EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 29 Nov 2001, 04:06 PM   #16
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

Yes, the problem is certainly related specifically to the presence of a root folder path. I know that I've had problems with Netscape/Mozilla not always doing what it's told wrt using the root folder path. KMail also has the same problem, IIRC.

This is because servers that use a root path are in the minority (Cyrus is the only one that comes to mind). The reason for this is that Cyrus also supports 'shared IMAP folders' which are kind of like bulletin boards for IMAP.

The next version of Cyrus with have an option to place all folders in the top level; if we choose that option then this problem will go away. Hopefully as more clients fix their software this problem will improve anyway--Cyrus is slowly becoming more popular, so this issue certainly has more visibility than it did 12 months ago.
Jeremy Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Dec 2001, 10:19 AM   #17
jennifrance

Eudora & SSL

Hello,
Too bad there is no smiley for exhausted! After many progress & regressions, my IMAP Eudora is now functioning. I wish I could say exactly how I got here but there were too many dead ends along the way, including at one point having Eudora turn into a blank, unregistered application!

Whether or not I retain Inbox as my root folder, my other IMAP folders are subsets of Inbox. My current settings (relative to the ones spoken about already) include Inbox as root (IMAP Location), www for the server.

Since I set up IMAP to be my primary email, these new folders --Inbox, Trash & Drafts-- are marked "Dominant" with the exception of the Sent Mail. Some Eudora graphics are now missing (the grid lines that separate message info). I don't know why these things are this way, but since Eudora is now functional, I won't be fooling with any settings for awhile. Too many bad surprises!

I'll keep following this thread & if I can now help anyone else out even a little bit, I'd be happy too. Eudora is the proverbial challenge, isn't it?

Thanks everybody for your input; it all helped me a great deal
jennifrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Dec 2001, 08:56 PM   #18
jennifrance

eudora is crashing again

guess I spoke too soon. I'm back to a former Eudora crash that happens upon opening Eudora: "unhandled exception" followed by "Eudora has caused an error in QCSL.DLL", then "Eudora has caused an error in [unknown]" and/or finally "Eudora has caused an error in MFC42.DLL. Eudora will now close." Does anyone have any idea what this is all about, short of giving up on email servers, which I'm about to do? Thank you.
Old 5 Dec 2001, 03:03 AM   #19
neerav

Re: eudora is crashing again

Quote:
Originally posted by jennifrance
guess I spoke too soon. I'm back to a former Eudora crash that happens upon opening Eudora: "unhandled exception" followed by "Eudora has caused an error in QCSL.DLL", then "Eudora has caused an error in [unknown]" and/or finally "Eudora has caused an error in MFC42.DLL. Eudora will now close." Does anyone have any idea what this is all about, short of giving up on email servers, which I'm about to do? Thank you.
<donning flamewar-proof suit>
Have you tried using the Mac version? Very nice and stable...
</flamewar-proof suit>

Otherwise, there are a couple of great Eudora discussion lists for Mac and for Windows versions. I'll dig up the addresses if anyone is interested.

--Neerav
neerav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Dec 2001, 04:34 AM   #20
jennifrance

Eudora is crashing again.

Is it possible to install a MAC Eudora system into Windows? Is it as simple as downloading the Mac version from Qualcomm? Also, yes, please, I'd like the URLs of the Eudora discussion lists. Thanks
Old 5 Dec 2001, 05:49 AM   #21
neerav

Eudora discussion groups

Quote:
Originally posted by jennifrance
Is it possible to install a MAC Eudora system into Windows? Is it as simple as downloading the Mac version from Qualcomm?
Nope, you have to get a Mac

Quote:
Also, yes, please, I'd like the URLs of the Eudora discussion lists. Thanks
Eudora for mac:
http://www.syndicomm.com/cgi-bin/mj_wwwusr
(unmoderated, free form discussion)

http://www.listmoms.net/lists/eudora-mac/
(semi-moderated, more structured)

Both are good. Each has its benefits.

There are four Eudora for windows discussion lists (see URL below), however, I have no experience with them. The Clio Listmoms Cartel is semi-moderated, giving it a more structured discussion. Yahoo groups comes with all of the benefits and drawbacks of a yahoo group. The other two are listbots, so should be pretty free form.

A great starting point is Andrew Starr's Unofficial Eudora Site (Andrew is THE eMailMan). It's for all things Eudora!

http://www.emailman.com/eudora/index.html

I guess any further general eudora questions belong in the email help forum or one of the eudora discussion groups.

I will entertain questions on the Mac version privately (off-line).

--Neerav
Old 13 Dec 2001, 07:30 PM   #22
mvpittman
Essential Contributor

No more Eudora for me...

Well, my solution was to quit using Eudora. Between the Windows version instability, reports of it now being spyware, the bloatedness since version 4.3 (I was a registered user of 4.22), the Palm Pilot client not working with Eudora IMAP folders, and the Eudora IMAP not working with FastMail folders. I'm done.

