EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 2 Feb 2022, 11:20 AM   #1
DaveyMames

Question [Wanted] Email service with unlimited disposable email addresses for under $3 monthly

I have been forwarding emails from my single domain's email accounts on my hosting account to Gmail. If I ever get spam then I just delete an email address on my hosting account. It's a bit of a chore to do that as well as add a new account within my Gmail account every time I want to create a new disposable email address. I'd like something more user friendly which is specifically designed to allow the creation of disposable email addresses.

I'd like to be able to select a disposable email address to compose an email from and when I hit the reply button on an email in my main email account I'd like the FROM field to auto select the disposable email address that the email was sent to. This should always work unlike Gmail where sometimes replying from a disposable email address sends the email from your main email address instead due to a bug.

My Requirements
  • Email service should cost no more than $3 per month
  • I need to be able to create a few thousand disposable email addresses for my personal email account using a custom domain name.
  • Should work with several domain names at no extra cost. I won't be creating disposable email addresses for those extra domains.
  • Works with a client such as Thunderbird or has it's own dedicated client. Should be able to reply from a disposable email address in the client and should be able to compose an email from a disposable email address.
  • Not required but would be a bonus if I can create disposable email addresses inside the client as well instead of having to do it on the email provider's website.
  • I'm not that bothered about privacy but any privacy benefits would be a bonus.
  • Need a notification function in the client or a separate program that can sit in my tray that shows a popup when I get a new email
  • Client shouldn't be like Gmail's Standard view which I hate because it's slow and ugly and imprecise. Would like it to look basic like Gmail's HTML view or Thunderbird.
Only decent one I've found so far is: PurelyMail.com which is $10 per year.

Also, what happens once I'm using an email service (not apart of a hosting account) that meets my requirements and I want to move to a different service? I know I can just point my domains at the new service but is it possible to move the thousands of disposable email addresses to the new service as well?

None of these are suitable:
  • 33Mail.com: Only 1 custom domain allowed
  • FastMail.com: Only has 615 domain aliases limit
  • MailFence.com: Only has 100 domain aliases limit
  • Posteo.com: Only has 20 email aliases
  • Relay.Firefox.com: $1 per month until prices increase in the future. Gives you unlimited non-custom domain aliases.
  • Runbox.com: Only has 100 domain aliases limit
  • StartMail.com: They don’t have domain aliasing but does when NOT using custom domain
  • Tutanota.com: Only has 100 domain aliases limit
  • Zoho.com: 80p per month but only has 30 domain aliases maximum per domain name.

Last edited by DaveyMames : 2 Feb 2022 at 11:42 AM.
DaveyMames is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 2 Feb 2022, 11:36 AM   #2
jeffpan
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
tls-mail.com
Fastmail please
jeffpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Feb 2022, 11:42 AM   #3
DaveyMames

FastMail only has a 615 domain aliases limit
Old 3 Feb 2022, 05:41 AM   #4
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyMames View Post
FastMail only has a 615 domain aliases limit
Do you you expect to have to delete more than 600 addresses? I've been using various kinds of disposable addresses for about 20 years and I hardly recall any address I had to delete (but some of them were self deleting ones like spamgourmet, though I don't think I had that many self-delete over this time period.

As long as you don't delete an address, you don't need a separate alias for it. You can use a catchall alias for all the addresses in a domain (or subdomain, if you set it up right). And then when you want to "delete" an address, the need for a separate alias depends on what you mean by "delete". If just discarding email received at the address is good enough then you don't need an alias: you can just set a rule to discard the incoming email to that addresses (and it can be one rule for all the addresses you block: you just have to add the address to the list of addresses the rule applies to (and if all are in the same domain or subdomain it can be a list of the localparts).

I am using addresses in different subdomains: a separate subdomain for each business I have to give an email address to. I only use one alias for this, and if I ever need to block any of them, I have several options: one is to use a rule as I described. No additional alias needed. The second is to create an alias for the address and disable it (then all email coming to it would be blocked, that is not even received and discarded). The third is do define a separate bogus MX record for the subdomain, or a separate NS record and then a bogus MX record, and the the incoming mail would not even need to be blocked, because the senders would have nowhere to try to send it to.

