EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Google Gmail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Google Gmail Forum Discussions related to Google's Gmail service should go here: suggestions, tips, comments, requests for help, tech issues etc.

Old 22 Apr 2012, 05:46 AM   #1
webecedarian
Essential Contributor

Trying to evade "new" format

I have a Gmail account I hardly ever use. I became disillusioned with it almost as soon as I opened it, and switched back to Hotmail. But I click into it occasionally to keep it open.

This most recent time, it appeared that there had been a re-format, plus which they wanted to inform you about the privacy rules. The first annoyance was - since I didn't have much time - there was no way to just copy the rules and store for later reading - there was a specific link with other links inside, leaving me wondering if they designed it that way on purpose to make it less likely that people would read. But on top of that, with the format announcement there was an avenue to avoid the new format, but no matter how many times I clicked on it, nothing happened.

What gives?
webecedarian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 22 Apr 2012, 04:16 PM   #2
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

From the Gmail official help page:
Quote:
If your account has been upgraded but you’re not quite ready to make the switch, you can temporarily switch back to old look by clicking the gear icon in the top corner and selecting the option to postpone switching
Note the words "temporarily" and "postpone"....
BTW, if all you want is to login every now and then to keep the account open, does the actual page format really matter?

Gmail's (strictly speaking Google's) new terms and conditions were discussed here (and elsewhere) ad nauseam. One of the main complaints was that everybody got so many notifications of the changes that it was considered close to spamming. I don't recall anybody reporting the new T&C were hard to find and access. Go to any Google/Gmail page and click on "privacy and terms" or "privacy policy" at the bottom. No need to login.

Last edited by janusz : 22 Apr 2012 at 04:22 PM.
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Apr 2012, 01:21 AM   #3
ReuvenNY

The option to temporarily switch back to the old interface has disappeared in all my Gmail accounts...
ReuvenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Apr 2012, 09:09 PM   #4
ReuvenNY

How to cope with the Gmail redesign

Here is an interesting article on "How to cope with the Gmail redesign"

http://jasoncrawford.org/2012/04/how...mail-redesign/
ReuvenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Apr 2012, 10:04 PM   #5
philtec

Get back old gmail

Google it: About 34,800,000 results
I want the old intermediary format back!!
philtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2012, 12:30 AM   #6
just1acc
Essential Contributor

Can't bear the 'scroll' !
just1acc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2012, 09:13 PM   #7
clasof56

clasof56

yeah, i am fighting with the new look also...have made it much better with tips from forums like this. one thing i cant figure out is this: i like keyboard shortcuts. on almost every site i use the hm and end keys to page to top or bottom...so fast and easy. it used to work with the old gmail and now does not in the new. is this a setting in gmail or what? any help would be appreciated...thanks.
clasof56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2012, 03:58 AM   #8
MHartfield

I pulled the plug on GMail and signed up with Fastmail. GMail is simply too slow, looks terrible, and I have found very difficult to deal with if you use e-mail for business (which I do a lot - I'm both a CPA, and I handle publicity for our Church carnival and I simply can't manage the mulitple e-mails al all any more with Gmail. Waiting 10 seconds for a window to open is too much.
MHartfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2012, 07:19 AM   #9
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHartfield View Post
I pulled the plug on GMail and signed up with Fastmail. GMail is simply too slow, looks terrible, and I have found very difficult to deal with if you use e-mail for business (which I do a lot - I'm both a CPA, and I handle publicity for our Church carnival and I simply can't manage the mulitple e-mails al all any more with Gmail. Waiting 10 seconds for a window to open is too much.
Welcome to the forums MHartfield.

While I don't have a Gmail account (I cancelled out a few weeks ago) Gmail was never slow for me, and was in fact one of the fastest services I have used.
David is offline   Reply With Quote