EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 20 Jun 2014, 11:50 AM   #286
brong
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Quote:
Originally Posted by FortyTwo View Post
I had been having difficulties with syncing between my android calendar app and FM calendar. No-one else had similar problems on the forum, so I changed both the app and the widget I was using on my phone, and then everything seemed good, until a few days ago. Early this week, I realised events weren't syncing either way between my phone and FM. I did everything - cleared cache, uninstalled and reinstalled apps, to no avail. What had changed? Then I realised I'd been using my Vodafone SIM (in my dual sim phone) for data since earlier in the week. I changed the "preferred SIM for data" back to Telstra and tried the sync again - and it worked fine. Reverted back to VF and the sync failed (although I got no message - it appears to sync in calDAV app but it seems "too quick" to actually be syncing).
The VF SIM shows "H" when data use is on and the SIM is set to use high-speed data (not GSM), so it isn't failing because the network connection is too slow. Anyway, my telstra sim syncs fine on Edge/GSM as well as 3G.

So, I post this for info only. Maybe it's something weird just with my phone settings, or is Vodafone's network is actually preventing calDAV from properly syncing? Does anyone else use Vodafone here in Melbourne, Australia? I couldn't find anything in an internet search so it's most likely isolated to me.

Loving the FM calendar
Wow - yeah. I switched from Think Mobile's Vodaphone reselling to Telstra to get better reliability. Mostly pretty happy. Telstra would be great if they didn't feel the need to send me a questionaire every 30 seconds during the signup process.

"how are you enjoying your new service"?

Everything is great except for your needy bloody continual questions about how I'm enjoying it thanks.

*sigh*

But I'm drifting off topic. As I said, no clue why Vodaphone is failing. The only thing I can think of it blocking traffic - nothing else makes sense. I assume you can get to the web interface fine via Vodaphone?
brong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jun 2014, 12:07 PM   #287
FortyTwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by brong View Post
I assume you can get to the web interface fine via Vodaphone?
No problems at all using the web interface over Vodafone or Telstra. It's just that the calDAV android app won't sync if I'm using the Vodafone SIM for data. As soon as I switch the SIM to Telstra, the sync works great. I did read on Whirlpool that Vodafone use some sort of proxy system for data but those threads seem to date back to 2012 and 2013.

PS Yeah, Telstra love their marketing surveys a little too much.
FortyTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jun 2014, 12:29 PM   #288
brong
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Quote:
Originally Posted by FortyTwo View Post
No problems at all using the web interface over Vodafone or Telstra. It's just that the calDAV android app won't sync if I'm using the Vodafone SIM for data. As soon as I switch the SIM to Telstra, the sync works great. I did read on Whirlpool that Vodafone use some sort of proxy system for data but those threads seem to date back to 2012 and 2013.

PS Yeah, Telstra love their marketing surveys a little too much.
I used to work in medical data management. The good clients were the ones who understood just how much imposition it is to ask extra questions, and figured out exactly what they actually needed to know and how to ask it so that busy doctors could answer correctly without too much effort.

The bad ones insisted on time entry forms with separate AM/PM checkboxes for two different times, when all they cared about was the difference between them. Actually, all they REALLY cared about was whether a test was done within 3 hours of admission. The doctors were all working in 24 hour time, so they had to mentally translate to fill in the form...

We wound up with an unfiltered average of minus 7 hours between admission and the test being done due to incomplete and faulty data.

(and now I'm really off topic!)
Old 20 Jun 2014, 04:02 PM   #289
FortyTwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by brong View Post
I used to work in medical data management. The good clients were the ones who understood just how much imposition it is to ask extra questions.......
The bad ones insisted on time entry forms with separate AM/PM checkboxes for two different times, when all they cared about was the difference between them........
We wound up with an unfiltered average of minus 7 hours between admission and the test being done due to incomplete and faulty data.

(and now I'm really off topic!)
Off-topic response for Brong:
Life could always be worse - eg imagine Telstra's marketing department being in charge of data management for the entire hospital system, whilst using Vodafone's infrastructure for cloud storage (add in some sync issues)!

I'm just glad my Fastmail calendar is happily synced!!
FortyTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jun 2014, 10:51 AM   #290
farmer512

Just exported my calendar in ical format from outlook. Imported into fastmail calendar. All events had title Busy (availability) as title. Started going through them to delete and most of them I get a server error when I try and delete.

Curious, if I only want web access to the calendar and don't plan to sync w/ my phone should manually adding entries to the calendar be reliable at this point?

Thanks
farmer512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jun 2014, 12:11 PM   #291
brong
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmer512 View Post
Just exported my calendar in ical format from outlook. Imported into fastmail calendar. All events had title Busy (availability) as title. Started going through them to delete and most of them I get a server error when I try and delete.

Curious, if I only want web access to the calendar and don't plan to sync w/ my phone should manually adding entries to the calendar be reliable at this point?

Thanks
Manually adding will be fine. Can you PM me your username and I'll have a look at why the events didn't delete.

(by the way - just deleting the entire calendar via the web interface would be a lot faster than deleting one by one if you want to get rid of all of them!)
Old 23 Jun 2014, 12:21 PM   #292
mballas
Essential Contributor

I have successfully synchronized my iCloud and fastmail calendars bilaterally. However I can't get the iCloud.com calendar to show the fastmail calendar. Is that possible?
mballas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jun 2014, 12:33 PM   #293
brong
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Quote:
Originally Posted by mballas View Post
I have successfully synchronized my iCloud and fastmail calendars bilaterally. However I can't get the iCloud.com calendar to show the fastmail calendar. Is that possible?
No, I'm afraid not - you need to create the calendar on iCloud and then sync them up.

There's a way to do it with your existing data - download your existing calendar as an ICS file, create the linked calendar, then upload the events into that linked calendar.

(you'll want to make sure that's all working happily before you delete the original calendar)
Old 23 Jun 2014, 01:15 PM   #294
mballas
Essential Contributor

It works well on iOS and OS X devices so I guess I'll skip that because I like being able to enter and update events on both calendars
mballas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jun 2014, 06:31 PM   #295
ulmus
Essential Contributor

I repeat myself, but no one answered me on this:

Why i can see 'Who' in external google ICS calendar?
It is something like:

Going (1)
e1m2ss3fdhkn6q13d1nmo......... and so on...

I can get over it in web but cannot when this 'participant' is shown in my android synced calendar
ulmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Jul 2014, 03:42 AM   #296
Fuzzy Logic

Go to Today in mobile calendar

Tap the month in the blue line at the top and there's a Today link in the calendar that appears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by misc View Post
Don't know if it's too early for this question as calendar is still in beta, but: Is there a 'hidden' shortcut in the mobile interface (iOS) to jump to 'today'? I mean just like in the regular web interface, you have that button in the lower left corner. Can't find something like this on my iPhone.
Fuzzy Logic is offline   Reply With Quote