I think that the more common use of the term "disposable addresses" is for addresses at services that specialize in providing such addresses for short term use, or with a rich feature set for controlling what can be received at each address, or selective partial blocking. Usually they do it only with addresses at their own domain. Perhaps people here know of some that provide such services for addresses in the customer's private domain. I don't know any. I used Sneakemail for many years but no more (it costs 3$ a month now). I use Spamgourmet for lots of stuff that only require one time address (it's free).
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Feb 2022, 06:34 AM   #5
DaveyMames

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadaso View Post
Do you you expect to have to delete more than 600 addresses? I've been using various kinds of disposable addresses for about 20 years and I hardly recall any address I had to delete (but some of them were self deleting ones like spamgourmet, though I don't think I had that many self-delete over this time period.

As long as you don't delete an address, you don't need a separate alias for it. You can use a catchall alias for all the addresses in a domain (or subdomain, if you set it up right). And then when you want to "delete" an address, the need for a separate alias depends on what you mean by "delete". If just discarding email received at the address is good enough then you don't need an alias: you can just set a rule to discard the incoming email to that addresses (and it can be one rule for all the addresses you block: you just have to add the address to the list of addresses the rule applies to (and if all are in the same domain or subdomain it can be a list of the localparts).

I am using addresses in different subdomains: a separate subdomain for each business I have to give an email address to. I only use one alias for this, and if I ever need to block any of them, I have several options: one is to use a rule as I described. No additional alias needed. The second is to create an alias for the address and disable it (then all email coming to it would be blocked, that is not even received and discarded). The third is do define a separate bogus MX record for the subdomain, or a separate NS record and then a bogus MX record, and the the incoming mail would not even need to be blocked, because the senders would have nowhere to try to send it to.

I think that the more common use of the term "disposable addresses" is for addresses at services that specialize in providing such addresses for short term use, or with a rich feature set for controlling what can be received at each address, or selective partial blocking. Usually they do it only with addresses at their own domain. Perhaps people here know of some that provide such services for addresses in the customer's private domain. I don't know any. I used Sneakemail for many years but no more (it costs 3$ a month now). I use Spamgourmet for lots of stuff that only require one time address (it's free).
No I don't delete email addresses that often because most sites don't send out spam. I've already got about 1,000 disposable email addresses for a private domain of mine that I use with my Gmail account that I created over the last 10 years or so. My primary domain email address is something like this:
dave@MyName.com
I create disposable email addresses like this for every site I join:
amazon@MyName.com

I don't know if I'm understanding you correctly. Are you suggesting I just use one of the services I already mentioned despite them offering a low amount of aliases because I can instead just use a catch all email address and then setup a rule to block any email address that receives spam? OK but from what I understand a catch-all will redirect any email sent to a domain to a specific email address. That's fine, I could block whatever email address is spamming me. But how do I reply to an email sent to a non-existing email address? It's a bit like on Gmail, you can't reply to an email sent to a disposable email address unless you add that email address to your Gmail account.

About 95% of my disposable email addresses are just for receiving email from websites but the other 5% of them are used to reply back to emails or to compose emails on.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying in your last paragraph. You seem to be saying you're not aware of any sites that offer disposable email addresses for a private domain. But all the main email providers that I listed in my original post have aliases which are the same thing as disposable email addresses, aren't they? You can just delete an email address once it receives spam. For example:
This is my domain name that I would host with an email service:
MyName.com
amazon@MyName.com
If it receives spam then I just delete the alias.

Those services I listed also allow you to reply to an email sent to your alias email address using the alias in the FROM field.

Also what do you mean by this as I don't understand the relevance:
"I use Spamgourmet for lots of stuff that only require one time address (it's free)"

Last edited by DaveyMames : 3 Feb 2022 at 06:43 AM.
Old 3 Feb 2022, 09:34 AM   #6
placebo
Cornerstone of the Community

Fastmail has plus and subdomain addressing which you may find works for you.

