EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 30 Aug 2015, 08:03 AM   #1
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

For EuMX users: nasty bug in W10 Mail app

I've ran into this nasty bug in the new Windows 10 mail app. It affects at least EuMX.

Quote:
The Windows 10 Email app seems to have a problem with IMAP e-mail. Under Windows 8/8.1, when creating an account one had to enter an e-mail address and a username/password. Under Windows 10 a an account name - which can be a random text string - and a username/password are requested. The username can be an e-mail address or a domain username or something else depending on whether it used in a work envirnment, or whatever account username format is expected by the ISP.
A network packet capture on the sending computer during a failed send attempt shows that the Windows 10 Email app uses the username parameter to BOTH log in to the IMAP server and as the 'mail from' address in the SMTP transaction. If the username is not specified as an e-mail address, sending e-mail won't work, although receiving e-mail will work if the username/password is specified correctly.
EuMX uses an username that is not an email address.

Full thread here.
Same problem here. [EDIT] Removed link to avoid confusion. Is not exactly the same problem. [/EDIT]

Last edited by Berenburger : 31 Aug 2015 at 08:31 AM.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 31 Aug 2015, 06:22 AM   #2
fabule
Essential Contributor

Representative of:
eumx.net
We can't fix that issue in Windows 10, but we can ignore domain part during IMAP logins. We have applied a fix. Please let us know if you still have issues with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berenburger View Post
I've ran into this nasty bug in the new Windows 10 mail app. It affects at least EuMX.

EuMX uses an username that is not an email address.

Full thread here.
Same problem here.
fabule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Aug 2015, 08:26 AM   #3
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabule View Post
We can't fix that issue in Windows 10, but we can ignore domain part during IMAP logins. We have applied a fix. Please let us know if you still have issues with it.
Yes. If I understand correctly, the problem is when sending (SMTP). It needs a username as an email address. Incoming mail (IMAP) is no problem.

Last edited by Berenburger : 31 Aug 2015 at 08:33 AM.
Old 1 Sep 2015, 12:23 AM   #4
jdtaylor
Master of the @

Try using the advanced option for mutiple account types, in there you can choose the mail server, username and password etc. all the settings I think you need to set are under a different option in small print on that add account dialog box.
jdtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Sep 2015, 05:36 AM   #5
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdtaylor View Post
Try using the advanced option for mutiple account types, in there you can choose the mail server, username and password etc. all the settings I think you need to set are under a different option in small print on that add account dialog box.
Thank you jdtaylor. That did the trick.

Here my special settings:
Incoming mail server: ssl.eumx.net
Outgoing (SMTP) mail server: ssl.eumx.net:465:1
Use the same user name and password for sending mail: NOT checked.
Username for outgoing mail server: login name without @tld.
See, for the clarification the screen shot (sorry Dutch).
Old 3 Sep 2015, 01:24 AM   #6
jdtaylor
Master of the @

You do need to enable smtp authentication to use the eumx server as otherwise emails will bounce, if I'm correct here.
jdtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Sep 2015, 08:04 AM   #7
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdtaylor View Post
You do need to enable smtp authentication to use the eumx server as otherwise emails will bounce, if I'm correct here.
Yes, it is the blue checkmark in the screenshot.