EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Help Needed!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Help Needed! Having problems with your email service, or with the email software you're using? Post your questions and answers here!

Old 1 Oct 2016, 08:41 PM   #1
A thomas

Email account blocked

I recently had an issue with BT email server, email account went down. It had now been fixed by BT for webmail but not kindle. kindle gets message that account does not exist. BT insist it is a Kindle problem as webmail works.

But... Other BT email accounts work in the Kindle; my account does not work on an apple i-phone: it all happened when the BT server had an issue: Amazon can find no issue with the Kindle and cannot solve the problem: the kindle states that the it is a message from the server saying the account does not exist (on all apps tried).

How can this then be a device issue?

Who is responsible for solving this and what should I suggest that they do?
A thomas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 1 Oct 2016, 11:18 PM   #2
ReuvenNY

What is BT?
ReuvenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Oct 2016, 11:32 PM   #3
kaptitsky
The "e" in e-mail

The former British Telecom goes under the name BT nowadays.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BT_Group

You say that this is NOT a KIndle issue because you also cannot configure the account on an iPhone.

It is possible that somehow, POP/IMAP access is not configured as on for that particular account.

Is this a Yahoo based BT mail account? Can you find settings for POP/IMAP access in the web interface?

I would ask BT if server access is enabled for the account, without mentioning any one device.

In fact, trying other mail clients, like Thunderbird, may give you clearer error messages. Testing this access will also let you see if any small errors have crept into your configuration, such as finding it works with the domain name/full address included in the login.
kaptitsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Oct 2016, 02:57 AM   #4
A thomas

I have checked all the IMAP settings with BT. They say that everything is fine at their end and it's a device issue. But how can it be if it is the same on multiple different devices?
Old 2 Oct 2016, 03:09 AM   #5
A thomas

Thunderbird just says 'log in to server failed' so no help really
Old 2 Oct 2016, 04:14 AM   #6
A thomas

The Kindle worked perfectly before the BT server crashed my email address. BT restored webmail access but failed to restore access to remote devices. Nothing has changed on the Kindle. I can set up a new email address on the same BT account and it works on the Kindle.