EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > The Technical Zone...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Technical Zone... The Geeky forum... Use this forum to discuss technical aspects of email, from authentication protocols to encryption.

Old 10 Jul 2014, 06:43 PM   #1
mark73

Representative of:
Servermx.com
catchall for subdomain

for my mydomainname.tld I have

>dig mx <subdomainhere>.mydomainname.tld

>; ANSWER SECTION:
<subdomainhere>.mydomainname.tld. 3599 IN MX 10 mx.mydomainname.tld

I have set "*" for record MX of course

Do you know any providers which implements catchall for subdomain name?
mark73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10 Jul 2014, 07:53 PM   #2
adamlau

Runbox, FastMail, EUMX and MXroute to name a few...
adamlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jul 2014, 10:13 PM   #3
popowich
Essential Contributor

Representative of:
EmailQuestions.com
Can you explain this more?

To me a catchall means every "invalid or unspecified email account in a domain" (anything that isn't a pop/imap/forward/alias" gets delivered to the catchall destination, but I don't think I've seen a service where by adding a * MX record every email address within any subdomain of your domain gets delivered?
popowich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jul 2014, 10:05 PM   #4
mark73

Representative of:
Servermx.com
I was not clear, I am sorry. I have a domain name on which

dig MX <anysubdomain>.mydomain.tld

;; ANSWER SECTION:
<anysubdomain>.mydomain.tld 3600 IN MX 10 mx.mydomain.tld

this means that any subdomain has the same MX record.
This way I can send any email to

"user@<anysubdomain>.mydomain.tld"

it requires a MTA with the capablity to catch any

"<anysubdomain>.mydomain.tld"

to the same mailbox.

for example

user@contact.mydomain.tld
user@info.mydomain.tld
user@more.mydomain.tld
user@anything.mydomain.tld

should go to the same subdomain catchall mailbox.
Old 12 Jul 2014, 11:21 PM   #5
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow Fastmail supports subdomains

Fastmail allows use of subdomains with either aliases at their domain or your own domains.
  • You must have an Enhanced or Premier account at Fastmail to use your own domain (which they call the Virtual Domain feature).
  • If your own domain DNS records points the subdomain MX to the Fastmail incoming server, email will be delivered to your account at Fastmail.
  • For each of your domains configured for use at Fastmail, you can configure your account to have subdomain email delivered in one of three ways:
    1. The subdomain is dropped during delivery. So mail to a@b.yourdomain.xx is delivered to a@fastmailaccount.xx.
    2. The subdomain is swapped using plus+addressing so you can file messages or apply rules based on the subdomain. So mail to a@b.yourdomain.xx is delivered to b+a@fastmailaccount.xx.
    3. All subdomain messages are rejected, but non-subdomain messages are delivered.
  • You can read more about this in the Fastmail help:
    How to set up email for your own domain
  • Fastmail has a sub-forum here at EMD.
Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Aug 2014, 05:10 AM   #6
lane
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
Fastmail allows use of subdomains with either aliases at their domain or your own domains.
  • You must have an Enhanced or Premier account at Fastmail to use your own domain (which they call the Virtual Domain feature).
Bill
As Bill knows better than I, there is also a cheaper route to using your own domain if you need to pinch pennies. You can purchase a Family Account ($5 per year) plus one user ($10, $20, or $40 depending on storage needs), and Family Accounts support using your own domain. So you could get your own domain support for $15 (with much less storage), rather than buying an Enhanced Account for $40. If you have multiple users at your own domain, this is actually the most convenient way to go. There is also a similar Business Account package with a different set of user levels/storage.
lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Aug 2014, 02:14 AM   #7
mark73

Representative of:
Servermx.com
Subdomain stripping is the process of removing the subdomains from the main domain and delivering the emails to the main domain directly

https://adminconsole.wiki.zoho.com/s...Stripping.html
Old 21 Aug 2014, 03:45 AM   #8
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark73 View Post
Subdomain stripping is the process of removing the subdomains from the main domain and delivering the emails to the main domain directly

https://adminconsole.wiki.zoho.com/s...Stripping.html
What would happen in a 'Joe-job' situation - would not the spam (backscatter sent to false aliases) be sent to the main account.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Aug 2014, 06:34 AM   #9
lane
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
What would happen in a 'Joe-job' situation - would not the spam (backscatter sent to false aliases) be sent to the main account.
I should think so. Isn't that the idea? You are asking for all email to a subdomain to be delivered to the parallel address at the main domain.
lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Aug 2014, 06:51 AM   #10
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lane View Post
I should think so. Isn't that the idea? You are asking for all email to a subdomain to be delivered to the parallel address at the main domain.

I Guess so. I had never heard of the term 'subdomain stripping' before, is the reason I asked the question.....
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Aug 2014, 11:55 AM   #11
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I Guess so. I had never heard of the term 'subdomain stripping' before, is the reason I asked the question.....
The term 'subdomain stripping' was a specific Zoho feature (described at the link given before). When an email is sent to a subdomain address such as joe@citizen.example.org, the destination email system has to determine how to map that address into the existing alias structure. Zoho (and Fastmail) allow the subdomain to be stripped (or dropped), so that the message would be delivered to the joe@mainaccount.com alias. Fastmail also allows an arbitrary fixed mapping (such as to sales@mainaccount.com) or a mapping combining the subdomain and the original alias so that the message can be filed in a subfolder (citizen+joe@mainaccount.com). These are provider-specific features for dealing with delivery of messages to subdomains.

I haven't noticed much spam to random addresses at my personal domain recently. Instead of using dictionary attacks (trying a wide range of aliases at a domain, hoping to find active email accounts) I think the spammers have so many email addresses they have obtained in data breaches and in other manners they just use those known-good addresses for the majority of their messages.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Sep 2014, 03:03 AM   #12
EmailHosting

Representative of:
EmailHosting.com
Talking Use a Catch-All Alias

You may just be able to use a catch-all alias to accomplish that.
EmailHosting is offline   Reply With Quote