EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 31 May 2006, 12:37 PM   #46
Heartz
Essential Contributor

Would it be possible to save states? For example, I always want my inbox to show unread messages so that I can use it as an archival tool. Is this possible?

I.e. Everytime i open my inbox, the default state is show all unread. All the read messages will be hidden.
Heartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Jun 2006, 04:02 AM   #47
jgrabinski

Question Sieve command

What is the Sieve command to flag a message?
jgrabinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Jun 2006, 06:25 AM   #48
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by Heartz
Would it be possible to save states? For example, I always want my inbox to show unread messages so that I can use it as an archival tool. Is this possible?

I.e. Everytime i open my inbox, the default state is show all unread. All the read messages will be hidden.
Right now there's a kind of "saved state". After choosing to view "unread" this state is saved even after moving to another folder, which is a bit annoying (at least the way I use it). Most of the time after moving to another folder I want to view "all".

Also: currently it is possible to set a folder to show preview of all/unread/no messages (also 1/3 lines). Now that it's possible to use "flag" instead of leaving messages unread, there's a need to show preview of flagged (but not all) messages. Also this need might change when viewing all messages or just flagged. One might not wish to clutter the mailbox with previews of all flagged messages but might want to see previews when displaying only flagged (or unread) messages. However, there seem to be so many useful combinations here that it would probably be difficult to implement. One solution might be to include actions to overide the folder's default in the action pull-down menu ("show previews"/"hide previews"). This can be useful when looking for a specific message in a cluttered mailbox. (and then perhaps the last choice per folder+view(all/read/unread/flagged) can be remembered, and then the column to set this in the folders screen would not be needed, so it can be removed and provide space for a new feature...)

Last edited by hadaso : 2 Jun 2006 at 12:51 AM.
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Jun 2006, 01:38 AM   #49
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Show/hide deleted?

One more idea that might fit well with the current work on flaged/read messages:
The standard IMAP way of deleting an email message is setting a /deleted flag. Currently when one uses an IMAP client in default settings (i.e. doesn't set the client to automatically purge deleted messages) what happens is that email messages that are deleted in the client (or dragged into another folder) appear in the webmail client striked-through.

So what I thought is that perhaps within the flagged/read/unread scheme it might be possible to include the /deleted flag, a way to show/hide deleted, and then in the options screen allow a user to choose that "Delete" would mean "mark /deleted" instead of "copy to Trash, mark /deleted, purge" as it works now.

One advantage of marking /deleted instead of moving to Trash is that the deleted mail can be undeleted by removing its /deleted status. And it stays in the right folder. The Trash folder doesn't really provide the full functionality of a trash folder in a file system because it doesn't have restoration functionality that "undeletes" and puts the message in its original location like the Windows "recycle bin".

I use the Trash folder as an archive (i.e., never purge, sometimes delete things that are obviously unneeded and can easily be searched for, and most of the time use "permanently delete" on email that I really do not need to keep).It seems that "mark /deleted" would work better with this model, but since I mainly use the webmail I have't tried it.
Old 2 Jun 2006, 03:05 AM   #50
ewal
Master of the @

I too use Trash mainly as an archive and what you suggest Hadaso would be very welcome, that is mark emails as deleted but leave them in its original folder. For webmail use I would love to have an option of mark deleted AND hidden. And then have a quick way of marking hidden (delet marked) emails unhidden. And then search functionality such that one can search on either visible items, hidden items - or both.

Edward
ewal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Jun 2006, 11:06 AM   #51
Heartz
Essential Contributor

Maybe this hidden but deleted mode should be something like GMail's "archive" button.
Heartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Jun 2006, 03:20 PM   #52
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by ewal
... mark deleted AND hidden. And then have a quick way of marking hidden (delet marked) emails unhidden. And then search functionality ...
What I had in mind was much simpler: just "Deleted" or not. The current implementation of flagged/read already handles the hiding/unhiding (when viewing "Read" unread are hidden. When viewing "unread" read are hidden, when viewing "flagged' unflagged are hidden and when viewing "all" nothing is hidden). So I thought since hiding is implicit in this setting /deleted can fit in so that normally /deleted mail is just hidden but can be made visible in the same way we can now show/hide on read/flagged status.

