EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Google Gmail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Google Gmail Forum Discussions related to Google's Gmail service should go here: suggestions, tips, comments, requests for help, tech issues etc.

Old 5 Jun 2013, 09:49 AM   #1
kaptitsky
The "e" in e-mail

Hosting Multiple Domains On One Google Apps Personal Account

Bought my sister a new domain name and went to set it up in her Google Apps Personal. The plan was just to set it up as an alias to her primary domain name, as that was all I thought was allowed.

But Gapps asked me if I wanted to set it up as a domain alias, or a separate domain. I chose separate domain and verified it, and boom, another domain with free Google Apps. I now select which domain to create new users on.

I assume that the total number of users is still at the limit; 50 for old timers, 10 for newer users, but adding another domain name to be hosted on the same service is great, and something I didn't know about.
kaptitsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 5 Jun 2013, 12:36 PM   #2
Cory
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptitsky View Post
Bought my sister a new domain name and went to set it up in her Google Apps Personal. The plan was just to set it up as an alias to her primary domain name, as that was all I thought was allowed.

But Gapps asked me if I wanted to set it up as a domain alias, or a separate domain. I chose separate domain and verified it, and boom, another domain with free Google Apps. I now select which domain to create new users on.

I assume that the total number of users is still at the limit; 50 for old timers, 10 for newer users, but adding another domain name to be hosted on the same service is great, and something I didn't know about.
When you add a new domain to your existing account the user accounts on that domain count towards the limit of the main domain. Its a great and newer feature of Google Apps.
Cory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Jun 2013, 07:10 PM   #3
kaptitsky
The "e" in e-mail

There are still places with challenges. I can see how to set wildcard addressing for the primary domain, but not for the secondary domain. Maybe the one addressing works for all domains hosted; I didn't test.
Old 6 Jun 2013, 12:01 AM   #4
Cory
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptitsky View Post
There are still places with challenges. I can see how to set wildcard addressing for the primary domain, but not for the secondary domain. Maybe the one addressing works for all domains hosted; I didn't test.
Your right about that. What I do instead of setting the wildcard via CNAME's I just do it via URL Forwarding. So I'll create mail.secondarygappsdomain.tld and URL forward that to http://mail.google.com/a/secondarygappsdomain.tld

Works well enough since thats basically the same thing CNAME forwarding does, in Google Apps case.
Cory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Oct 2016, 02:18 PM   #5
kaptitsky
The "e" in e-mail

Just to note, it appears that the ability to host a secondary domain on a legacy free Google Apps account has been removed.

This also means that you can't change the primary hosted domain because you have to have a validated secondary domain before changing the primary.

You can still set up an alias domain, which will shadow the address configuration for the primary domain, as you could originally.

This is probably relevant to few because the legacy free accounts haven't been available in a long time.

Heck, Google Apps is even called G Suite nowadays.

But I figured I would note it. And maybe someone even knows a trick to still make secondary domains work .. .