This is a really good point, however, I personally get very annoyed having my Trash folder telling me it has unread messages, especially since I use CSS to have folders with unread messages show up in red. It makes it all the more glaring and irritating.

So I guess I agree with B4its2L8. Making it an option would be the best for all users.

Paul

Last edited by Pfolson : 29 Dec 2011 at 02:46 AM.
Pfolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Dec 2011, 09:06 AM   #97
neilj
Cornerstone of the Community

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystakill View Post
Are there equivalents, because I don't like either having to delete a message and then having to figure out where I left off, or reading through all of my messages and then figuring out which ones to delete after the fact.
If you hit enter on the keyboard after deletion it will open the next message. So hit 'd enter' for fast delete and next. Or 'y enter' for archive and next.
neilj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Dec 2011, 01:54 PM   #98
alirezanasibi

Wow! I love "push" feature and nice interface. Thank you!
alirezanasibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Dec 2011, 01:59 PM   #99
alirezanasibi

"Delete from message" and " Save to file storage" features are missing there!!
Old 29 Dec 2011, 02:12 PM   #100
alirezanasibi

One question: How to disable threaded view?
Old 29 Dec 2011, 09:02 PM   #101
B4its2L8
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by alirezanasibi View Post
One question: How to disable threaded view?
You can't. Whether you will be able to in the future is an open question at the moment.
Old 29 Dec 2011, 11:56 PM   #102
odedp
Master of the @

Quote:
You can't. .
That's very bad I do hope there will be an option to disable threaded view.
odedp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Dec 2011, 01:14 AM   #103
Shelded

Quote:
You can't. Whether you will be able to in the future is an open question at the moment.
I don't think it's an open question. The Opera rep told us months ago that it would be an option to disable it. I rely on that statement.
Shelded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Dec 2011, 01:21 AM   #104
B4its2L8
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelded View Post
I don't think it's an open question. The Opera rep told us months ago that it would be an option to disable it. I rely on that statement.
Ah ! I must have missed that. Thanks for the correction !
Old 30 Dec 2011, 03:10 AM   #105
besidec

delete and v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystakill View Post
T
This is much less productive than delete & next/previous.
I agree with this, the delete & next/previous is something FM have had over GMail for some time.
besidec is offline   Reply With Quote