I haven't really checked how the read/flagged implementation interacts with searches.

Another thing I haven't really thought about is how the control to show/hide deleted can fit in with "View: All Unread Read Flagged". With /deleted hidden "All" wouldn't show all.
Old 2 Jun 2006, 10:15 PM   #53
mlevin
Cornerstone of the Community

Thank you!!!

I've been waiting for these flagged features for a long time.
mlevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Jun 2006, 03:26 AM   #54
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Lightbulb Re: Sieve command

Quote:
Originally posted by jgrabinski
What is the Sieve command to flag a message?
There are four flags currently used:
  • \\Flagged -- shown as F in the Flag column on the Mailbox screen -- general flag or mark
  • \\Answered -- shown as << in the Flag column on the Mailbox screen -- set when reply has been sent by client to that message
  • \\Deleted -- shown as - in the Flag column on the Mailbox screen and strikethrough on line -- set when message has been marked for deletion
  • \\Seen -- shown as normal (not bold) text on the Mailbox screen -- set when message has been read by client
These flags may be changed in a Sieve script using the following commands:
  • mark; -- sets the \\Flagged flag -- same as addflag "\\Flagged";
  • unmark; -- clears the \\Flagged flag -- same as removeflag "\\Flagged";
  • setflag <flag list>; -- sets flags in <flag list> and clears all other flags. Example: setflag "\\Seen";
  • addflag <flag list>; -- Adds flags in <flag list> without clearing any flags. Example: addflag "\\Flagged";
  • removeflag <flag list>; -- Removes flags in <flag list>. Example: removeflag "\\Answered";
The IMAP flag Extension standard describes the :globalflags tagged argument for use with fileinto and keep. At this time, it appears that use of :globalflags will cause a syntax error, and that globalflags are saved implicitly when a fileinto or keep is performed in Fastmail.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Jun 2006, 06:58 AM   #55
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

An option to mark a message "flagged" in the "define rules" screen can be useful now. I think a straightforward implemantation can just add "mark flagged" in the "file into folder" column (and then perhaps the name of the column should be change to something like "file into/mark").
Old 5 Jun 2006, 02:42 PM   #56
robmueller
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
Quote:
Originally posted by hadaso
An option to mark a message "flagged" in the "define rules" screen can be useful now. I think a straightforward implemantation can just add "mark flagged" in the "file into folder" column (and then perhaps the name of the column should be change to something like "file into/mark").
Good idea. I'll add it as a todo item, should be pretty easy.

Rob
robmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jun 2006, 11:58 AM   #57
kpuru

Custom Flags

I tried to use custom flags in Sieve as per the IMAP sieve RFC. It doesnt work right now.

Is there a possibility that we can use custome flags through sieve and interface?
kpuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jun 2006, 04:45 PM   #58
JasonWard
Cornerstone of the Community

Make sure you are usinmg the flags as documented within the custom script screen and not what you will probably find elsewhere.

Jason
JasonWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jun 2006, 01:14 AM   #59
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Re: Custom Flags

Quote:
Originally posted by kpuru
I tried to use custom flags in Sieve as per the IMAP sieve RFC. It doesnt work right now.

Is there a possibility that we can use custome flags through sieve and interface?
They have been working fine for me. Please read my post earlier in this thread:
Sieve commands for modifying flags

Below is one simple example script fragment which marks all messages which contain the string "test" in the subject. This causes these messages to be marked with a F in the "F" column in the Mailbox screen.
Code:
if header :contains "Subject" "test"
  { mark; }
Bil

edit: spelling

Last edited by n5bb : 8 Jul 2006 at 10:06 AM.
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jun 2006, 02:59 PM   #60
kpuru

doesnt work...

this is a extract of sieve rules..

Though the syntax is correct, I dont see "fwdflag" added to the mails.

Quote:
elsif header :contains "subject" ["dictionary.com","Fwd","Fw:"]
{
addflag "Fwdflag";
fileinto "INBOX.fwds";
}
Where exactly is the problem?
Please help.
kpuru is offline   Reply With Quote