EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Help Needed!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Help Needed! Having problems with your email service, or with the email software you're using? Post your questions and answers here!

Old 1 Oct 2016, 03:42 AM   #1
Jo Reviello

Mass Emailing From Mobile Phone

Hi,
I recently took on the role of the person to be in charge of sending out mass emails to 40+ church members containing prayer requests ("prayer chain"). It seems that when I send an email to a small number of people, all is ok. But when I send an email to a large number of people, those recipients who have a domain other than yahoo (I use yahoo), only see nonsensical characters in the body of the message. I've contacted Sprint (my carrier) and they did not know how to help; and Yahoo has no number to call and I couldn't seem to find the answer on their online community help site - at least none that I could understand. I read online about encoding/decoding but I did not understand it.
I recently sent a test mass email to the church members from my computer just to see if the same thing happens - I have yet to find out. In the meantime, any ideas as to what is happening to these email messages and how I might be able to fix it?
Thanks!
Jo
Jo Reviello is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 1 Oct 2016, 04:52 AM   #2
kaptitsky
The "e" in e-mail

Just to be clear, how are you sending the messages on your phone?

Are you using the Yahoo website, the Yahoo app, the email app, the gmail app or some other tool?

The choice of mail client can make a big difference in mail formatting.
kaptitsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Oct 2016, 07:16 AM   #3
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

If you are sending through the Yahoo system (using their webmail or SMTP from an email client), I believe that there are sending limits of:
  • 100 recipients per message
  • 500 messages per day. So if you send 5 messages with each email containing 100 recipients you will use up your quota for that day.
As kaptitsy suggests we can't give any good answers without knowing exactly how you are sending the messages. For example, "Apple Mail app on iOS v9.3.5 using Yahoo standard setup".

Mobile email clients aren't always too robust, and I can imagine that you might have difficulties if you send to many dozens of recipients. But this will depend on the email client, and the limit might not be clearly specified.

Most email systems tend to block or limit senders who attempt to send to a very large number of recipients in one message, since this is a common method used by spammers.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Oct 2016, 06:52 PM   #4
kaptitsky
The "e" in e-mail

I'm interested in the fact that the messages do (apparently) all get through to the intended recipients, but formatting is a problem.

The messages appear garbled to anyone who is not receiving them on Yahoo.

For me, this tends to make me thing that the problem is not running into sending limits, but some quirk of message formatting.
kaptitsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Oct 2016, 03:04 AM   #5
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

The message formatting issue is interesting. I commented about the Yahoo sending limits because it's conceivable that Yahoo is truncating (reducing the length) messages when there are many recipients.

I wonder if you are sending using Yahoo groups using one of the techniques described in this Yahoo help post?
https://help.yahoo.com/kb/groups/pos...p-sln2480.html

If you are sending anything other than a plain text message, there are always things which can go wrong. Without seeing an example of the same message as received properly (at a Yahoo address) and improperly (at another address), it's hard to say more.

Bill
Old 19 Oct 2016, 08:58 AM   #6
Jo Reviello

Thanks for the input
I was emailing from the standard yahoo set up on my mobile phone - not an app - although I tried their app but didn't find it very user friendly. I've since been using an app called TypeApp on my phone and it seems to be working ok. I only had one incident where I sent out an email to 41 recipients and 2 emails bounced back with an issue with encoding my email message - it was unreadable. But that only happened once and I'm thinking it has to do with sending limits per day. Sometimes I email a group of recipients several times a day.That day I emailed the group several times.
I'll check out the yahoo groups too - I didn't know about that.
Jo Reviello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Oct 2016, 09:35 AM   #7
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo Reviello View Post
Thanks for the input
I was emailing from the standard yahoo set up on my mobile phone - not an app ...
This tells us how you are not sending, but still doesn't inform us how you are sending email. You might be using the default email client on your phone (for example, the Mail built-in application on an iOS device) or logging into the Yahoo website on a browser (for example, the Safari built-in application on an iOS device). If you are using an email client, there will be a setup screen where you will see the SMTP outgoing email server used to send email messages. If you are using a web browser you should see a URL at the top, and it probably starts with "https://www.yahoo.com".

Are these simple plain text messages or are you using HTML or Rich Text or embedded images or attachments? If you are using a signature at the bottom, I recommend making sure it's a simple plain text signature (no bold or color or other special characteristics).

What is the size of each message?

Bill