https://www.fastmail.help/hc/en-us/a...s/360060591053

Fastmail is out of your price range, but I think some other providers offer similar features.
placebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Feb 2022, 10:09 AM   #7
floatinghermit

sneakemail sounds like it might fit your needs, and it's exactly in your budget. I don't think they have any limits on aliases. You also can reply directly from your email client and it'll go to the recipient from the correct address without you having to configure anything in your client.
floatinghermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Feb 2022, 04:16 PM   #8
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by floatinghermit View Post
sneakemail sounds like it might fit your needs, and it's exactly in your budget. I don't think they have any limits on aliases. You also can reply directly from your email client and it'll go to the recipient from the correct address without you having to configure anything in your client.
SimpleLogin is another good ‘disposable address’ service and works with own domains.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Feb 2022, 05:49 PM   #9
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
My primary domain email address is something like this:
dave@MyName.com
amazon@MyName.com

I don't know if I'm understanding you correctly. Are you suggesting I just use one of the services I already mentioned despite them offering a low amount of aliases because I can instead just use a catch all email address and then setup a rule to block any email address that receives spam? OK but from what I understand a catch-all will redirect any email sent to a domain to a specific email address. That's fine, I could block whatever email address is spamming me. But how do I reply to an email sent to a non-existing email address?
I don't know about all email providers, but I know that on Fastmail it is possible to do all of this with just one alias: *@MyName.com.
That would include dave@MyName.com and also anythingelse@MyName.com, and also anything@anysubdomain.myname.com and I think also things like whatever@aaa.bbb.ccc.MyName.com. In Fastmail's webmail clients it would put the address where mail was received in the From field of a reply, and would allow typing in any localpart and subdomain in the From field of a newly composed mail.
All addresses in the domain would be redirected to one email address, but the original address that received the message is recorded in the email headers so it can be used in blocking or filing rules and is also used by the webmail client to populate the From header when replying to a message. Being able to use any address in a domain for sending or replying from a desktop (or smartphone) based email client would depend on the client's capabilities.
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Feb 2022, 07:27 PM   #10
TenFour
Master of the @

Seems hugely complicated to take care of a problem that is easily solved by unsubscribing from legitimate services or reporting SPAM when necessary. You can also just block specific addresses in Gmail and you will never see anything from them again. I have had the same Gmail address for about 16 years and I almost never see SPAM email in the inbox. I've got a list of about a dozen blocked addresses.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Feb 2022, 07:37 AM   #11
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

Just to clarify overloading a single FastMail alias (e.g., name@alias.tld) for any number of email addresses you create a sending identity *@name.alias.tld and then you can use any name for the '*' for the actual email address, for example, anything@name.alias.tld. And the anything can also be subdomained, e.g., a1.a2.a3@name.alias.tld. Also, so long as the respective (nested) folders are defined FastMail will sort mail sent to these addresses for you. No explicit filter rules are needed.

Note, while once upon a time you could create a sending identity of the form *@alias.tld that form is no longer allowed since FastMail requires verification of sending identities (but not *@name.alias.tld forms since FastMail knows name@alias.tld is a valid previously created alias). Users who have *@alias.tld sending identities prior to requiring verification are still allowed since those are grandfathered in (even though those still confusingly have a verify button).

Last edited by xyzzy : 4 Feb 2022 at 10:25 AM.
xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Feb 2022, 02:46 AM   #12
somdcomputerguy
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
My Requirements
  • Email service should cost no more than $3 per month
  • I need to be able to create a few thousand disposable email addresses for my personal email account using a custom domain name.
  • Should work with several domain names at no extra cost. I won't be creating disposable email addresses for those extra domains.
  • Works with a client such as Thunderbird or has it's own dedicated client. Should be able to reply from a disposable email address in the client and should be able to compose an email from a disposable email address.
  • Not required but would be a bonus if I can create disposable email addresses inside the client as well instead of having to do it on the email provider's website.
  • I'm not that bothered about privacy but any privacy benefits would be a bonus.
  • Need a notification function in the client or a separate program that can sit in my tray that shows a popup when I get a new email
  • Client shouldn't be like Gmail's Standard view which I hate because it's slow and ugly and imprecise. Would like it to look basic like Gmail's HTML view or Thunderbird.
Do you have an ISP account? If so you've most probably got at least one email address and a 'mailbox'.

Set up an account at spamgourmet.com and use your ISP email address as the protected address. Use the SG service to provide and create email addresses. Note that some services don't accept addresses with SG domains.

- Bruce
somdcomputerguy is offline   Reply With Quote