EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 28 Mar 2010, 11:41 PM   #46
adam15c
Essential Contributor

I too was an FM user for many years. But Gmail just offers so much more. I need contact, calendar & email sync with mobile, Gmail just do this perfectly. I could probably do it all separately and continue to use FM, but then why should I? I'm getting it all for free. Its a shame as I promoted FM to all my friends and added links to FM on my websites. But unfortunately they just haven't moved on. Just my humble opinion.
adam15c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Mar 2010, 03:45 AM   #47
Prognathous
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam15c View Post
I too was an FM user for many years. But Gmail just offers so much more. I need contact, calendar & email sync with mobile, Gmail just do this perfectly. I could probably do it all separately and continue to use FM, but then why should I? I'm getting it all for free.
So it turns out there is free lunch, right?

Prog.
Prognathous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Mar 2010, 04:13 AM   #48
ReuvenNY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prognathous View Post

Prog.
This lunch is as free as out television in the US. We pay with viewing commercials and clicking on advertising links.
Most people consider it a small price to pay for great service.
ReuvenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Mar 2010, 08:23 AM   #49
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Location: a virtually impossible but finitely improbable position
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prognathous View Post

Prog.
Hmmm... Let's see. What value do you place on your data privacy?

Google is collecting information on everything about you. No such thing as a free lunch.

They know your friends, your bank, your employment, your home address, everything that is ever in your emails, they have that information...

Not only that, they use all that information to make money off you.

They sell statistical information information on you to others, then they also target you with advertising most likely to influence you.

Ain't no you you are gonna get me to do that.
ChinaLamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Mar 2010, 04:01 AM   #50
qwertz123456
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinaLamb View Post

Not only that, they use all that information to make money off you.

They sell statistical information information on you to others, then they also target you with advertising most likely to influence you.
So, basically we should be asking google for money OK, for every email I send through gmail I want 2 USD from google!!!
qwertz123456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Mar 2010, 08:22 AM   #51
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertz123456 View Post
So, basically we should be asking google for money OK, for every email I send through gmail I want 2 USD from google!!!
My privacy is worth a lot. But when you compare 11c-14c per day for email service ($40-$50 per year for many of the major email providers) it seems pretty cheap.
Old 5 Apr 2010, 12:05 AM   #52
biffbulkie
Essential Contributor

Quote:
My privacy is worth a lot.
Someone posting from China might have more internet privacy issues to be concerned about than Google.
biffbulkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Apr 2010, 08:32 AM   #53
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffbulkie View Post
Someone posting from China might have more internet privacy issues to be concerned about than Google.
What? Who?

Oh, You mean me? ha ha
Old 7 Apr 2010, 05:25 PM   #54
hobbes

I'm certainly considering moving to Gmail or Zoho Mail, using my domain name, purely for the interface.

I'm really impressed with the FM back-end system. It is really good. However, the front-end webmail design is lacking. Yes, it's an improvement on the old interface, but it will never win an interface design or usability award.

I would recommend FM for those who use a desktop client. However, for those who use the web interface exclusively, it is cumbersome and ugly, making it a relatively unpleasant interface to use. It is clear that a programmer designed it, not a user interface designer (BTW, did you know that there are more colours in the rainbow than blue? And, just how many font sizes are being used in the interface?). Yes, I know that I can code a custom.css, whatever it is, and redo it myself. But, I have neither the time nor the ability to do so. It's like giving someone a Ford car with a Porche engine for the cost of a Porsche and telling them "Well, it can also look like a Porsche if you want it. Here's a tool kit. Do it yourself!"

Sorry if this sounds harsh. When the new interface was being done, I saw this as a massive opportunity for FM to stand out in the webmail market, beyond just throwing features at the user. With the outcome, and the apparent view that the new interface is finished, I'm genuinely disappointed.

Last edited by hobbes : 7 Apr 2010 at 05:55 PM.
hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2010, 02:43 PM   #55
pengrus

I didn't really use FastMail that much even I paid for 5 years Enhanced.

Reason: I found FastMail VERY SLOW in implementing new feature requests. Let's say, threaded view? Better Search?

However, I just made FastMail my mission critical email service provider, why?

Google failed me. I have an email address hosted with them. For almost a year, people who emailed me did not get any error or bounced messages. And I do not get them. I thought no one email me at this address, until one day, a guy showed me he emailed me and I got nothing.

I checked my google hosted account, and it shows everything FINE and ACTIVE.

Out of frustration, I paid another 5 years of Enhanced and moved my domain over. I want to make this my mission critical email service now. The only paid email I got.

I emailed google yesterday asking for their help to recover my lost emails, as you guessed, no reply yet. I already got several emails from FastMail telling me what might be wrong in my domain set up.

Let's give FastMail some support, and play with other free emails. I do not wish to lose any emails ever again.
pengrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2010, 05:07 PM   #56
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes View Post
I'm certainly considering moving to Gmail or Zoho Mail, using my domain name, purely for the interface.
Why would you just give all your sensitive information to a company that admits that they will earn money off of it?
Old 10 Apr 2010, 06:03 PM   #57
hobbes

Quote:
Why would you just give all your sensitive information to a company that admits that they will earn money off of it?
They haven't got all my sensitive information. They haven't got a little bit.

Who, in their right mind, would store/send sensitive information via an email system? Even on a technical level, email is inherently insecure.
Old 10 Apr 2010, 09:38 PM   #58
cococo
= Permanently banned =

Quote:
They haven't got all my sensitive information. They haven't got a little bit.

Who, in their right mind, would store/send sensitive information via an email system? Even on a technical level, email is inherently insecure.
a sheep minded person definitely might do it.
cococo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Apr 2010, 05:47 AM   #59
alapzaj

Quote:
I registered on Gooze.eu, a small and nice webshop for PKI hardware a few days ago. After registration, they sent me an email with my login name and password(!) in clear text. And this is a place where you use your credit card for buying security hardware...
alapzaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Apr 2010, 04:36 PM   #60
hobbes

Quote:
Originally Posted by cococo View Post
a sheep minded person definitely might do it.
Indeed. But, those who have read the Privacy Policy, particularly the "How we use and disclose your information" section, should reconsider.

That's not to say we should not use such services. But, we should not kid ourselves about the extent of privacy within services like Google AND Fastmail.