EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Runbox Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Runbox Forum Everything related to Runbox should go here: suggestions, comments, complaints, questions, technical issues, etc.

Old 3 May 2005, 12:54 AM   #1
mcowwman

Help please- I'm not getting email from people in whitelist

Hello-

With runbox I've been missing emails from friends despite the fact that their address are in my whitelist. How is this possible?

I have set a number of filters, specifically reacting to spam messages I receive. And I've been getting emails from the people I want to get messages from for years...until the least month or so.

Here are my settings....

As I mentioned, I have numerous specific filters set.

I have addresses I want to receive emails from in my whitelist.

I have checked delete junk mail to trash.

I have not checked "reject if possible" or "use trainable spam filter"

I thought if an email address is in my whitelist I autimatically should receive it, right? More and more of my friend's emails are not getting to me. The whitelist doesn't appear to be working.
Can somebody offer suggestions to help out.

Thanks.

Rob
mcowwman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 3 May 2005, 02:07 AM   #2
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
It may not have anything to do with the Whitelist. If the Whitelist wasn't working then the messages would either get through the spam filter OK or get moved to the designated spam folder. It sounds like you're using the Trash folder as your spam folder so they would be there if they were flagged as spam and the whitelist wasn't working.

I assume you are checking to make sure the messages aren't being moved to the Trash folder and not just deleting it all without checking?

Can you can firm if you're receiving the messages but they are being flagged as spam OR does it look like you are never receiving the messages?

Regards,
Rich
carverrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2005, 03:14 AM   #3
mcowwman

Hi-

I'm never receiving the messages at all. They are ot in the trash folder.

I know that Ive been missing messages because I've asked friends to run tests- sending to my runbox address and to an alternate address. The alternate address get the message but not runbox. And these are people in my whitelist.

My spam folder is the trash folder. I've set it so they go to the trash folder. But nothing goes there. Spam from the same people gets into my inbox. I assume it's the same source because the lingo they use is the same. So that stuff gets through but the people on my whitelist do not.
Old 3 May 2005, 03:45 AM   #4
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Quote:
Originally posted by mcowwman
My spam folder is the trash folder. I've set it so they go to the trash folder. But nothing goes there. Spam from the same people gets into my inbox. I assume it's the same source because the lingo they use is the same. So that stuff gets through but the people on my whitelist do not.
I don't understand what you mean here.

What do you mean "Spam from the same people gets into my inbox"? Who are "the same people"?

Also, do you have anything in your Blocklist?

Regards,
Rich
Old 3 May 2005, 05:10 AM   #5
mcowwman

Yes I have quite a few names in my block list, but none of my friend's are in there.

What I mean by "the same people" is this...

I have been getting spam for prescription medications and for computer products. The spam arrives to my address even though it may or may not be addressed to me. For instance, it may come to: ericnancy@runbox.com. Well, that is not my email address but somehow it arrives to me. Sometimes it comes to a group of people @runbox of which I'm included.

It is usually from some bizzare name from an email domain I never heard of. And in the body of the text, there's sometimes words written in gibberish, like ipsoktim mattus ignoe or something like that. There's a link to a website (which naturally, I never click on). And/or there may be a little story, a parable or something included at the end.

What I do is usually deleted the name and domain name. I check them first to make sure they aren't domaina that people I know use.

Here's an example of one that came today (I'll list it by line item).....

Here's where it came from...

"abram lu" <iwonao@pdacopy.com>

Here's who it came to...

"Rufus Salerno" <(my runbox name was here)@runbox.com>

Here's the subject...

How to escape from the highprice medicals at the local store?

Here's the body ....

Our store provides you a better chance to sav on medicals and it is
legitimate and convenient to shoppe in this way.

Our quick and reliable logistic services provides customers better
convenience.

All these quality medis are sold at superlovvprices. Customers can cut down
the expenses on medix dramatically.

http://mng.bh4.afriendknow.com/fg/

It is such a relaxing experience to shoppe at your phar-site. The tablets
are much much cheapper than those sold at our local stores. And with the
timely logistic services provided, I can gget or-der sent to me quickly.
--Jesse B. in CA

e said:"You have a home now; you ought to think of that."And Jurgen thought
of their screaming. Farther on were the wal
many things.The sea has heavy waves, but there are heavier waves in
thehuman rse fell upon Mother Soren, but the tax collector did not know much
about her, and, indeed,
heart. Many thoughts, strong and weak, rushed through Jurgen's brain, and
he said to El
se:"If Martin h be 1 church ad a house like mine, which of us would you
ratherhave?""But Martin 09 hear and

That's how the email ended. This garbage gets through but email I want doesn't. Any advice? Thanks.
Old 3 May 2005, 07:08 AM   #6
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Block lists are basically useless. Unless you are trying to block mail from a certain individual that always sends from the same address .... DON'T USE IT.

Spammers usually don't use their own email addresses so blocking addresses from spam doesn't do any good. It could even hurt if they used some other valid addresses.

I would suggest you first either delete all your block list entries or check everyone carefully.

The test for the block list entries is contains so if you have a block list entry that says "mail.com" then this will block any "From" address that contains "mail.com" including all hotmail.com and gmail.com addresses.

To block only "mail.com" domain addresses it needs to be "@mail.com".

If you have any filters that delete messages either mark them inactive or move the messages to a folder so you can check them.

Getting emails that are not addressed to you is not uncommon. If your address was in the BCC section of the mail your name will not appear in the header of the message.

Regards,
Rich
Old 3 May 2005, 08:05 AM   #7
mcowwman

I'll try your suggestions- e.g.: removing the block list entries, changing filters to be moved to a spam folder and so forth and see if that changes anything.

Still, it doesn't make sense that an address in my whitelist doesn't make it through. I thought that superceded all other settings.

Thanks.
Old 3 May 2005, 11:51 AM   #8
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Actually the filter to delete Blocklist entries occurs before the filter to move spam to a folder. Plus you can have your own filters run before either of these if you have the Order value set to a value less than -2.

The Whiltelist only causes a message to be considered as "not spam" so it can still be blocked by a Blocklist entry.

Refer to this posting Order Values for Filter Processing to get a better idea the order in which filters, both built-in and user-defined, are processed.

Regards,
Rich