EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 19 Mar 2014, 09:33 AM   #1
MagicDavid

Tricks to get through proxy / firewall / corporate filter

Hi all

There used to be a way to get access to Fastmail from behind a corporate web filter. If you had your own domain set up (which I do) you could map your domain to the fastmail web interface and force it to use an insecure (non HTTP) connection - in that way you wouldn't get redirected to fastmail's HTTPS.

Obviously this was a security issue, so I used an SMS one time password any time I had to do this.

Then there was a way that you could map your domain to the HTTPS fastmail server, and then simply ignore the certificate error.

Recently, I've noticed all the cheats I used to use have stopped working, and now I'm completely unable to access Fastmail from work. They subscribe to a web filter that simply blocks the domains of all known web mail providers.

Can someone tell me if they are aware of any ways to get the domain mapping working again so I can get access to my email once again?

Many thanks

David
MagicDavid is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 19 Mar 2014, 12:29 PM   #2
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Have you tried mapping your domain to insecure.fastmail.fm?
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Mar 2014, 03:37 PM   #3
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

VPN should do the trick.
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Mar 2014, 08:54 PM   #4
MagicDavid

Smile

Hi both

Thanks for your replies. Alas our IT department won't even let us access Google Docs, so a VPN would not be possible.

However, I thought I'd tried CNAME-ing a domain to insecure, but I've just tried it again, and it worked! So many thanks for that advice! I will see if I can get it to work somehow with SSL and ignore the certificate warning also.

Thanks both - very helpful.

David
Old 20 Mar 2014, 09:15 PM   #5
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Our IT dept blocks, like . . . everything.

That's why everyone has their own smartphone - out of site, but close to hand.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Mar 2014, 10:17 PM   #6
MagicDavid

It's really annoying isn't it!

Mapping to the SSL (ssl.fastmail.fm) showing a certificate error, as I'd expect, but then frustraitingly redirects to https://ssl.fastmail.fm which of course immediately gets blocked by our firewall. It used to be that it would stay on your own custom domain but with a warning that the fastmail SSL certificate didn't match your domain name.

Ah well. I'll have to stick to insecure and SMS one time passwords for the moment unless Fastmail can put this back to the way it was before?

Thanks all for your input.

David