EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Runbox Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Runbox Forum Everything related to Runbox should go here: suggestions, comments, complaints, questions, technical issues, etc.

Old 16 Nov 2013, 06:01 AM   #1
cwrea

New Runbox SSL certificate not recognized by Firefox

Today, just now, when trying to connect to Runbox web securely via my PC on Firefox 24.0 and my Mac on Firefox 25.0, I'm getting the following error from each browser:
"This Connection is Untrusted
[...]
> Technical Details
runbox.com uses an invalid security certificate. The certificate is not trusted because no issuer chain was provided. (Error code: sec_error_unknown_issuer)"
Subsequently, I noticed that Runbox changed its certificate very recently, since the current certificate's issue date shows three days ago (Nov. 12, 2013).

It's been my experience, as a web developer, that some web browsers might come with the required Certificate Authority (CA) already recognized (pre-installed with the browser, or downloaded in an update), whereas other browsers require the web server to not only present its own certificate, but also the certificates of intermediate authorities that lead up to a known root, in case the browser doesn't recognize the intermediate(s). This set of certificates is the "issuer chain" that is referred to in the error message above. It's easy to forget to install the full chain and only install the one certificate for the server itself, especially if you don't test with all the browsers.

Is Runbox's server configured to offer up the certificate chain, or only its own certificate? Did Runbox test with a current version of Firefox to see if the newly-issued certificate would be recognized by that browser?

Thank you.
cwrea is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 16 Nov 2013, 06:16 AM   #2
cwrea

Looks like it isn't just me having an issue. The Qualys SSL Labs link that Runbox posted in its own blog post on "Runbox now supports Forward Secrecy" is also reporting issues with the issuer chain:

See https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/anal...l?d=runbox.com

[...]

Certificates provided 1 (1470 bytes)

Chain issues Incomplete

[...]
Though I'm surprised Qualys would still report an "A" rating despite such server misconfiguration.
Old 16 Nov 2013, 06:19 AM   #3
Geir
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Runbox.com
We installed a new Extended Validation just now and unfortunately we had omitted an intermediate certificate. Sorry about that -- please refresh the page and you should no longer get an error.

- Geir
Geir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Nov 2013, 06:20 AM   #4
cwrea

Thumbs up Working now! Thanks.

I can confirm it is now working. Thank you for the quick turnaround.
Old 16 Nov 2013, 06:31 AM   #5
Geir
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Thanks for the reminder about intermediate certificates -- we have been back and forth with GlobalSign a few times and of course we only forgot the intermediate certificate when we had finally made everything else work as it should.

- Geir
Geir is offline   Reply With Quote