EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Early Warning...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Early Warning... If an email service has closed down or changed the services it offers, or if there are indications it is about to do so, post about it here.

Old 8 Jun 2006, 10:17 AM   #1
WackyP

What Happened to Mailandnews/Shanjemail?

Nothing at all comes up when trying to go to their website. I use mailandnews for contest entries, so if I win anything, I would never know about it. Any idea if they are due to return from the dead?
WackyP is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 9 Jun 2006, 10:03 AM   #2
DrStrabismus
The "e" in e-mail

I certainly hope not. It's about time it stopped snaring people into its world of pain.

To be fair, it was a great service in the late 90's as a pioneer of free IMAP, but you are really five years too late for the "early-warning" forum. Things went wrong in about 2001 when it went down for two weeks. A few months later it got ditched by its original owner, and after another lengthy period of downtime it got picked-up by Shanjemail. By that time (mid 2002) it had really lost all credibility. Most of its serious users had found alternate services by then, Fastmail's IMAP made it the obvious candidate. I carried on picking-up my mail for some time until they lost most of the accounts.

They had some idea of turning it into a paid service, which made no sense at all. All they had was some unmaintained sofware, a spamtrap domain and a discredited brand.
DrStrabismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jun 2006, 07:55 PM   #3
jdtaylor
Master of the @

Hi,

I am not sure whether it's me but when they changed owners or something an old account I had seemed to disappear as well, so I don't know what is going on but I am just hoping they will get their act together soon.
jdtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jun 2006, 10:51 PM   #4
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

While of course anything's possible (theoretically anyway), having been in its death throes for some years now, as outlined by DrStrabismus above, I tend to have my doubts about the likelihood of seeing a resurrection of this service.
xmailer is offline   Reply With Quote