I'm currently using Netscape 6, but I still have the IMAP subfolder problem. I really don't want to go to Outlook, but I guess I'm going to have to.

Pegasus Mail worked correctly, but I just found the interface too confusing.

Anyway, this isn't the place to discuss the merits of e-mail clients, but I just wondered if *anyone* got Netscape 6 or Eudora to get rid of the IMAP Inbox subfolder issue.

- Marland
mvpittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Dec 2001, 11:13 PM   #23
neerav

Re: No more Eudora for me...

Quote:
Originally posted by mvpittman
Anyway, this isn't the place to discuss the merits of e-mail clients, but I just wondered if *anyone* got Netscape 6 or Eudora to get rid of the IMAP Inbox subfolder issue.
It's been three months since mvpittman's post. In my final push towards imap and fastmail as primary account, I was wondering if anything had been concluded about the imap inbox issue. It's weird, because I didn't have any such problem when Jeremy asked me about it October (I'm using Eudora 5.1 for Mac). I had to devolve back to pop for a while and now I've made the imap committment. And NOW I'm getting subfolders of Inbox!

I'm searching the Eudora archives and list archives, but haven't found anything yet.

--Neerav
Old 3 Jan 2002, 05:56 AM   #24
spruce

Angry Re: IMAP Mailbox Location Prefix

There still is no answer to this multiple inbox subfolder problem in IMAP, so I am turning off all my folder moving filters on line, and returning to POP downloads & filtering with Eudora 5.1 filters into its local folders.

Since all my other POP email filters are already in Eudora, I will wait until the fabled Eudora Plug-In for synchronizing personalities, filters, signatures, addresses, and messages with an IMAP host is available and working.

Since I will likely be using massive amounts of subfolders, most of which will NOT be left open continually, Eudora's IMAP implementation is currently insufficient for me.

I will thus be doing most of my filtering on the Received: lines which contain plus addressing information (like "for <user+box@fastmail.fm>")

The Eudora SSL problems have been handled well though, thank you.
spruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Jan 2002, 06:50 AM   #25
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

There's nothing that we can do to fix Eudora's IMAP implementation. Has anyone contacted Qualcomm/Eudora to see if they have a fix?
Old 3 Jan 2002, 07:14 PM   #26
mvpittman
Essential Contributor

Eudora IMAP Problems

This may sound sadistic, but I'm glad to see that someone else is having problems. I'm also glad that neerav followed up.

I sent a message to win-eudora-bugs at qualcomm, but I haven't heard anything back...

I'm using Outlook XP at the moment, and pretty much abandoned Eudora. I like the client, but I wasn't able to solve that problem. I stopped using Netscape too.

- Marland
Old 4 Jan 2002, 05:11 AM   #27
neerav

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Howard
There's nothing that we can do to fix Eudora's IMAP implementation. Has anyone contacted Qualcomm/Eudora to see if they have a fix?
I am in the middle of it. Give it just a LITTLE more time.

This forum will be the FIRST to know about the fix when I get it.

--Neerav
Old 4 Jan 2002, 06:26 AM   #28
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

How are you finding Outlook XP, Marland? What are its good and bad points as an IMAP client?

The main thing that looks annoying to me is that it won't store your Sent Items in an IMAP folder. Do you use an Outlook rule to achieve this behaviour, or just not worry about it?
Old 7 Jan 2002, 09:21 AM   #29
mvpittman
Essential Contributor

Hello,

I'd love to give a thoughtful and complete assessment of Outlook XP, but I'm getting ready to take off on my Honeymoon Cruise. I won't be back until next weekend.

Outlook XP works as fine as Outlook 97 and 2000 did for me.

I just haven't worried about Sent Items not being stored. I was looking for that option, but I guess I now know why I couldn't find the Drafts/Sent Items option in Outlook.

Neerav, thanks for following up... I sure wasn't ready to follow up to any degree.

I was a registered user of Eudora 4.22, but I didn't keep up with registration for 4.3 and beyond. Maybe if we get Eudora's IMAP implementation figured out, I'll go back to Eudora...
Old 8 Jan 2002, 06:52 AM   #30
neerav

I had a little too much time on my hands!

Well, I went on an IMAP rampage and tried to set up every account I had which provided IMAP in Eudora. Unfortunately, I only had one!! So I looked for others to sign up for to no success.

Good news and bad news.

Good: Eudora and IMAP work perfectly for myrealbox.com (but I don't use it because half my legit email gets rejected as spam and my friends complain). So Eudora's implimentation is probably not hopeless.

Bad: It implies that the "fault" is with the Cyrus server. However, since IMAP and OE work, that can't be entirely true either. And Jeremy says Cyrus is the new upcoming thing. It would be great when Cyrus 2 is out, but there must still be some other solution.

Could someone using Eudora for Win check out myrealbox and see if it's working correctly (I'm using Mac)?

Hopefully I'll have an answer from Qualcomm in a week's time.

--Neerav