EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 12 Dec 2006, 02:24 PM   #1
rthomas

Mail that vanish

Hi,

Since we are on replicated server I have some mail that vanish.
In Thunderbird I see a new mail, when I try to open it the mail vanish.
Because I have a forward rule of all my received mail to a GMail account I can see the mail is there. Headers confirm this is from my Fastmail account.
This is exceptional, I have seen this for 3 mails since we are on the new architecture.

A friend using also an enhanced Fastmail account + GMail forward experience the same behavior!

Nobody else?

Regards,
Remi
rthomas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12 Dec 2006, 03:58 PM   #2
missileboat

I forward all of my mail to my goverment address and there are times that not all my mail gets forwarded but I can't say that I have ever had anything completely dissapear off of the Fastmail server. There have been a couple of times that I have experienced old mail not being in my mailbox but that is more than likely the result of my deleting it and forgetting I deleted it. Never had it happen with new mail, though.
missileboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Dec 2006, 05:53 PM   #3
lieckfeldt

I think there has been an issue with the latest version of Thunderbird 1.5.0.8?? which fails to display mails under certain circumstances. Look at the mozilla newsgroups or google for it.

Norbert
lieckfeldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Dec 2006, 09:00 PM   #4
rthomas

Quote:
Originally posted by lieckfeldt
I think there has been an issue with the latest version of Thunderbird 1.5.0.8?? which fails to display mails under certain circumstances. Look at the mozilla newsgroups or google for it.
My friend uses OE and have the same problem.
If I look in Fastmail's webmail the mail is not there.

The question is, next time I have the problem, what can I do with technical support to troubleshoot it?

Remi
rthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Dec 2006, 07:10 PM   #5
robmueller
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
Next time it happens, email me at robm AT fastmail DOT fm. You need to tell me your account name, what folder the email was in, when it disappeared (your time and your timzone), what the subject and from address of the email were.

I'll dig into the folder and logs to see what happened.

Rob
robmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Dec 2006, 07:12 PM   #6
robmueller
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
FYI, I don't think this is replication based problem because:

1. It would only happen if the master/replica were out of sync and we "failed over" to the replica, which we don't do that often
2. We have a "check replication" script we run regularly to see that master and replica server are in sync, and we haven't seen any missing messages

Rob
robmueller is offline   Reply With Quote